Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Itallian / Pizza
Bella Monica - North Raleigh
I know this is a little off topic, and I love Bella Monica, but is the Edwards Mill & Duraleigh/Blue Ridge Rd intersection really considered to be North Raleigh by most people? Yes, it's OTB, but more western-ly if anything besides just "Raleigh" in my opinion. I know classification of North Raleigh can be very loose and subjective, (being a Raleighite of the WAY North variety myself) but I'm not sure about this one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,420 times
Mexican - I'll second Dos Perros
BBQ - The Q Shack
Burgers -- Second for Bull City Burger & Brew. Also Only Burger
Salads -- can't help there.
Southern - I've heard good things about Mama Dips but it is still on our have to visit list.

Other great places to try Parker & Otis, Sparticus, Bavarian Brathaus, Toast, Daisy Cake and Alvia's.

You didn't say when you were visiting but if you are here on March 11th there is a food truck rodeo in Durham @ Central Park. A must-do if you are interested in the food scene. Even if you aren't here then, you should try a food truck while here too.

And check out the local paper (Herald Sun) last weekend they had an insert "We Are Durham" that was all about food & the foodie scene in Durham. I would think you could see it on line. That might also give you some ideas on places to try.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,153,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I know this is a little off topic, and I love Bella Monica, but is the Edwards Mill & Duraleigh/Blue Ridge Rd intersection really considered to be North Raleigh by most people? Yes, it's OTB, but more western-ly if anything besides just "Raleigh" in my opinion. I know classification of North Raleigh can be very loose and subjective, (being a Raleighite of the WAY North variety myself) but I'm not sure about this one...
Yes, technically it's considered North Raleigh, but as someone that lived down the street from that shopping center for almost 15 years I agree with you that it's not *really* North Raleigh. When I think of North Raleigh I think of Falls of Neuse, Capital, etc. Honestly I don't know what I would really consider that part of town, which I guess is why it just gets lumped in as North Raleigh.

A voice of dissent for Jibarra. While I like their cocktails (especially the margaritas) and they have some good appetizers, I've had a couple of meals there that were just downright gross. Their paella is gummy and the other entree I tried was bland. I have heard from many people that Jibarra has gone downhill in the food department since the original chef left. We only go there now to start out the night with a drink and appetizer then usually hop on the R-Line to eat dinner somewhere else.

Anyway, Dos Perros is a MUCH better option for that sort of Mexican imo. If you're really keen for Mexican in downtown Raleigh, I would go to Dos Taquitos Centro first, or Calavera for some yummy empanadas.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,111 times
Mexican (none of these are authentic, but who cares if it tastes good):

Chubby's Tacos | Durham NC | Raleigh NC
Home Monterrey Chapel Hill
NANATACO -- the Durham Taco Spot

Burger:
BUNS of Chapel Hill | Good food delivered fast.

Salad:
IMHO, I like the salad bar at Jason's Deli. That's right, I said it.

Also, I'm not sure where you are visiting from but don't miss out on all of our awesome Indian restaurants in the area!

Tower Indian Restaurant - South Indian Restaurant
Home - Saffron of Chapel Hill

Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
if you don't mind driving, and the finding is part of the adventure, then for 'cue (BBQ) you need to go to Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill/Orange County. I can't remember which one ... I think the one towards Hillsborough is the original and thus deemed "better" by the regulars.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you don't mind driving, and the finding is part of the adventure, then for 'cue (BBQ) you need to go to Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill/Orange County. I can't remember which one ... I think the one towards Hillsborough is the original and thus deemed "better" by the regulars.

Yep, off of NC-86 between I40 and I85. It's a great little bike ride down Erwin Rd and Mt Sinai from Downtown Durham.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
Saffron is great!
And they are on restaurant.com so you can get discount vouchers for eating there.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 AM

8 posts, read 12,802 times
Thanks again for all the suggestions. We had a great trip, especially food wise! :-)

We tried Bull City Burger & Brewery, Mama Dips, The Pit and The Q Shack (the one in Crabtree Valley Mall - the guy running it was really friendly) and they were all wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary