Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Are you living out in Benson or something? I can't say I've ever had such conversations since living here. But then again I'm a Yankee so maybe those folks avoid me in the first place
I like you. And I'm an ignernt Suthner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Hi, from one Ny'er to another come and do your homework before moving here, I seen some of the responses to your post, and you can see the mentality of SOME of the the natives here, it's scary ! They say they are not still fighting the Cival War, but trust me, they are, after almost 5 years here I have run into quite a few that definately are, what I don't get is that you don't hear @#$% like Yankees & Rebels living in NYC, like you do here??? " some claim we ruined the South " I can go on and on what I experianced through conversations I have had thus far. Anyway good luck, I must prepare to get "trashed" for stating my opinion now.....
Every time I read one of your posts I feel kinda sad because I firmly believe that if you'd moved to Cary, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill... You'd like it here.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
It looks like we scared the OP off!

I actually thought the "need to adapt" comment was meant as tongue in cheek. Certainly at worst it was just a little clumsily worded.
I don't think it was. I do think the OP and the folks who struggle with the need to move due to finances, a forced relo, etc ARE a little nervous about stepping out of their comfort zones and more likely to be stubbornly trying to force a new place to be like the one they left.

It's human nature. But, it's not very realistic. Yanno?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I doubt it to be honest. I have met plenty a transplant here who laments the fact that the culture here isn't like whatever state they came from and expects the culture here to change for the "better".
Yeah. Same here.

Thing is, the whole place need not change. Why not work on building organizations, clubs, gatherings, etc to do some of the things they miss from back home? I don't get it.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:08 PM

53 posts, read 88,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yeah. Same here.

Thing is, the whole place need not change. Why not work on building organizations, clubs, gatherings, etc to do some of the things they miss from back home? I don't get it.
Yeah, I never really understood that either. We were sick and tired to the way things were where we grew up and wanted to get out and experience new things, people and locations. Relocating intrigued us for a multitude of reasons, if not for the sheer fact that it was ANYWHERE BUT HOME!! LOL

But, if we felt the other way, that we loved where we came from and still harbored romanticized feelings towards where we grew up, we wouldn't even be here. Not matter what our COL was.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 AM

12 posts, read 28,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dginnc View Post
Well, I thought I was clearly making a joke. However, since we are talking serious now, I saw scrapple on the menu a lot in Long Island in the 90s. But really, yeah. I was speaking more toward stereotypes (I've never seen scrapple on the menu in North Carolina) and less toward realistic food influences. Sorry you missed the point.

I don't even know what scapple is?! lol.

1st thing I must say is, I am not making ANY moves without 1st researching and exhausting all possibilites. I don't expect ANYONE to adapt to my way of thinking of living. I just think that the natives in NC need to be a bit more open minded about all the difference cultures and nationalities that are now relocating to NC.

I do plan on visiting, I would NEVER make a move without fully knowing what I am getting myself in to.

I wish the people on this site were less judgmental. I do not think of y'all as slow or backwards by any means.

So to all of you who have nothing but negative things to say - save it. Stop hiding behind a computer screen, will you be so brave to say these things to my face? I would have to guess not.

For all the other ones with all the great advice. I thank you and would hope that if I EVER make a move be it down the street or NC that I would have neighbors as kind as you.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
There are four things in life that are certain.

I was never hugged as a child....oh wait, that's mine and it really isn't true.
Thanks for the laugh! I am not doing this based on cost of living alone. There's a ton of things that I could list of why I would want to make this move, but frankly why bore everyone with my list.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Embrace of Negativity comes in many many guises.
Acceptance of the "right" negativity as gospel is rationalized by personal biases, so some of us attack folks who don't fit our biases.
"The Triangle CD Defense Corps" (I like that as much as the "CD Welcoming Committee!") comes to mind immediately in this context.

Regardless of my profession, which is not relevant to the conversation, I am OK with many folks and their various foibles. "Diversity" and "Tolerance" may mean different things to different people. Do we get to designate the meaning of "Diversity" and "Tolerance" and sit on our definitions to the exclusion of those who do not fit our biases? I hope not.

I really could hardly care less where the OP ends up, LI, NC, Timbuktu or Kalamazoo, as long as she and her family are happy. Is it a weakness that I truly couldn't wish less for any stranger? I hope not.
That I could treat her rudely and slam the door in her face doesn't fit my personal bias of positivity. Actually, what I saw was a series of posts from someone struggling with choices.

Thank you! I really appreciate your post.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellepro View Post
I don't even know what scapple is?! lol.

1st thing I must say is, I am not making ANY moves without 1st researching and exhausting all possibilites. I don't expect ANYONE to adapt to my way of thinking of living. I just think that the natives in NC need to be a bit more open minded about all the difference cultures and nationalities that are now relocating to NC.

I do plan on visiting, I would NEVER make a move without fully knowing what I am getting myself in to.

I wish the people on this site were less judgmental. I do not think of y'all as slow or backwards by any means.

So to all of you who have nothing but negative things to say - save it. Stop hiding behind a computer screen, will you be so brave to say these things to my face? I would have to guess not.

For all the other ones with all the great advice. I thank you and would hope that if I EVER make a move be it down the street or NC that I would have neighbors as kind as you.
Go read your posts again. Perhaps if you'd worded your initial post as thoughtfully as you worded this one? You'd have gotten different responses.

Thing is, we are used to relos. Especially here in the Cary/Morrisville area.

When I go to Netflix and I get suggestions based on what my neighbors are watching? Many of them are in Hindi.

I have absolutely no problem telling people what I think in person. At all.

CD is a funny place. It's easy to get branded as too negative (or too positive). Probably just one of the hazards of online communication.

Given the things you've said so far? This place would be a huge adjustment for you. I suggest sticking to areas with the most transplants. Cary, Chapel Hill, North Raleigh all seem like good places to start.

Best of luck!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM

21 posts, read 49,683 times
Just curious what is your all ages? i am a single guy in my late 20s and i hate it here, moved here from long island 3 years, been meaning to move back since unfortunally I have not been able to, it is also very upsetting the whole housing situation on Long Island, the rent is super expensive, the apts are so ugly and old and most of them are all basements and they all want at least $1200 plus one single person, no pets (and I have two beautiful yorkies) how in the world can a regular person afford that, I grew up on long island is so sad to see what the Island has become. Raleigh is more family oriented, I dont have any kids and I dont plant on, since I moved here I had to go on medication from depression and panic attacks, all of my family lives on Long Island but I would not go back home, is just a sad situation when you have to live the place and friends that you know just so that you are able to live in a decent place. hopefully I wont be here for long...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary