Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:56 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Wow...see that Mike? I keep saying it and saying it and look what happened: TurborgP got it! I think Coltank had it! Danadana gets it! And...KodakMoment got it!!!

Y'all make me proud!!! Can I give points for this?!!

Vicki

Good Job!
I think I even got it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 09:41 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Good Job!
I think I even got it!
Well, you know they do say that women ARE smarter than men!!! Ok, ok...I'm just kidding (sort of)!!!

Vicki

Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 AM

204 posts, read 845,547 times
Back to the original topic... My husband and I explored a number of new home communities this past weekend. We were given options price lists at 3 of them (K Hov in Kensington Manor, Centex at Highland Creek and I forget which other one. Those price lists were extremely helpful, especially with Centex where even the door knobs have a list of upgraded styles!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 PM

347 posts, read 933,835 times
good luck getting one from KB. I had no problems getting one from anyone else.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 PM

My opinion is the reason KB doesn't like to give the option list out is that they have the LARGEST list of options!

Take the base price of the KB Home you like. Add 10% to 20% and thats what your home will most likely cost by the time you are done adding the options.

I had two clients build the same house in Windcrest (KB in Holly Springs). Both base prices were the same...around $165,000. Client #1 spent $290,000 and client #2 spent $310,000.

Hope that helps.

Vicki

Old 12-05-2007, 08:43 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Don't forget that KB's best salespeople work at the selection centers, too. Their business model is very strong in that department-get the customer to see all of the beautiful upgrades they can have for only a few dollars per month...

Old 12-05-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Don't forget that KB's best salespeople work at the selection centers, too. Their business model is very strong in that department-get the customer to see all of the beautiful upgrades they can have for only a few dollars per month...
Its a KNOWN FACT that when you go to the design center, the prices are 2 to 3 times what the retail prices are. So the design center folks are there to sell you alot of options.

I asked once how KB could justify charging $600 for a garage door opener when you could buy one from Lowes for about $100 and another $100 for installation.

The response was that some people PREFER the convenience of having the garage door there when they move in and the convenience of paying for it over 30 years!

Vicki

Old 12-05-2007, 08:57 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
For whatever it's worth, I was told by my KB Salesperson at the design studio that she was not paid on commission, and if she was lying or not - to her credit she did not try to push me into any upgrades that I didn't want, and in fact several times worked with me to find less expensive alternatives for some items.

I don't mind commissioned sales staff for a lot of things; I think it provides incentive to be good at what you do, but I wanted to be aware of it were that the situation.

And KB's price list is really huge. They may hesitate to give it to just anyone not only because it's going to fluxuate, but it's also 45 pages long. My office sales agent was upfront whenever we had an upgrade price question with providing ballpark figures that were quite accurate before we signed anything.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Its a KNOWN FACT that when you go to the design center, the prices are 2 to 3 times what the retail prices are. So the design center folks are there to sell you alot of options.

I asked once how KB could justify charging $600 for a garage door opener when you could buy one from Lowes for about $100 and another $100 for installation.

The response was that some people PREFER the convenience of having the garage door there when they move in and the convenience of paying for it over 30 years!

Vicki
When I went through KB's design studio, I was very well versed on what local home improvement and appliance stores were charging. I disagree with the 2 to 3 times figure. I don't disagree that there's a premium, but it's not completely out of line.

The $600 garage door opener is for a top of the line belt drive unit. I went with a chain drive, which was about $240. The same one is on sale at Sears for $180. The last time I had one installed it set me back $75, so that's right in line. True you can get the belt drive one for well under $600 - I'm guessing that's there for folks who really aren't too smart - I can't blame them too much for parting fools with their money in some cases.

KB's prices for flooring are pretty inflated though; probably because they know they've gotcha pretty good there - a lot easier to install when you don't have to move any furniture. Tile prices were equally bad for bathrooms and such.

With EVERY SINGLE Design Studio option I asked myself if it was worth paying for 30 years. That made it a lot easier, and I reccomend that approach to everyone.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,507 times
Do you know what is the prices in a new home to upgrade the bathdroom separate the shower? also I need to know cost of different color of cabinets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary