U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 PM

8,655 posts, read 15,937,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
I have understood that Journey Church is good. Journey Church - Raleigh, North Carolina - Home Never been myself though. I have seen the commercials. They have sermons online as well.
It is good and Pastor Jimmy is dynamic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 PM

8,655 posts, read 15,937,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllytheArtist View Post
We also visited Vineyard, knowing it's reputation from the Vineyard churches in CA, but felt this one was so different. I agree with last post, great for new
Christians i.e. the "un-churched" that are uncomfortable with church environment. My husband and I felt lacking in "meat" in sermons and didn't feel the anointing.

I'm not familiar with SG, checked out there website but Apex is too far for us. Love the people at Grace Community, sweet, sweet people, great staff, yet miss former pastor. When we tried GC again, thinking okay, let's give it another try we found the new pastor didn't do a thing for us. Lacking the "spirit" and meat there was before. But definitely an excellent childrens and youth program!

I define spirit-filled ministry, when you can discern an anointing with the pastor/s and worship. And they are operating out of the "flow" of the Holy Spirit's anointing rather than a performance what I call "man doing". What I desire is to experience the move of God and be transformed by Him via the anointing that is larger than the pastor/s or worship team. It's getting into the river of the anointing and allowing it to carry you. Lives are transformed, words given by the Holy Spirit become life changing rather than another Hot 10 List of how to improve your life or intellectual theologies. As I've learned, a man with an experience is never at the mercy with a man with an argument. Once you've experienced the anointing it's so sweet and precious, it's hard to go back.
I agree about Grace. We left after Pastor Craig was forced out. Tried several more services at intervals and were disappointed. Craig was a very big loss to the church.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 PM

795 posts, read 1,651,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedavid View Post
We moved to the Triangle several months ago and are having a hard time finding a spirit-filled church that also is solid doctrinally.

There are plenty of doctrinally sound, conservative churches. And plenty of "Holy Ghost Tabernacle of Faith House of Deliverance and Healing" wacky churches. But what we would like is in the middle: doctrine and the Holy Spirit.... truth and passion. It's always a hard combination to find.

We have tried ...

C3 Church - Clayton... worship is great. People seem great. But sermons are milk toast. Great for baby Christians though.

Hope Community Church - Cary... seems not spirit-filled. Seems a little pretentious.

Sovreign Grace Church - Apex... never visited, but listened to sermons online. Looks doctrinally strong. But sermons -- though nice exposition -- fairly boring, even for me. Probably a little small (300) for us also. Don't know about worship.
Not sure if you've found a church home yet and didn't want to scan thru 6 pages of posts to see if you've tried our church. We're at Wakefield Baptist Church on Falls of the Neuse Rd. We moved here in March and visited only one other church prior to calling WBC our new church home. We're the sister church of Bayleaf Baptist Church. We absolutely love it! In addition, it's doctrinally sound and definately Spirit filled. Our children ages 12,13, and 17 love it as well. They had always felt that pastors from previous churches we've attended spoke over their heads, but Pastor Scott presents the Word of God in a manner that even they can understand and grow in their walk with the Lord. Our music director is formerly from the well-known Coral Ridge Ministries. We'd love to have you visit us sometime.

Blessings!
Wakefield Baptist Church (http://wakefieldbaptist.org/templates/System/default.asp?id=31276 - broken link)

Old 08-25-2008, 10:15 AM

130 posts, read 387,153 times
tluehrs1-Are you willing to drive to Garner? I live in Clayton and we spent 2 yrs looking for a church. We found Victory Fellowship in Garner. It is on Aversboro Rd. Been there for 4 yrs now and love it. Give it a try. Two services-8:30 and 10:30.

Victory Fellowship Church :: Main

Old 08-25-2008, 06:56 PM

19 posts, read 52,500 times
Default spirit filled churches

Thanks to all who replied back to me. We will certainly try a few of these churches. May God bless you all richly for all your kindness!
Hope to meet some of you soon!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:34 PM

what about connections church in Raleigh..............?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:40 PM

Hurricane, I know you posted this almost a year ago. Have you ever locked into a church yet? We've been searching for close to 2 years now and still haven't found what we're looking for. We did attend Charisma Church for several months, but don't believe it's where God is leading us.
Teri

Old 08-31-2008, 05:18 PM

137 posts, read 1,126,011 times
I've been watching this thread closely since I started it. I'm glad that it seems to have helped some to gain some info.

We really did not find a church that had the same level of outward manifestations/expectation of the Holy Spirit (see footnote) as our church back in Nebraska.

Caveat: I did not do an exhaustive search. I didn't get the phone book out and go through all the churches, calling (or visiting the site of) every single one. So I'm not saying there's none out there.

We think God lead us to Crosspointe Church. Why?
  1. Both the two main speaking pastors (Jonathan Bow and Steve Daugherty) really know their stuff and present it in innovative, relevant, and provoking ways. If you're looking for "meaty sermons", Steve is your guy. Accompanying their knowledge is a heart of passion and humility, both of which are also evident in what I can see of their leadership as well.
  2. Size. We wanted a church that would offer programs that would allow us to create relationships with brothers and sisters in Christ. We are fairly new to the area, and don't come in with an already-established set of Christian friends.
  3. An openness to the Spirit. The church may not have more than two or three persons raising their hands during the worship. Or they may not have people dancing/jumping up front or in the aisles. But I perceive that they (the pastors and the worship team specifically) are trying to lead the congregation into more involvement with the Spirit. I'll bet they would be thrilled if a bunch of folks jumped up during a rockin song and went up to the front in a dancy kind of way as if they were in a rock concert. I also feel, and think I have seen in action, that they also see the worship service order of events as being flexible and yielding to what God might be doing.

It's big, but I believe I've discussed the pros and cons of that earlier on in the thread. It also has a LOT of new visitors/members who I think are trying to figure all this out. So even though the congregation may not be exuberant in worship, I'm hoping that God-based excitement may come in the future because I do see that in the heart of the pastors and the worship folks.

I also must mention that sometimes God doesn't lead you to the church that matches the particular forumula that you set for yourself at the start of your search.

I also think that it is better to just land somewhere and to put the priority on being the best Jesus-follower you can, instead of waiting and waiting to find the "best" church.

** When I spoke of "outward manifestations/expectation of the Holy Spirit" I meant...
  • If I were to tell someone in a traditional protestant church (the example here of the Spirit-ually "frozen") that my shoulder was really bothering me, they might show concern, but not do much. Perhaps they would say they would pray for me (which usually means they'll forget). At a hyper-charismatic church (the example here of Spiritually fanatical), the friend would gather a bunch of folks around me to immediately pray for me with the laying on of hands as some went off in an unknown gibberish/prayer language, and others had their hands on my forehead and were pushing me backwards, expecting me to be "slain in the spirit". Afterwards, they would tell me how I had been healed, and that I just needed to claim it, and if that didn't work, it was because I didn't have enough faith. I think what is closest to how I see the real Kingdom of God is something between the two: immediate prayer (if possible), with a hope and expectation that God would step in and heal by His mercy. The "frozen" (if they must pray) will throw in a lot of "if it be your will, God", but I think the Bible shows that we should ask with a heart like little children, asking for something we really really want.
  • In worship, the "frozen" will sing from their hymnals as if in a funeral. The "fanatics" will all be speaking in different tongues, jumping and dancing all over the place, falling down ("slain in the spirit"), laughing "in the spirit", or other things that really give a feel of chaos (and there also may be an expectation that you are not spiritual enough if you don't do something similar). I don't see anything wrong with hymnals or dancing, but I think the secret is somewhere in the middle.
  • Of course, I realize that this is my opinion/interpretation, and not what everyone should take as fact.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:21 PM

I appreciate your honesty. We moved here from Ohio going on 2 years ago and have been church hopping since we got here. We keep looking for something similar to what we left which was Charismatic and that congregation was on fire and really in love with Jesus. We just haven't found that here. (I don't mean to be judgemental....) Perhaps we'll try Crosspointe in the future. Thanks for your feedback. It does help knowing that we're not the only ones that feels the same way.
thanks! tlluehrs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedavid View Post
I've been watching this thread closely since I started it. I'm glad that it seems to have helped some to gain some info.

We really did not find a church that had the same level of outward manifestations/expectation of the Holy Spirit (see footnote) as our church back in Nebraska.

Caveat: I did not do an exhaustive search. I didn't get the phone book out and go through all the churches, calling (or visiting the site of) every single one. So I'm not saying there's none out there.

We think God lead us to Crosspointe Church. Why?
  1. Both the two main speaking pastors (Jonathan Bow and Steve Daugherty) really know their stuff and present it in innovative, relevant, and provoking ways. If you're looking for "meaty sermons", Steve is your guy. Accompanying their knowledge is a heart of passion and humility, both of which are also evident in what I can see of their leadership as well.
  2. Size. We wanted a church that would offer programs that would allow us to create relationships with brothers and sisters in Christ. We are fairly new to the area, and don't come in with an already-established set of Christian friends.
  3. An openness to the Spirit. The church may not have more than two or three persons raising their hands during the worship. Or they may not have people dancing/jumping up front or in the aisles. But I perceive that they (the pastors and the worship team specifically) are trying to lead the congregation into more involvement with the Spirit. I'll bet they would be thrilled if a bunch of folks jumped up during a rockin song and went up to the front in a dancy kind of way as if they were in a rock concert. I also feel, and think I have seen in action, that they also see the worship service order of events as being flexible and yielding to what God might be doing.
It's big, but I believe I've discussed the pros and cons of that earlier on in the thread. It also has a LOT of new visitors/members who I think are trying to figure all this out. So even though the congregation may not be exuberant in worship, I'm hoping that God-based excitement may come in the future because I do see that in the heart of the pastors and the worship folks.

I also must mention that sometimes God doesn't lead you to the church that matches the particular forumula that you set for yourself at the start of your search.

I also think that it is better to just land somewhere and to put the priority on being the best Jesus-follower you can, instead of waiting and waiting to find the "best" church.

** When I spoke of "outward manifestations/expectation of the Holy Spirit" I meant...
  • If I were to tell someone in a traditional protestant church (the example here of the Spirit-ually "frozen") that my shoulder was really bothering me, they might show concern, but not do much. Perhaps they would say they would pray for me (which usually means they'll forget). At a hyper-charismatic church (the example here of Spiritually fanatical), the friend would gather a bunch of folks around me to immediately pray for me with the laying on of hands as some went off in an unknown gibberish/prayer language, and others had their hands on my forehead and were pushing me backwards, expecting me to be "slain in the spirit". Afterwards, they would tell me how I had been healed, and that I just needed to claim it, and if that didn't work, it was because I didn't have enough faith. I think what is closest to how I see the real Kingdom of God is something between the two: immediate prayer (if possible), with a hope and expectation that God would step in and heal by His mercy. The "frozen" (if they must pray) will throw in a lot of "if it be your will, God", but I think the Bible shows that we should ask with a heart like little children, asking for something we really really want.
  • In worship, the "frozen" will sing from their hymnals as if in a funeral. The "fanatics" will all be speaking in different tongues, jumping and dancing all over the place, falling down ("slain in the spirit"), laughing "in the spirit", or other things that really give a feel of chaos (and there also may be an expectation that you are not spiritual enough if you don't do something similar). I don't see anything wrong with hymnals or dancing, but I think the secret is somewhere in the middle.
  • Of course, I realize that this is my opinion/interpretation, and not what everyone should take as fact.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 AM

17 posts, read 45,165 times
The Church of The Apostles
The Church of the Apostles, Raleigh, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary