U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2012, 01:06 PM
 
23,640 posts, read 19,144,478 times
Reputation: 5736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but it was an important factor with me and may be with you too. Costco's actually pays their people a living wage and provides decent benefits, unlike Sam's, being the warehouse version of Wal-Mart. I'm not sure about BJs.
Interesting article about how great Costco is to work for and how some stock analyst feel they are to generous to their employees.

Analysts to Costco: Stop treating your employees so well



http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/bu...6a6d68&ei=5088

Quote:
Costco's average pay, for example, is $17 an hour, 42 percent higher than its fiercest rival, Sam's Club. And Costco's health plan makes those at many other retailers look Scroogish. One analyst, Bill Dreher of Deutsche Bank, complained last year that at Costco "it's better to be an employee or a customer than a shareholder
."

Salary and benefits can play a part in matching employees with the community they serve. Could be a factor in the Triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2012, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
355 posts, read 585,114 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Interesting article about how great Costco is to work for and how some stock analyst feel they are to generous to their employees.

Analysts to Costco: Stop treating your employees so well

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/bu...6a6d68&ei=5088

Salary and benefits can play a part in matching employees with the community they serve. Could be a factor in the Triangle.
Thanks for another example of how Wall Street has all the wisdom of a pack of syphilis addled monkeys. I'm sure these same analysts will pull out all sorts of arguments for why there bonuses should be seen as investments in the company versus expenses.

Anyway...here's another on the topic: The High Cost of Low Wages - Harvard Business Review

Costco's higher pay and better treatment results in much higher revenues per employees than Sam's... which...um... is all relevant to the Triangle and our local decisions of which warehouse to join (for the mod's benefit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 PM
 
23,640 posts, read 19,144,478 times
Reputation: 5736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
Thanks for another example of how Wall Street has all the wisdom of a pack of syphilis addled monkeys. I'm sure these same analysts will pull out all sorts of arguments for why there bonuses should be seen as investments in the company versus expenses.

Anyway...here's another on the topic: The High Cost of Low Wages - Harvard Business Review

Costco's higher pay and better treatment results in much higher revenues per employees than Sam's... which...um... is all relevant to the Triangle and our local decisions of which warehouse to join (for the mod's benefit).
It really is relevant to the Triangle as the average family income for a Costco shopper is 75K and they are sensitive to the level of employee they are dealing with. Costco employees visibly work hard and our very courteous and helpful. Not that others aren't but Costco seems to have better quality control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM
 
703 posts, read 846,535 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
The High Cost of Low Wages - Harvard Business Review

Costco's higher pay and better treatment results in much higher revenues per employees than Sam's... which...um... is all relevant to the Triangle and our local decisions of which warehouse to join (for the mod's benefit).
Interesting reading that Costco makes more money with fewer stores and fewer employees and how even though they pay their employees quite a bit better and cover more benefits, their lower turnover means lower overall employee costs. Who knew that treating employees well would work out so well?

Judging from my two dismal experiences with BJ employees, I suspect they are on the Sams Club end of the pay scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
646 posts, read 773,451 times
Reputation: 209
In our area, we don't have BJ's. Closest is in Charlotte, but Costco is huge here (Charleston). We got ours in 2001 in West Ashley, and it is always packed on weekends since it is the only one around. I know people that drive 50 miles just to go there.

It is strong in food, electronics, and a few other departments. Books and video games are departments that are lacking in our Costco.

They keep books out for months and months. The book section has gotten smaller, as they have adjusted everything in store. In our Costco we have the same local Charleston books which have been on the rack for 3 or 4 years. They maybe have a dozen games out at a time between all consoles.

Sam's has been around much longer. They had an old location on the main shopping strip in North Charleston that was one of the first few to open when the chain began (1984-85), then they moved to a larger shopping center near the airport a few years ago.

They are basically a lower-priced Walmart, but they have a much more varied selection. They have more services than the others.

Both Costco and Sam's have great food courts. You can get a hot dog for $2, and at Costco it's a foot-long dog. The other prices are cheap too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,552 posts, read 4,277,356 times
Reputation: 1039
Costco - better quality, and I'm able to buy higher quality foods in bulk. They also have random items that may only be there for a week or two. Every time you go back, you search for that item to no avail only to find another awesome impulse buy to tide you over. I also enjoy their rewards card. Over $300 this year for me. Drawback...1 location in Wake County

Sam's - I'm spoiled by the cleanliness of the one in Morrisville, although I never enjoyed going to the one in Raleigh. The Morrisville location is close to work so I'm always getting gas there...plus the gas station will accept my visa credit card whereas the store will only accept debit. The selection for the Morrisville location is quite good as well, albeit not as good as Costco. 3 Locations in Wake County

BJ's - Never been a member, but co-workers at my old company could go in on a membership together which saved them money on buying individual memberships (not sure if they still do that). They take coupons. 4 Locations in Wake county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 PM
 
Location: NJ
2,073 posts, read 5,471,678 times
Reputation: 917
I was a member of Costco for years and last year a member of both Sam's and Costco. I canceled Sam's and this year canceled Costco. I liked Costco a lot, but found for the 2 of us, I was spending more on quantity I didn't really need, therefore, items were getting outdated before I used them. Not very economical. Now I shop at Shoprite Grocery and Walmart, with savings and control over quantities.

Edit: BTW, I like that you can use more methods of payment with Sam's as opposed to being stuck with Amex at Costco. I have rewards cards and still can get them from Sam's whereas Some retailers do not accept Amex. I don't like being locked into Amex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 08:26 AM
 
23,640 posts, read 19,144,478 times
Reputation: 5736
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Costco - better quality, and I'm able to buy higher quality foods in bulk. They also have random items that may only be there for a week or two. Every time you go back, you search for that item to no avail only to find another awesome impulse buy to tide you over. I also enjoy their rewards card. Over $300 this year for me. Drawback...1 location in Wake County

Sam's - I'm spoiled by the cleanliness of the one in Morrisville, although I never enjoyed going to the one in Raleigh. The Morrisville location is close to work so I'm always getting gas there...plus the gas station will accept my visa credit card whereas the store will only accept debit. The selection for the Morrisville location is quite good as well, albeit not as good as Costco. 3 Locations in Wake County

BJ's - Never been a member, but co-workers at my old company could go in on a membership together which saved them money on buying individual memberships (not sure if they still do that). They take coupons. 4 Locations in Wake county
Cardinal shopping rule at Costco. If you see something you really like buy it then because it may not be there the next time. I have learned that many a time over the years. Does encourage impulse buying but there is a cost savings tradeoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Two years in Raleigh, NC
5,805 posts, read 5,309,699 times
Reputation: 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Cardinal shopping rule at Costco. If you see something you really like buy it then because it may not be there the next time. I have learned that many a time over the years. Does encourage impulse buying but there is a cost savings tradeoff.
And the return policies are very generous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 12:41 PM
 
23,640 posts, read 19,144,478 times
Reputation: 5736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And the return policies are very generous.
Awesome return. Especially on electronics. Not as good as it use to be (abused by people) but still the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top