Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM

16 posts, read 24,237 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are finally moving to Raleigh after several long months of job searches. He got an offer and we're moving in 3 weeks. We're talking to landlords and property managers and are wondering if anyone has had luck negotiating with them? For example, the house is perfect except for the carpets. Has anyone tried to suggest "I'll sign a year lease if you replace the carpets with pergo?", or replace the stove, etc. I'm a chicken when it comes to negotiating but there's often just one thing wrong with the house.

for more info: we're looking to rent a single family in the $1200-1600 range close to State and the beltline and have one child and two dogs.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,144,513 times
I think that you can ASK for anything if you don't draw a line in the sand. But that being said, the rental market around here is pretty saturated with renters, and inventory seems to be at a low (I don't have any insight, other than having recently shopped for an apartment). I'd say that you don't hold a lot of leverage as a renter, because there are probably 10 people in line for the same house, ESPECIALLY if it is pet-friendly, and worth living in, and a great deal.

So yeah, you can "ask", but I would not make a demand unless you are prepared to walk.

AFTERTHOUGHT:
Also, it occurs to me as I type:
If you have a dog, I doubt anyone is going to be interested in putting in Pergo, it will only get scratched and not be new by the time you move out....

Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 AM

447 posts, read 1,616,990 times
Hi, I don't think you'll have much luck with negotiating. There is high demand in Raleigh to rent single-family homes. Especially in the areas and price range you are looking at.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
It never hurts to ASK. And then ASK AGAIN! Remember...if a place is for rent, the landlord wants to rent it and if they haven't had lots of potential renters looking at the property, they may be more willing to negotiate. If you don't ask, you won't get!

Vicki

Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,137,319 times
With the rental market being squarely in favor of landlords right now, I doubt you'd get very far asking for things like Pergo installed. Think of it from the landlord's point of view. If their renter destroys carpet, it's cheap to replace and could very well be covered in full by the security deposit. If Pergo gets destroyed, it's much more expensive to replace and you'd most likely be left billing the renter and hoping you don't have to send them to collections to get your money back.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,181,849 times
Sure you can ask, but you may have better luck specifying "new flooring" not just limiting it to Pergo. Homes go quickly down here so there's likely someone willing to rent it "as is" right behind you. We're in a rental right now and there were 4 other families looking at the house we're in currently. Others were getting swooped up before we could get to them.

Now, if you were going to rent the house we're in, I'd say negotiate waaaay down as floors creak, doors don't close, electrical is messed up, the floors and counters slant, it is very breezy (think living in swiss cheese) and we're positive there is paranormal activity. Cute from the outside though.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,599,834 times
I can't imagine a landlord wanting to spend the $$ on new flooring before a tenant moves in with two dogs. Plus, not everyone likes Pergo so that may limit the rental desirability in the future.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 AM

16 posts, read 24,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Sure you can ask, but you may have better luck specifying "new flooring" not just limiting it to Pergo. Homes go quickly down here so there's likely someone willing to rent it "as is" right behind you. We're in a rental right now and there were 4 other families looking at the house we're in currently. Others were getting swooped up before we could get to them.

Now, if you were going to rent the house we're in, I'd say negotiate waaaay down as floors creak, doors don't close, electrical is messed up, the floors and counters slant, it is very breezy (think living in swiss cheese) and we're positive there is paranormal activity. Cute from the outside though.
Thanks all! I mentioned Pergo because I was (stupidly) thinking it was cheap laminate that was easier to replace than carpet. I know that dogs can be tough on hardwood and carpet so was looking for something easier. We're good dog owners and take care of homes but there's always that risk. So, cncsmomndad, where are you moving? Are you looking at another rental or buying? Just curious!

Sounds like I need to be very careful in my discussions so as not to negotiate myself OUT in this market.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,181,849 times
We're buying new construction to be completed in June. Our "Caspar" has started physically moving things in the house this past week which makes it interesting.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM

447 posts, read 1,616,990 times
I think cncsmomndad needs to post in the Haunted Raleigh thread that is in this forum somewhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary