U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-04-2012, 06:08 AM

47 posts, read 34,752 times
Default The Triangle Sesame Street?

Okay, no jokes about the show or the lovable muppet characters. I'm referring to the friendly variety of people who are featured, friendly people of different social and hereditary backgrounds that live and interact in the same neighborhood.

Before you sniff at this idealized setting... I've lived in three neighborhoods just like this, albeit in a neighboring state. It was mainly the kids. There were kids playing of all ages, and each group was a rainbow of diversity. There was an actual play area, in addition to large front and back yards, so play noise was rarely an annoyance. Their parents were vigilant, down to earth, and generally kind people. I would say the area was the upper part of middle class, but not affluent, and very suburban with sidewalks, wide streets, and good space between homes. Basic to upscale amenities were within 5 minutes, like shopping, entertainment, and recreation.

I'm wanting firsthand experience and input on areas like this in The Triangle. It seems possible, given the statistics for the some areas. But, I'm hoping I'm not asking too much! By the way, I work from home, and am flexible to move anywhere in The Triangle. I'm currently renting in the Southpoint area of Durham for around $1000, and I'd like to continue renting around this rate, give or take a couple hundred, so I need some neighborhoods to scout. Any references?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-04-2012, 08:06 AM

4,505 posts, read 3,859,113 times
I would think any middle class neighborhood in Durham would meet this criteria considering the demographic makeup of the neighborhood.

In my neighborhood my next door neighbors are from Guatemala, the people across from us are from Colombia, and next to them are some folks from Korea. I know down the street from us are a couple of Indian families. This is in Cary but I feel like that's pretty normal for middle class neighborhoods in Cary as well. Neighborhood we were living in before this one I swear we were the only white people in the neighborhood lol.

Unread 03-04-2012, 10:32 AM

47 posts, read 34,752 times
That's great to hear. I really enjoy the diversity of different cultures. I have thought seriously about moving to Cary. I'll have to up my rental limit for that, I think. (Hmm, maybe I will.) I've got a good deal here in a great neighborhood, but a lousy landlord, so that makes me want to move. I want to rent safely and cheaply (we're on the Grannie Plan, aka Dave Ramsey 7 Baby Step Plan to become debt freeeeee!), so I thought I'd write the Sesame scenario to give folks an idea of what I like.

Unread 03-04-2012, 11:07 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,760,354 times
Parkwood in Durham, Old West Durham, Watts Hillandale, Duke Park, Burch Ave area.

good luck.

Unread 03-11-2012, 11:16 PM

10 posts, read 5,509 times
As someone who is contemplating a move to Durham myself, I just have to say that I loved your question about Sesame Street-like neighborhoods in Durham. I've been searching these boards for information about neighborhoods in Durham and am also liking what I'm reading about Old West Durham and Watts Hospital-Hillandale. Thanks to all, and especially thanks to OmniSchoolMom for this question. We all need a little more Sesame Street!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary