U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2007, 10:11 AM

3,124 posts, read 8,796,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
Timely topic. I'm getting settled in and ready to stock a small bar. Is ABC the *only* place you can buy booze or something? I honestly haven't researched it, though my wife and I did notice that we hadn't seen a single liquor store anywhere though there's a few different seemingly wine-related stores.
Yes, in NC, you buy it at ABC stores. Some are larger then others as well....so not all carry everything. Most are staffed with friendly folks (the one's I've been in) and they will special order something for you if they can.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 10:44 AM

1,874 posts, read 4,180,577 times
If you are buying a large amount of booze at one time from the ABC to stock up a bar, you may have to sign for it. (I would guess this is to discourage bars from trying to skirt their higher taxes).

Old 09-06-2007, 11:11 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,050,362 times
NH is the cheapest place to buy liquor, even cheaper than privately run liquor stores. The state monopoly on liquor in NH is the only state liquor monopoly that actually serves to LOWER prices rather than raise them as a sort of twisted "sin tax".

Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,050,362 times
By the way, be happy you are not in Ontario or Quebec. Liquor there is 60% to 80% more than the same bottle here in the U.S. And they have a state monopoly (LCBO in Ontario and SAQ in Quebec). Seriously!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:32 AM

2,392 posts, read 3,250,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Yep! In CA we could buy alcohol in places like Cost Co and SAMS CLub. On my trip back in July I stocked up (enough to fill a suit case) on liquor at Cost CO. and brought it home. I am sure the airline I was flying on must have thought I had a wee bit of a alcohol problem My neighbor told me every time they go to the Bahamas or Caribbean they stock up there. One of the examples in price difference between Cost Co in Ca and ABC was Malibu Rum.. Huge warehouse size bottle for $16. Here a small bottle is $20. Plus all types of wines from Napa and Temecula valley in CA for around $5 a bottle. I did just find out though that I can call the wineries in CA and they will ship to me directly.
When I moved here I thought that I could go to Sam's or Costco to buy my favor gin b/c I had bought it at Costco in AZ and from a Sam's in Jax, Fl. To my surprise, I found out that the State of NC only allows ABC stores, which are run by the state, to sell liquor. That's was the wierdest thing to me b/c the ABC stores in FL sell liquor and beer and they're not run by the state. The bottle of Lemon Vodka that I bought from a ABC in Durham was something like 25 dollars. That's much higher than what I've paid before at other places.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:08 PM

8,480 posts, read 15,427,610 times
Yep, spiritous liquor is only sold at ABC stores.

Beer & wine is all over the place.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:25 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,541,465 times
NC actually sells wine in places like Target, etc. In Virginia they can't sell wine in Target or Wal-mart. The ABC store prices in VA are similar, with some liquor being slightly less I imagine.

I could never imagine walking into Costco, BJ's, etc and buying liqour. That would be AWESOME!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 PM

107 posts, read 295,546 times
Default ABC is expensive, however, employees benefit

I was surprised at the prices at the ABC store as well. I'm from WI where beer and liquor stores are privately owned and booze was much cheaper. I mentioned it to an employee in the ABC store and he said that liquor is more expensive but since the employees were government employees they actually got the government benefits such as health insurance and retirement plans. I actually don't mind paying a little bit more for the liquor if the employees are getting benefits. I can't imagine the pay for working in a liquor store to be that great and everyone still deserves access to health insurance. My father owned liquor stores when I was a kid and my dad had to pay a lot of money for a minimal insurance plan for our family.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:20 PM

64 posts, read 276,920 times
This is very good information. I take frequent trips, and bringing back a few bottles, when needed, will help me avoid buying the top shelf liquors at the ABC.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:32 PM

281 posts, read 734,106 times
Default Tea Todelers

Not sure if I spelled that right. We moved here from CA where liquor was even in drug stores, and they had generic! Big bottles that said "GIN", "VODKA" etc. And Cheap! We moved here with a bunch of bottles in our moving van and still have them. We've only purchased one bottle since 1994! Maybe it's having kids. The funny thing was I thought ABC stores sold teacher supplies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary