Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:06 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times

Advertisements

We would like to put crown molding in our big "great room".... kitchen, breakfast room, family room. The room is about 40 ft x 14 ft. We are trying to decide if we should take on a do it yourself (which would require us purchasing some tools to complete this job) or if we should hire someone. I'm trying to find out what it cost per linear foot for installation of standard (not super fancy) crown molding. On line I've seen national numbers from $3 to $12 per linear foot.

Has anyone hired someone locally? And can you share how much you paid and if you were happy with the work.

I'm hesitate to tackle this as a DYI since when we were looking for homes I saw some pretty bad DYI crown molding jobs and immediately walked out. But at the same time I have neighbors who did this and it looks profession.

Any tips on deciding would be great.

Also, realtors can you comment on if crown molding (done well) helps to sell a home and or generates a higher asking price. I know it's a small thing... not granite counter tops. But I'm just wondering.

Thanks!!

MOD please keep this local as I want local prices for install.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Do it for yourselves, for your enjoyment.
You will not see a return on it, IMO.

DIY can be tricky, because a good finish/trim carpenter can work with out of square corners and wall/ceiling areas and make it look better than someone without experience.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Do it for yourselves, for your enjoyment.
You will not see a return on it, IMO.

DIY can be tricky, because a good finish/trim carpenter can work with out of square corners and wall/ceiling areas and make it look better than someone without experience.
Yeah, I was thinking that about the finished carpenter. But I'm a little surprised about enjoyment answer. This isn't a high cost project but I was hoping to get at least a "you won't see a return, but it might sell your home quicker" answer.

But I'd rather have the honest answer now than be delusional. So thanks.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that about the finished carpenter. But I'm a little surprised about enjoyment answer. This isn't a high cost project but I was hoping to get at least a "you won't see a return, but it might sell your home quicker" answer.

But I'd rather have the honest answer now than be delusional. So thanks.

Oh, heck, yeah. 30 minutes quicker to Sale!

Seriously, done right, it cannot hurt resale, but you surely wouldn't do it for a return on the cost.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Also, depending on the height of your ceilings, look at building a multi piece moulding to increase the shadow lines on the moulding (by laying some sort of trim flat on the wall near the ceiling - with the decorative side facing down). This makes the moulding look real impressive and makes it easier to attach the moulding tightly to the wall everywhere because you are guaranteed to find wood when you nail in the bottom side of the crown moulding.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Do you have anything besides 90 degree corners? Crown molding isn't that hard. You will need a miter saw with a finish blade, compressor, brad nailer, caulk, and the molding. If you only plan on doing one room I would just pay someone, because the cost of the tools are going to add up. Crown molding is easy, and the pre made corners make it even easier. I personally like most of the pre made corners i've seen. It helps to draw the eye and adds a little pop.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 AM

399 posts, read 700,777 times
I would not pay for a miter saw but rather a miter box.
Amazon.com: Stanley 20-600 Clamping Mitre Box with Saw: Home Improvement

Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 AM

hubby has a table saw and compound miter saw. Now just because we own these tools do not mean they get used enough for either of us to be considered anything but a novice. He wants to get a mini compressor & nail gun for this job if we do it ourselves. He thinks we can get a cheap one for about $200.

I did see the corner pieces and thought those looked really cool and might help the ease of install????

This room is 40 feet by 14 feet (approx) and the ceilings are 9 foot ceilings I think. Given the size of the room we thought it might be worth it for us to do it ourselves. And eventually I want to do our master bedroom and maybe the kids rooms. I want to see how this goes first.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
hubby has a table saw and compound miter saw. Now just because we own these tools do not mean they get used enough for either of us to be considered anything but a novice. He wants to get a mini compressor & nail gun for this job if we do it ourselves. He thinks we can get a cheap one for about $200.

I did see the corner pieces and thought those looked really cool and might help the ease of install????

This room is 40 feet by 14 feet (approx) and the ceilings are 9 foot ceilings I think. Given the size of the room we thought it might be worth it for us to do it ourselves. And eventually I want to do our master bedroom and maybe the kids rooms. I want to see how this goes first.
Corners get very easy with an inexpensive coping saw. Pre-cut corners are not required to get a great job.

You run one end of the trim into the corner, full square end butted to the wall. You 45 the other piece and back cut the sawed face and it can fit so tight to the first piece that caulk is nearly not needed.

Your only full miter joints can be the ones where two pieces of trim meet on a long straight wall.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Corners get very easy with an inexpensive coping saw. Pre-cut corners are not required to get a great job.

You run one end of the trim into the corner, full square end butted to the wall. You 45 the other piece and back cut the sawed face and it can fit so tight to the first piece that caulk is nearly not needed.

Your only full miter joints can be the ones where two pieces of trim meet on a long straight wall.
Hmmm, Mike you sound like you have experience with this sort of thing. Can I talk you into providing some help for some NC BBQ, beer, and a gallon of our families secret BBQ sauce recipe (Eastern NC BBQ style of course).

Last edited by PDXmom; 03-06-2012 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary