Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 8,761 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've been trying to decide on where to take someone I'm just going out with for the first time in Raleigh. I've seen some different places mentioned (i.e. the luna cafe), but am thinking about the Rockford. I'm looking for a place that is quiet enough to have a conversation and nice enough to impress her, without going too far. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
42nd street? Are you wanting regional dining or just a night with good food? The Pit is another good choice. I have heard a lot about 4 Square, but it is in Durham.
Also Second Empire, Melting Pot and Duck & Dumpling...the list goes on..

Old 02-20-2012, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,761 times
^I'm mostly looking for good food with casual dining. I should also add that I'm 21 and she's 19. So places centered around alcohol are out of the question.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:50 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
No, the rockford is not nice enough to impress anyone.

I would go with Jibarra or Humble Pie.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM

924 posts, read 2,102,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
No, the rockford is not nice enough to impress anyone.
Personally, I think The Rockford is an ideal choice, although there are certainly other good options, too. To me, if the OP is relying on the fanciness of the restaurant to "impress" his date, it would indicate that there's something wrong either with him, or with her, or with the dynamic between them. The Rockford is simple, understated, and unpretentious, but still fun and distinctive. Plus, as you say, it's quiet and calm enough that you can actually have a real conversation, it's not outrageously expensive, and it's not an establishment focused solely on alcohol. And best of all, the food is really good, so that both you and she are likely to find something to eat there. If that (plus you yourself) doesn't impress her, then she ain't worth impressin', IMHO. But it's all a matter of preference and opinion, and maybe your (or your date's) personality or opinion are different. Best of luck!

Last edited by tompope; 02-20-2012 at 04:54 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 04:11 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
A lot of people dont remember what its like to be 21 and 19, but trust your instinct. I don't know the Rockford, but I am weary of any advice that says its not good enough, especially from somebody who doesn't know you (no offense intended, just think the guy should trust his instincts and be true to who he is).

If it were me I'd go somewhere good and fun. Definitely not a chain, be unique, but maybe a good Italian place, or if you are both adventurous try a Thai place, or maybe Neo Asia, or something like that. Even an upscale pizza place would be OK.

I would avoid getting anything "on the bone". Wings, ribs, bone-in chicken all can be messy and are potentially bad for a date.

Me? I am old,and not trying to impress anyone, so I'd probably take her to Roast Grill for some hot dogs and a bottle of coke. If she didn't laugh in my face I'd know she is a-ok... :-)

Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Personally, I think The Rockford is an ideal choice, although there are certainly other good options, too. To me, if the OP is relying on the fanciness of the restaurant to "impress" his date, it would indicate that there's something wrong either with him, or with her, or with the dynamic between them. The Rockford is simple, understated, and unpretentious, but still fun and distinctive. Plus, as you can say, it's quiet and calm enough that you can actually have a real conversation, it's not outrageously expensive, and it's not an establishment focused solely on alcohol. And best of all, the food is really good, so that both you and she are likely to find something to eat there. If that (plus you yourself) doesn't impress her, then she ain't worth impressin', IMHO. But it's all a matter of preference and opinion, and maybe your (or your date's) personality or opinion are different. Best of luck!
I completely agree. Remember, the OP is 21 and his date is 19. When I was a State student, it was a big deal to go somewhere like the Rockford (okay...so the Rockford didn't exist when I was at State...but, I digress...). There is absolutely nothing wrong with that choice. Similar in vibe but a few bucks more expensive is 5 Star in the Warehouse District. Just be careful not to go too late or they might start carding for entrance. They don't card during normal dinner hours. Especially if you sit in the back dining room, it's quiet and easy to have a nice conversation. I can taste the crispy sesame beef right now! Yum....

Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
The two times I've been to The Rockford, it was loud enough that I had trouble talking with my small group. I guess it depends if you are going on a peak day/time or not. I would suggest Irregardless.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Remedy Diner
Rockford
Irregardless Cafe
Gravy
Sitti
Buku

I would recommend any of those listed above. I have them in order of most casual (top) to more "fancy" (bottom).

Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Remedy Diner
Rockford
Irregardless Cafe
Gravy
Sitti
Buku

I would recommend any of those listed above. I have them in order of most casual (top) to more "fancy" (bottom).
Remedy is loud, small and very cramped. Neighbors are too close for comfort if I was trying to get to know someone. Irregardless, Gravy and Sitti are sort of pricy for a college student and Buku is seriously high end for a college student first date. That's more of a yuppie first date place IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary