Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 AM

53 posts, read 122,454 times

Advertisements

We are about to move to Durgham and is looking for an apartment. I know nothing about the area only heard the downtown is not safe. I have a 3 year old son and need to find a safe place for him. My company is on Martin Luther King Jr. Is the area around that road safe? I actually found a townhouse called south square which is very close to my company. Is it a good apartment? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 AM

need suggestions, thanks!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiazxm View Post
We are about to move to Durgham and is looking for an apartment. I know nothing about the area only heard the downtown is not safe. I have a 3 year old son and need to find a safe place for him. My company is on Martin Luther King Jr. Is the area around that road safe? I actually found a townhouse called south square which is very close to my company. Is it a good apartment? Thanks in advance
You've heard incorrect information about downtown, but that probably doesn't matter if you prefer to live close to your workplace. There are some areas near downtown that are less safe than the rest of the city, but they can be easily avoided.

The South Square townhouses would be very convenient to a work location on MLK, and they are close to a lot of big-box shopping and grocery stores (Super Target, Harris Teeter, Sam's Club, etc.) As far as I know, that area of town is pretty safe, but I'll let others with more personal knowledge comment on that. I usually only go out that way for the occasional trip to Target and the restaurants at the corner of Shannon Rd. and Old Chapel Hill Rd.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
You have definitely been misinformed about downtown. It's totally safe. On a given night I might grab a bite to eat somewhere, then walk to one of the many venues with live music, or walk somewhere else to grab a drink. There are always lots of people walking around, going to the shops and restaurants, and none of them look like they feel unsafe to me.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I'm going to move back to Durham to buy a house. If only I could afford downtown! I can't, unless I want a real fixer upper. Totally safe.

Much of Durham is very safe.

Soooo, having said that...South Square townhomes; not good. IMO, allegedly, all disclaimers needed. This is the one on Shannon Road, right? I lived in a nearby apartment complex for three years and know there was a LOT of crime there, including one incident in which a police officer was shot by someone inside an apartment who fired through a closed front door. On the plus side the police station is just up the street...

Now having said THAT - I'd certainly live in the south square neighborhood and did. But that particular complex...you couldn't pay me. And I lived within walking distance of it before, and felt safe.

The complex I lived in was fine, just boring for kids...no playground...I always felt bad for the kids who lived there! Someone else can probably chime in about something better. I just wanted to tell you to bypass that particular one...

Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
You've heard incorrect information about downtown, but that probably doesn't matter if you prefer to live close to your workplace. There are some areas near downtown that are less safe than the rest of the city, but they can be easily avoided.

The South Square townhouses would be very convenient to a work location on MLK, and they are close to a lot of big-box shopping and grocery stores (Super Target, Harris Teeter, Sam's Club, etc.) As far as I know, that area of town is pretty safe, but I'll let others with more personal knowledge comment on that. I usually only go out that way for the occasional trip to Target and the restaurants at the corner of Shannon Rd. and Old Chapel Hill Rd.
Thank you very much!

Old 02-27-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I'm going to move back to Durham to buy a house. If only I could afford downtown! I can't, unless I want a real fixer upper. Totally safe.

Soooo, having said that...South Square townhomes; not good. IMO, allegedly, all disclaimers needed. This is the one on Shannon Road, right? I lived in a nearby apartment complex for three years and know there was a LOT of crime there, including one incident in which a police officer was shot by someone inside an apartment who fired through a closed front door. On the plus side the police station is just up the street...

Now having said THAT - I'd certainly live in the south square neighborhood and did. But that particular complex...you couldn't pay me. And I lived within walking distance of it before, and felt safe.

The complex I lived in was fine, just boring for kids...no playground...I always felt bad for the kids who lived there! Someone else can probably chime in about something better. I just wanted to tell you to bypass that particular one...
Thank you for your information. Do you have any nice apartment to recommend? Which area then is safest?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
Can you say what your price range is?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

I have to agree about the townhomes. I used to live there and yes, there was some crime going on in there even though it didn't seem crimey while I lived there. It's more like I heard about things after they happened, however, I never once felt unsafe. However, there is a playground, soccer field, pool, and lots of green space to play. My kids weren't bored.

The rent is on the lower side and that is why you have problems like this. Look for a higher rent complex, and it is less likely you'll have those problems.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,339 times
Default apt

WE lived in that area for 2 years, until last october when we moved out of state. We lived in Alexan Place at South Square and we liked it. It's pricey ($800 for 1 bdrm?) but It's quiet and a lot of families. There's a school bus that comes right inthe complex and 2 pools and a little playground. THe only crimes are common for any city: break ins to cars, and I think 2 times we heard of someone breaking in because the people didn't lock the door to the apartment.

That being said, The neighbooring complex, Mission University Pines, seemed louder, not as tidy, apartments in not as good shape.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary