Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:37 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,069 times

Advertisements

What do the good folks of the board pay for irrigation start-up and winter shut down? I am being quoted $225 (for both). Seems a lot. I know we are not quite there but won't be long before we need to have it started up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Been here 14 years and I never pay for irrigation shutdown. Prior to any freezing weather I cut the water off at the meter. Cut off water going into and out of backflow. Take out backflow valve. Reopen the cut offs at the backflow to drain water under pressure. Then close the cutoffs again. I wrap the open pipes at the backflow for the winter. Store the backflow in garage in a cabinet. Never had a problem.
I pay my irrigation installer $75 to reinstall backflow plus any costs to repair damaged heads, etc. to set back up in the spring.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Why pay someone for something that takes 5-10 minutes each winter and spring? It's extremely simple.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:03 PM

Something is only simple if you know how

Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
True. But.

We are leasing and our landlord explained how to turn the system on in th spring and winterize in the fall... Over the phone. It really is pretty simple. If you pay someone, watch what they are doing, take notes, and save yourself the bill next time.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
In most cases, winterization in this part of the country is not required, as the freeze line is high enough that the irrigation pipes don't freeze. Even so, not everyone is comfortable removing and re-installing their backflow.

If you have extra equipment (pumps, for instance), then it may make sense to have someone blow out the pipes to avoid any freezing. In these cases, having the pipes blow out under pressure may keep expensive equipment that cannot be removed from freezing in the winter.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,336 times
Zero, I do it myself and keep extra heads around just in case the mower gets hungry.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
1. Buy a 12" or larger pair of channel lock pliers.
2. Get a couple of baggies and some length of string, twist-tie, or zip-ties.
2. Find the water shut-off for your sprinkler system. It will be accessible under a cover somewhere in your yard between the meter and your blackflow prevention device - usually just after the meter or just before the backflow device.
3. Turn off the water to your system at the shut-off. Also set your system controller to off.
4. Remove the backflow prevention device using the pliers you bought to losen the two large rings at the bottom. Once loosened you can usually turn them by hand the rest of the way.
5. Store the backflow device in your garage for the winter. There is an O ring on the bottom of each end - be sure they stay in place.
6. Place the baggies over the exposed pipe ends where you removed the backflow device and secure with string or zip ties to keep dirt out.

In the spring, reverse the process to turn your system back on.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
My backflow is under the house (crawlspace) and I have never winterized it. I have had the system over 15 years and never had a problem (well not from that; I have had a couple of heads get dirt on the columns and get stuck and then my kid hits them with the lawnmower, but that is a summer/attention issue ).

Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Thanks CHT

Think I will give it a shot this year

One of our neighbors did not winterize a couple of years back, and his back flow burst.

Would be a smart idea if the builder had put it in the crawl space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary