Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 PM

14 posts, read 17,714 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am hoping someone might be able to provide some suggestions of locations that my mother can look at moving to, based on her criteria. She recently sold her house in The Villages, Florida and wants to move further north, between Florida and Michigan, where she is originally from. She is currently living with me in Richmond, VA, but does not want to stay in VA.

Here is her wish list:

- A location that is relatively mild in winter and doesn’t get snow (or much snow, anyway)
- She doesn’t want to live near the ocean, nor in a location where it is mountainous – rolling hills are fine (she’s a flatlander)
- A small town – preferably 20,000 or less – with a large senior population (a lot of transplants would be nice). Maybe a small town outside of a larger city
- A YMCA where she can take pool exercise classes with other seniors
- A Catholic church, a movie theatre, and a nice library nearby
- She wants to rent and would prefer a cottage-style apartment, or a building with a maximum of two stories. Maybe even a townhouse. She wants it to be an active adult complex (no families) and not assisted living at all (she’s very independent and is not ready yet for one of those facilities where they provide dining and other such amenities).

Now, here’s the rub: she has a limited budget and can probably only afford $700 in rent (for a 2 BR), at the very maximum. She does not want to live in an income-restricted complex, but she may have to.

Any insight that can be provided would be very much appreciated. What she's looking for really is a place like The Villages, but further north!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times
Maybe something in the Sandhills about an hour south of Raleigh??? I don't know about the price though....that's a pretty low price for 2 bedrooms.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 AM

569 posts, read 1,975,517 times
Doubt you are going to find anything like that for that price near Raleigh. When I was looking for someplace for my mother, saw a lot of places in and around Burlington that were less expensive. We were looking for the 3 meal a day places with the possibility of even more assistance, but there were the independant senior places like you describe. Here is one that says only $560 for a two bedroom, but I don't know anything about it. Auburn Spring - Triad - Burlington, NC - RETIREMENT, ACTIVE ADULT,

You can go to Find Senior Housing, Assisted Living, Nursing Home, Home Health Care and Senior Housing Related Services and search for places in most cities. This is online version of the free magazines they have in racks at grocery stores and such. They have listings for the active senior communities as well as the assisted living places.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 AM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
Her requirements are so specific, she is making it difficult. Could someone in the family purchase a condo for her and rent it back (even subsidize her)? There are a few age-restricted communities in Cary and Morrisville, but they are for sale.

Would she consider a mobile home? There is a nice age-restricted community in Hendersonville called The Half-Way Tree http://thehalfwaytree.com/ . Units for sale were about $30,000, and there would be lot rental. Otherwise, there are not as many age-restrict communities in North Carolina as there are in Florida, Delaware or Virginia.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-28-2012 at 07:12 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
Here is one that says only $560 for a two bedroom, but I don't know anything about it. Auburn Spring - Triad - Burlington, NC - RETIREMENT, ACTIVE ADULT,
At those prices, one suspects there is also a large up-front fee. But it looks good.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Maybe something in the Sandhills about an hour south of Raleigh??? I don't know about the price though....that's a pretty low price for 2 bedrooms.
One real estate site in Southern Pines quotes $600-700 for a rental apartment. Towns like Aberdeen and Whispering Pines have plenty of seniors, but I don't think the places are explicitly age-restricted. There might also be mobile home rentals.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:11 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,232,191 times
What about New Bern? It is closer to the coast, but not at the coast. It's a small town with a VERY LARGE senior population.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 AM

804 posts, read 2,000,910 times
all of the smaller towns around here that i am thinking would probably still start at the top of her $700/mo budget (if you could get a 2-bedroom for that & still have the requirements that she's looking for).

my recommendation may be to post this in the general NC forum for more feedback. best of luck to you & your mom in your search.

PS - fellow richmonder here!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times
Yes, the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area has tons of seniors and Senior Living places. My own father lives at Belle Meade there, howver that is very expensive. However, you've posted in the Triangle area forum--are you limited to this area or is that a mistake? Are you even limited to NC? You don't mention a specific area/state you're looking for; perhaps you should post in a broader forum for more responses. South Carolina would be warmer and probably cheaper than NC.

NC does get snow in the winters (not so much this one).

Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 PM

14 posts, read 17,714 times
All,

Thank you very much for your responses. VERY helpful.

Mom and I are open to various regions. Being new to this, I posted on forums for four different regions - I guess I should have posted on a broader forum, as suggested.

We will be taking weekend road trips to scout out places. First road trip is this weekend - to SC and the western part of NC. Then to TN and KY the weekend of March 16-18. Central and Eastern Carolina another weekend, including Pinehurst.

Great suggestions - I will definitely check out some of these places mentioned.

Again, many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary