Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:04 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
LOVE!
Those 95 people being board members and those who bribed them.

I would LOVE to see the numbers on how many people in the past 2 years and the next 2 years bail from the system all together for charter, private, home schools, or out-of-system schools.
well, over the last 2 years, the system has continued to grow.

and while it's a funny crack, the truth is way over 95 people are happy.

At least 95% of the parents whose children go to the school they're going to now, and whose feeder pattern hasn't changed or the change doesn't make them mad, those folks are satisfied.

But the complainers are always the loudest. My feeder pattern got changed from one middle school to, by all measures, a better one. Still, some folks complain about that change (and it's just as close geographically).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 AM

182 posts, read 386,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCfolks View Post
Is this what's affecting our sales? We have surged over the last several months. We were always doing well, but now we are selling so fast we are preselling the lots because the houses can't be built fast enough. $250k - $375k range. We were listed as certain Cary schools and now we are listed as Wake County Schools.
without knowing any specifics and therefore guessing to some extent, I'd say buyers probably have little choice. I'm guessing you're talking abut a neighborhood built bty a national builder.

when the crash hit the big builders contracted their emphasis to areas closest to RTP; + development all but stopped; + most local builders went out of business. so any new demand is taken 95% by nationals, and concentrated in Cary

used to be easy for local builders to compete with nationals in that price range and now it's virtually impossible

Old 03-03-2012, 07:09 AM

43 posts, read 112,414 times
Every family that is looking to move to wake county looks at the school info first and it is so screwed up looking that families are very confused. Imagine when they look at the wcpss website on where their kids might possibly go...its 3 pages of possibilities and the families are generally unfamiliar with any of the schools, and now they don't know if any of their neighbors will be attending the same schools, and they have to research 5 elementary schools, 5 middle schools, 5 high schools, and of course they know that at this point they will only be getting the leftover choice, etc...thanks tedesco...

I moved my family to 6 different states and had school age children in everyone, and the number one requirement was which schools did we want our kids to attend...if there were a couple of choices that was fine, but wake is just messed up!

Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, over the last 2 years, the system has continued to grow.

and while it's a funny crack, the truth is way over 95 people are happy.

At least 95% of the parents whose children go to the school they're going to now, and whose feeder pattern hasn't changed or the change doesn't make them mad, those folks are satisfied.

But the complainers are always the loudest. My feeder pattern got changed from one middle school to, by all measures, a better one. Still, some folks complain about that change (and it's just as close geographically).
Just because the system has grown does not prove that the uncertainties surrounding the Wake County school system hasn't stopped people from moving there. We have no way of knowing if the system would have grown more over the last two years if the school system were more stable.

I am the one who quipped about 95 people being happy. I'm certainly not a complainer (about Wake County School District anyway), as I don't even live in Wake County. It was just a joke, but I can tell you that I would not move into a school system that could not at least tell me which school my kid is attending. And that is what will drive people away from Wake County - not that a certain address is assigned to a less desireable school - but that a perspective buyer DOES NOT KNOW what school a certain address is assigned to. You know the old saying, the devil that you know is better than the devil that you don't.

People evaluate whether a house is worth the price primarily based on size, location, and school district. If the school assignment is unknown, how do they know if they are paying a fair price?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:19 AM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
People ask for advice and information on which schools the kids will attend, and I have had to take the position of referring them to WCPSS.net
Which is how it has been for years, but now it is difficult to give any guidance at all to relocatees.

I think Chapel Hill is an interesting alternative, but also quite costly for the average family. Increased interest in a limited real estate market there will only increase those costs.
And commuting from Chapel Hill to Raleigh or Cary can be daunting.

Quality of schools in Wake has been good enough that involved parents have generally been able to ensure a decent education for their kids, but who likes the wide-open uncertainty when they are looking at popping a few hundred thousand on a home?

For people who are planning a move to Wake County, what is the best strategy one might pass on at this time to assure an agreeable school assignment?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:23 AM

107 posts, read 143,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
without knowing any specifics and therefore guessing to some extent, I'd say buyers probably have little choice. I'm guessing you're talking abut a neighborhood built bty a national builder.

when the crash hit the big builders contracted their emphasis to areas closest to RTP; + development all but stopped; + most local builders went out of business. so any new demand is taken 95% by nationals, and concentrated in Cary

used to be easy for local builders to compete with nationals in that price range and now it's virtually impossible
Semi-rural Apex. No national builder. A team of custom builders only.

Buyers do have a choice. They could choose to buy a house elsewhere, but more and more of them seem like they prefer it here.

You mentioned difficulty in the $250k-$375k price range for local builders. Are you saying that range is too high or too low for local builders?

Last edited by NCfolks; 03-03-2012 at 07:31 AM..

Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Just because the system has grown does not prove that the uncertainties surrounding the Wake County school system hasn't stopped people from moving there. We have no way of knowing if the system would have grown more over the last two years if the school system were more stable.

I am the one who quipped about 95 people being happy. I'm certainly not a complainer (about Wake County School District anyway), as I don't even live in Wake County. It was just a joke, but I can tell you that I would not move into a school system that could not at least tell me which school my kid is attending. And that is what will drive people away from Wake County - not that a certain address is assigned to a less desireable school - but that a perspective buyer DOES NOT KNOW what school a certain address is assigned to. You know the old saying, the devil that you know is better than the devil that you don't.

People evaluate whether a house is worth the price primarily based on size, location, and school district. If the school assignment is unknown, how do they know if they are paying a fair price?
I know that continued growth isn't by itself a bellweather of continued good times - I'm merely saying what we hear is the folks who are upset. And those who are upset and leave the system are fewer than those who continue to move and or have children come of age.

You're absolutely correct that uncertainty is a bad thing, relatively. As I've said here and elsewhere, that's the problem I have is the lack of information/transparency. It would be "nice" for folks looking to know "yeah, Davis Dr Elementary may be listed as Choice 1, but you can just start looking at choices 3-5". We don't even have that.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 AM

now, I am off to meet 3 different sets of fine folks, 2 of the 3 with kids, to discuss where and how to move in Wake County.

I feel for those who ARE facing this task right now, I really do.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 AM

351 posts, read 770,201 times
LOL (consider the source of the article)

Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
LOL (consider the source of the article)
Good point!

Anyone moving to any area will ask about schools as that does impact desirability. however, someone that is relocating here due to jobs, will most likely do as much research as possible and still move here!

Chapel hill is small with less housing options than wake county so most of my clients wont even consider it.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary