Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Be grateful - at least you got mentioned - knightdale didn't
Okay. I've come up with an option for you as a new name for the Triangle:

"KASA"

It stands for "Knightdale And Surrounding Area."

And the welcome sign at the airport could be:

"Mi KASA es su casa!"

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-10-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 01:33 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Or NoCu (short for No Culture).
We got the ACC Tournament going on right now man! How much culture do you want

Old 03-10-2012, 01:43 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Okay. I've come up with an option for you as a new name for the Triangle:

"KASA"

It stands for "Knightdale And Surrounding Area."

And the welcome sign at the airport could be:

"Mi KASA es su casa!"

LOL!!! pretty good! Although many locals and our local QDR dj refer to it as Ktown. Me, I am too lazy to type it and simply use KDale.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:53 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Or NoCu (short for No Culture).
Hey, watch it now We have the two "R's", rastling and rodeo! Seriously, we have a good measure of culture and we have what many places do not and that is rivers and lakes on our doorstep, as well as plenty of open space. And the beach isn't too far a drive. I think we have a good balance of what makes life pleasurable.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
What do you think the region would be called had Wake Forest University actually stayed in Wake Forest instead of moving to Winston-Salem?!

Would it have been "the quadrangle".... "Research Quadrangle Park"?...."RQP".....Doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:00 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
What do you think the region would be called had Wake Forest University actually stayed in Wake Forest instead of moving to Winston-Salem?!

Would it have been "the quadrangle".... "Research Quadrangle Park"?...."RQP".....Doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well.
Interesting question that made me look something up... if you really look at the RESEARCH part of the three Research Triangle universities, WFU is in the ballpark but would trail the others. In 2008, total Federal research dollars and ranks for the 3 RTP area universities:

NC State - $366 million, #44 in US
UNC-CH - $525 million, #24 in US
Duke - $767 million, #7 in US

WFU is at just under $200 million, 86th place in the US.

These research dollars, FWIW, are very, very big deals. And most universities don't get them. UNC Asheville, Charlotte, G'boro, Pembroke and Wilmington? $54 million... combined. NCCU, $6 million. NC A&T, $29 million. Davidson gets a little over $1 million.

WFU gets more in the way of research dollars than I would have thought. So, yeah... Research Parallelogram Park!

Old 03-10-2012, 03:24 PM

645 posts, read 988,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Interesting question that made me look something up... if you really look at the RESEARCH part of the three Research Triangle universities, WFU is in the ballpark but would trail the others. In 2008, total Federal research dollars and ranks for the 3 RTP area universities:

NC State - $366 million, #44 in US
UNC-CH - $525 million, #24 in US
Duke - $767 million, #7 in US

WFU is at just under $200 million, 86th place in the US.

These research dollars, FWIW, are very, very big deals. And most universities don't get them. UNC Asheville, Charlotte, G'boro, Pembroke and Wilmington? $54 million... combined. NCCU, $6 million. NC A&T, $29 million. Davidson gets a little over $1 million.

WFU gets more in the way of research dollars than I would have thought. So, yeah... Research Parallelogram Park!

BCR: Informative post, as usual, however, WFU is much smaller (academic staff, student population, etc) than the other three. Taking this into consideration, my guess is that, per capita, WFU would rank higher than Carolina or State.

I'minformed2: How about the "Quad Squad?" That rolls off the tongue quite nicely.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
BCR: Informative post, as usual, however, WFU is much smaller (academic staff, student population, etc) than the other three. Taking this into consideration, my guess is that, per capita, WFU would rank higher than Carolina or State.

I'minformed2: How about the "Quad Squad?" That rolls off the tongue quite nicely.
You have to remember that Wake Forest has a medical center, while NC State does not. Total employment at Wake Forest including the medical center is around 15,000 (compared to NC States 9000), and the medical center pulls in the lions share of Wake Forest's research dollars. I actually find it surprising that NC State has as much funding as it does despite the lack of a medical center.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:40 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I actually find it surprising that NC State has as much funding as it does despite the lack of a medical center.
But then you're reminded about all the agricultural research at NCSU (which brings in the big bucks too) and your surprise fades away....

Old 03-11-2012, 11:44 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
But then you're reminded about all the agricultural research at NCSU (which brings in the big bucks too) and your surprise fades away....
Not so much. Agriculture research funding pales in comparison to that from the NIH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary