Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:06 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
Yep, just decided not to renew my membership to BJs- their gas (as I recall!) used to be much cheaper than the competition, but I think those days may be over...and there just wasn't enough else there that I felt that in the discounts I recouped the membership fee (but I'm just one person!). I may change my mind, but for now, I'm ok (Sam's and Costco are a bit far for me....). Neat to see the opinions of others!
I echo this. We did not renew this year. In years past when the kids were younger and we needed diapers, formula and/or clothes whose occupants didn't read the labels, any warehouse would have been worthwhile and BJ's was convenient. As far as the gas, it seems like they have price lag. When gas prices were rising, that was great - savings on top of savings. But when they fell you could often find gas cheaper until prices stabilized or started up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
In our current area, we only have Costco and Sam's - I am totally unfamiliar with BJ's. I know how the general public here in AZ would rate Costco against Sam's, but what about you guys? And where does BJ's fit?
BJ's is much more low end than Costco in many ways including clientel. I saw a study within the last year that the average family shopping at Costco had a family income of 70K and BJ's was a lot less. Until last month I had membership at both Costco and BJ's. I let the BJ's membership lapse. BJ's is 15 minutes away and Costco 30 so that says something. BJ's is under new ownership and their goal is to separate you from your money. In 2011 BJ's was bought out by two private equity firms and you can see the pricing differences. Smaller sizes, tricks with coupons (different expiration dates in same coupon booklet) etc. It is a private equity company run wholesale club!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 AM

BJ’s Wholesale Club To Be Sold For $2.8B | WBUR

Quote:
Private ownership makes it easier to invest in expansion than it would have been if BJ’s were to stay a publicly traded company.

Consumers at existing BJ’s stores probably won’t notice any difference.
I think we are! Especially folks who also shop Costco.

Costco's Artful Discounts - BusinessWeek

Quote:
The average store does $137 million in annual sales, a volume so high that Costco turns its inventory 11.9 times a year, meaning it often sells goods before it technically has to pay its suppliers. Combine that with high-income customers—the average Costco household makes upwards of $75,000—and "what they're doing is really high velocity retailing,"
That plays out well in the Triangle and Costco picks locations well.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 AM

76 posts, read 173,683 times
IMO, It's not really a comparison.

costco is hands down the best of breed. The breadth of their offerings from food, (alcoholic) beverages, house (Kirkland Signature) brand superiority, pharmacy, tire center, gas stations, secondary services (travel, cabinetry and other "home" services, small business center, insurance for home and auto...etc etc). Last but not least, their food court, which operates on smallest of margins, i think.

The reason they are "miserable" is because they are so good, so people swamp the stores . They are not to blame for the crowds. I go to costco weekday evenings, and rarely run in to mobs.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:51 PM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
(BJ's) staff seemed indifferent, like they were not so much working for a paycheck as fulfilling a requirement of their probation.
LOL. I totally agree with PatRoy. Dont like BJs or its staff (for same reasons). Costco is very efficiently run, clean, and with a staff that's really on the ball... such a refreshing change from most other stores. I love shopping Costco and look forward to the Cary one opening up one day soon.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 PM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
Btw, I don't get any checks mailed to me from Costco ($600???) and I've been a member for years. What am I missing? ... Because I want it!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
LOL. I totally agree with PatRoy. Dont like BJs or its staff (for same reasons). Costco is very efficiently run, clean, and with a staff that's really on the ball... such a refreshing change from most other stores. I love shopping Costco and look forward to the Cary one opening up one day soon.
I didn't want to say it but I don't like BJ's staff for the most part and will leave it at that. They suffer some of the same issues Walmart does.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Btw, I don't get any checks mailed to me from Costco ($600???) and I've been a member for years. What am I missing? ... Because I want it!
Which membership do you have? It comes with the now $110 dollar Executive membership.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Sign up for their rewards American Express and you'll get cash back based on how much you charge on the card (not just at Costco, everywhere). I got $85 this year which is more than usual - paid for my $55 annual Costco membership and had a bit left over (which I of course spent in the store).

Old 03-11-2012, 05:25 PM

Costco Membership
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary