Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

I now have four eggs in a front yard box. I've had a lot of success with this particular box which usually does two or three clutches of eggs per season and fledge rate is very good.I believe it does so well because my front yard is very open...no trees anywhere around. There are overhead power lines and Blue Birds love perching on these over their box. I wish my backyard box did so well, but I believe the wood lot behind is too close. Tips: I never allow other birds to nest in my Bluebird boxes. I place other boxes around with smaller entrance holes for the wrens, chickadees, finches and such. Bluebirds are territorial. They won't nest close to another nesting pair...at least 200 ft. apart. I never hang my boxes on trees. I like metal poles with predator guards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 06:26 AM

677 posts, read 1,902,760 times
Congratulations, Poggly! Bluebird families are so much fun to watch!! I have only one box and I, too, protect it from predators...one bad experience with a black snake taught me a valuable and sad lesson. Bluebirds were regular visitors in our yard until it was time for nesting, then they seem to have disappeared. I am afraid it's because a pair of hawks is nesting for the 2nd year close-by. A chickadee has built in the box. I'm wishing I'd had another box with a smaller entrance hole, but I will not run the chickadees out.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
Congratulations, Poggly! Bluebird families are so much fun to watch!! I have only one box and I, too, protect it from predators...one bad experience with a black snake taught me a valuable and sad lesson. Bluebirds were regular visitors in our yard until it was time for nesting, then they seem to have disappeared. I am afraid it's because a pair of hawks is nesting for the 2nd year close-by. A chickadee has built in the box. I'm wishing I'd had another box with a smaller entrance hole, but I will not run the chickadees out.
Yep...I too learned the hard way about black snakes years ago...and hawks, they increasingly becoming a problem with backyard birding. They were snatching my birds at my feeders so bad I took the feeders down. I do only hummingbirds now.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,142,535 times
here in GA I have my bluebird in their claimed boxes..last year I had to relocate my nesting boxes because we have too many stray cats about. So I recreated favorable nesting and feeding zones for them to return. I planted elderberry and hawthorns near by, I put up predator guards, I put up winter roosting boxes as well as a trail box . now I have 4 pairs with babies this spring. looks like it worked =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary