Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 06:51 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,138,254 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am looking for a bird house pole with a baffle so that squirrels and snakes can not get to the food.

I have checked Lowes and Home Depot with no luck. Someone has suggested a bird house specialty store near Walmart in Cary. Killdiaire Road area. I have searched but can not find address or website. Does anyone have any insight into this store?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,138,254 times
I think I may have found it: Wild Birds Unlimited | Bird Food, Bird Seed, Bird Feeder, Birdhouse, Bird Bath, hummingbirds

Old 02-11-2012, 06:55 AM

43,028 posts, read 76,539,610 times
I believe Wild Birds Unlimited in Crescent Commons closed years ago.
wild birds unlimited near 27513, NC - Bing Local

I think you can get pole baffles at Ace Hardware.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,121,885 times
Naw, it's still there. I was just over there for breakfast this morning. How it stays open is beyond me.

And I'm pretty sure I saw pole baffles at the Kildaire Ace Hardware when I was there last weekend.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:09 AM

677 posts, read 1,897,423 times
Wild Birds Unlimited is there and will definitely have what you need. Pricey, but worth it in my bird-watching-opinion

Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,755,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
wild birds unlimited is there and will definitely have what you need. Pricey, but worth it in my bird-watching-opinion
+1

Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,581,213 times
I've found a plastic baffles that mount on a pole at either Home Depot or Lowes for about $12. I'm going to Lowes this morning so will post later if I see one there. Ace Hardware might have something as well. I've only been to WBU once, and it was just too expensive for me (plus they had those little moths flying around the bird seed bags!). I buy seed either from Ace or Whole Foods (they have Cole's brand, for a buck or two less than Ace). I get so many sparrows I feed primarily black oil sunflower seed. Those guys eat me out of house and home!

I'm about to replace the pole and shepherd's hook I have with a 7' 4x4 post. It'll have a bird feeder mounted on top as well as four 15" brackets to hang feeders from. I've been accumulating the various items needed from online sources, and the last thing I need is a 4x4 post (hence the trip to Lowes!). I hope it's worth all the effort in the end!

PS - This is similar to the baffle I found locally:
http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Outdoor-...ef=pd_sim_sg_2

Last edited by adlnc07; 02-11-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 02-11-2012, 09:45 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,288,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Naw, it's still there. I was just over there for breakfast this morning. How it stays open is beyond me.
There's also one in Raleigh. I buy all of my bird seed there. I use safflower and thistle, and it's much, much cheaper to buy there in 20 lb. bags than it is anywhere else. They also have a frequent buyer's program; it costs about $25 per year, but you get a nice discount on seed, plus $10 coupons after spending a certain dollar amount throughout the year. The way the birds go through seed around here, it really helps. I saved about $150 last year.

They also have some great feeders - my favorites are the ones made out of recycled milk jugs, and have a lifetime guarantee.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,581,213 times
To follow up, Ace Hardware had a metal baffle that would fit any shepherd's hook for around $25.

Frankly, I wish I had seen a post holder a long time ago - yesterday I assembled this:

Much sturdier than the poles & shepherd's hooks I had been using! I need to stain the part holding the feeder on top, but overall I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I could only get a 6' post from Home Depot -I had hoped for 7' but the next size up was 8' (and they can't cut 4x4's in the store).

So far the birds seem to like it and I haven't seen squirrels attempting to get up it. Everything stayed attached in the crazy wind last night as well!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,014,238 times
I hope it works for you. My dad tried various things like that and they never did. His last attempt was a post that would spin if a squirrel got on it (it knew by weight I guess). It worked for a while, but then the squirrels got smart and would just hang on while they ate lol! Nothing more entertaining than looking out the window to see a squirrel spinning round and round on a pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary