U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 AM

227 posts, read 459,720 times
I could not find the one in Cameron Village. I did find the one in Country Club Hills, though is was an older home. We are strictly looking for recent builds that are contemporary.

Thanks,

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
there's one neighborhood I know of in Orange County that was built as a commune-like existence that is all modern/contemporary architecture.

As noted, Triangle Modernist is the definitive site for this style of architecture.

There are two areas in Wake County/Raleigh with reasonable numbers of contemporaries: Cameron Village & Country Club Hills. One will run you 300-500K, and the other will be $500K+. There are homes available right now in each.

As noted, Chapel Hill has the same, a few areas where professors (typically) had architectural wonders constructed in the late 60's and 70's. They're generally south of campus.

In Durham, a few homes in Hope Valley are contemporaries. Then, in the Duke Forest area, and areas towards Chapel Hill from 15-501, you'll find some more in what was a very rural area when they were built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:48 AM

1,536 posts, read 1,166,138 times
every new-build is done for the Buyer client. I haven't seen a spec contemporary in probably 10 years, if then. I would say that your Realtor - whether you have one or please, get one - will be able to do the best job finding it. We do see them occasionally come up for sale, but really not very often. And the ones that I have seen - be they newer or completely remodeled/updated - are generally > $600K.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,259,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

While homes are certainly razed from time to time, I think it's an exageration to claim that Raleigh's stock is frequently razed.
When talking about all ranch style homes, not just ultra modern or mid century....lots are not surviving. I used to live near an upscale neighborhood, where the age of the homes was directly reflected in the size and style of the build. And older homes were constantly, and still are, being bought and bulldozed to maek way for 5,000sq ft McMansions. I drove through this neighborhood again last week, and was yet again surprised at the number of huge new homes. These might not have been homes designed by a famous mid century architect, but they are still the older style contemporaries....and most people do not like that style, and have no problem tearing one down. I could drive you through this neighborhood today, and point out 10 houses that I think will be gone when the current owner passes or decides to move...to be replaced by a huge McMansion.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:10 AM

43 posts, read 33,796 times
"McMansion" = House larger and nicer than one's own.

Using this overused phrase makes a person sound rather envious and sour-grapey, IMHO. What's wrong with a nice big new house? Unless it spreads to all sides of a tiny lot, that is.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 AM

86 posts, read 111,295 times
I've never been a fan of the ultra modern, Ikea type look. It just feels sterile to me. Love, love, love the old Victorians but could never afford the upkeep on one of those, so its transitional for me too. Give me one big kitchen/family room with a nice sized laundry area and 1/2 bath off to the side. The open floor plans in the newer homes just seems to work well for today's lifestyles where formal dining rooms and parlors sit unused (except for holiday meals) in most cases.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 AM

6,762 posts, read 6,390,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunduri View Post
I've never been a fan of the ultra modern, Ikea type look. It just feels sterile to me. Love, love, love the old Victorians but could never afford the upkeep on one of those, so its transitional for me too. Give me one big kitchen/family room with a nice sized laundry area and 1/2 bath off to the side. The open floor plans in the newer homes just seems to work well for today's lifestyles where formal dining rooms and parlors sit unused (except for holiday meals) in most cases.
You are probably a typical buyer. The typical buyers' preferences are the reason no builder will take a chance on building spec homes in a contemporary style. Anyone wanting a true contemporary will have to custom build.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 AM

19,249 posts, read 29,661,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You might consider to plan to hire an architect and build your own, either infill or in a small subdivision.

AIA is active here, and does a yearly tour, which is great fun. However, there are not many options in neighborhoods that are dedicated strictly to contemporary new construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You are probably a typical buyer. The typical buyers' preferences are the reason no builder will take a chance on building spec homes in a contemporary style. Anyone wanting a true contemporary will have to custom build.
Yep.
This is a "build what you want" style.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 AM

10,327 posts, read 17,141,726 times
Default Contemporary Home in Raleigh

Not brand new but looks like what you were talking about:
Attached Thumbnails
modern/contemporary homes or communities in the Triangle area?-contemporary.jpg  

Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM

227 posts, read 459,720 times
Not bad looking, however most of the older contemporary looking homes in the triangle are needing upgrades, whether inside the house, structure or mechanicals. I don't want to have to purchase a home and then have to change out all the windows and the A/C heat, because they are way past there time and they are not energy efficient at all. If I was to buy again I would be looking for something up to date with all the energy efficient perks already installed.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Not brand new but looks like what you were talking about:

Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 AM

10,327 posts, read 17,141,726 times
Default another one...

Here ya go, John.

I have to say...I am amazed at the number that I found but also...it seems that many Realtors do not know what contemporary is!!!

The prices of these are pretty hefty and the days on market seems to be very long. Again, re sale seems to be a bit of an issue.

Vicki
Attached Thumbnails
modern/contemporary homes or communities in the Triangle area?-tisdale.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary