Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
evaofnc - sorry have to disagree with you. I've driven the I-40 route and just about any you think of in the yrs I've lived here. i now take 540 every single day from Knightdale to Durham and it's a good route. And, we are talking of North Raleigh rather than Wakefield which, while technically is in Raleigh, is across the street from Wake Forest. The North Raleigh that I was thinking of for the OP was anything between the beltline and 540 as well as immediately north of 540 rather than as far as Wakefield. They could be home within 5-10 minutes of 540. Although, there are so many back roads routes around these areas, too numerous to mention, one wouldn't have to go on 540 or even 40 if they didn't want to. you can take Alexander to 70, to Brier Creek or North and NW Raleigh and be there in 20 minutes.

My thoughts on suggesting N Raleigh are that ppl looking to move here often seem to think Cary is the only place that has everything and is the perfect place for everyone. While Cary is very nice, (my daughter loves living there) they often overlook many other areas that would work just as well and perhaps wouldn't be as expensive or, for the same price, would be closer to or in Raleigh which would give them a different flavor of the area - older established mom and pop stores, more malls, more recreation opportunities, etc. Cary as it is now, is a relatively new place - lots of new build. Raleigh feels very different.

I think it's important to share with folks outside this area that there are many options and not just Cary and Clayton which seems to be all folks in other states hear about.
I agree. But then, I often agree with you!!!

So many folks relocate here, thinking they want Cary, only to find something they love in Wake Forest. So many relocate here, wanting to live in Wake Forest and find they love Cary.

I've had clients come here, with the idea that they must have 3 acres in Clayton, only to discover that they may get 1 acre, in their price range) but they'd prefer to have less land and more conveniences (malls)!

So, to anyone that doesn't KNOW the area, you are going to be surprised when you find that the area you end up in may not be the area you originally thought you'd want. Like Raleighlass says, keep an open mind.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,126 times
we are from Westborough,which is a western suburb.
I do agree that it depends on what list one looks at because for example Boston mag's best of everything rarely covers anything outside of route 495 while other lists cover the west suburbs and westborough schools make it to the list year after year as one of the best. Living here, I also agree the education is excellent but that said it would be unfair to severely judge other states sitting here.

Since we will be moving for sure, and our jobs will be in RTP, we were trying to figure out the general consensus as to what school district or which school in cary-morrisville area stands out based on everyone's opinion so we can shortlist the rental apts around it.

Here is the list we made solely from reviews on the net and possibly the corresponding schools that fall under the area. any tips, advise, reviews and info on schools that correspond to these apts will be very helpful.

Morrisville: Bexley park, oaks at weston,madison at treybrook, crosstimbers.
Cary:Marquis at preston, waterford, Cornerstone,bexley at carpenter village,the lodge at crossroads.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,137,959 times
Unfortunately nobody can really give you a list of which schools correspond with those apartments because of the new "choice plan" the school district implemented this year. I suggest reading the various Wake County School threads on this board to better understand the situation. Where is used to be that one address would have one school associated with it, there's now five elementary schools, three middle schools, etc for each address!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:59 AM

460 posts, read 1,015,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
I've always found it remarkable that NC allegedly has weak public schools, but then UNC is alwasy ranked alongside Michigan, UVA and Cal as the top public universities in the country. 80%+ of Carolina students come from NC. and frankly the kids that go to State have to be just as smart or smarter to get through engineering.

must go through some magic transformation between HS and college

and there are no public universities in the Northeast regarded anywhere close to UNC or UVA, and there are millions more people in the big metro areas, obviously all of which can't be sending their kids to the Ivy League

It all depends on where you are coming from. My husband and I are also planning to move to Wake County FOR the school systems compared to what we have right outside of DC! Of course other things apply.... but for what we hear about the school systems, and the other factors we have to apply to our situation.. wake county area seems to be the perfect fit! We can't wait! I suppose there are always better and always worse schools and systems.. everyone has different aspects about the system that are important to them, and that they see as good or bad.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:04 AM

460 posts, read 1,015,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
evaofnc - sorry have to disagree with you. I've driven the I-40 route and just about any you think of in the yrs I've lived here. i now take 540 every single day from Knightdale to Durham and it's a good route. And, we are talking of North Raleigh rather than Wakefield which, while technically is in Raleigh, is across the street from Wake Forest. The North Raleigh that I was thinking of for the OP was anything between the beltline and 540 as well as immediately north of 540 rather than as far as Wakefield. They could be home within 5-10 minutes of 540. Although, there are so many back roads routes around these areas, too numerous to mention, one wouldn't have to go on 540 or even 40 if they didn't want to. you can take Alexander to 70, to Brier Creek or North and NW Raleigh and be there in 20 minutes.

My thoughts on suggesting N Raleigh are that ppl looking to move here often seem to think Cary is the only place that has everything and is the perfect place for everyone. While Cary is very nice, (my daughter loves living there) they often overlook many other areas that would work just as well and perhaps wouldn't be as expensive or, for the same price, would be closer to or in Raleigh which would give them a different flavor of the area - older established mom and pop stores, more malls, more recreation opportunities, etc. Cary as it is now, is a relatively new place - lots of new build. Raleigh feels very different.

I think it's important to share with folks outside this area that there are many options and not just Cary and Clayton which seems to be all folks in other states hear about.
I look FORWARD to sitting in Raleigh or Cary traffic one day over DC traffic!!! One more year (or so).. and I will be heading south!!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:34 PM

554 posts, read 1,152,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Unfortunately nobody can really give you a list of which schools correspond with those apartments because of the new "choice plan" the school district implemented this year. I suggest reading the various Wake County School threads on this board to better understand the situation. Where is used to be that one address would have one school associated with it, there's now five elementary schools, three middle schools, etc for each address!

Yes, this. There will be multiple options with each potential address. If you go to the wake county schools website and look at the student assigment, you will have the option to search by address. That will bring up a list of your choices for the upcoming school year. Depending on your location, some of those "choices" will be actually unavailable because the school is already full (from grandfathering, or the first round of selections being done, etc).

I can only comment that Cornerstone is quite close to where we are currently and my son attends Salem Elementary. We have been very happy there. I have no idea if this school is at capacity or not . . . ?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM

226 posts, read 609,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlepieceofheaven View Post
we are from Westborough,which is a western suburb.
I do agree that it depends on what list one looks at because for example Boston mag's best of everything rarely covers anything outside of route 495 while other lists cover the west suburbs and westborough schools make it to the list year after year as one of the best. Living here, I also agree the education is excellent but that said it would be unfair to severely judge other states sitting here.

Since we will be moving for sure, and our jobs will be in RTP, we were trying to figure out the general consensus as to what school district or which school in cary-morrisville area stands out based on everyone's opinion so we can shortlist the rental apts around it.

Here is the list we made solely from reviews on the net and possibly the corresponding schools that fall under the area. any tips, advise, reviews and info on schools that correspond to these apts will be very helpful.

Morrisville: Bexley park, oaks at weston,madison at treybrook, crosstimbers.
Cary:Marquis at preston, waterford, Cornerstone,bexley at carpenter village,the lodge at crossroads.
There really aren't any "bad" schools in Cary or Morrisville. They all rank fairly high (8-9-10) on greatschools.org so you will probably be happy no matter where you wind up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary