U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 AM

10,191 posts, read 16,533,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesunnyandbright View Post
Hi there, we are considering if we should move up to Carolinas. But there are so many considerents and we have no friends or family in the Raleigh area to ask, so we hope some friendly folks here can offer us an opinion on the following aspects:

1. We are in the remodeling residential market, having projects averaging within $10-$60,000. It has been quite slow for us here past 3-4 yrs. What is the market in Raleigh for such projects? Are there a lot of remodels or more new construction? Does anyone know if projects are paid better in Raleigh vs. Atlanta? I keep reading in the builder news that Raleigh has better unemployment, job growth and more stable housing market.

There is quite a bit of new construction but less than we used to have. Many of my clients are remodeling instead of moving right now. Word of mouth seems to be the best way to find workers.

2. We don't care much for fancy shopping, night life, or sports events. But we have four children that LOVE outdoors. Can you compare the opportunities of quick, inexpensive weekend getaways for families with kids between the two areas?

The beach is 2.5 hours away and the mountains are 3.5 hours away. We have tons of parks and lakes.

3. How does the college education level compare between the two?

We have many colleges in the area, including UNC-CH and NCSU, which are highly rated.

4. Are there a lot of homeschoolers in the area?!

I have heard there is but I don't KNOW that.

5. Do you see the conservative values and hospitality being more prominent in Raleigh vs. Atlanta?

6. Local Farmers Market opportunities or small farms in the Raleigh area where to buy locally grown food like meat, eggs, milk?

Yes.

7. Are there as many bugs as in Georgia? The palmetto bugs are extremely disgusting, really! :P

Probably.

8. I understood that the weather is similar. While we can take hot weather, the humidity can be overpowering here, sometimes. Is it just as humid there or less? Are there more chances of hurricanes/tornadoes there than here?

Less humid.

9. Is gardening growing season similar to GA? I am interested in growing tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, herbs.

Similar, yes.

10. Cost of living between the two cities? Gas prices in Raleigh?

I saw gas yesterday at $3.75 and $3.85, depending on where you look.

11. Is housing/land more affordable or less affordable in the Raleigh area?

I have heard that Raleigh is a bit more expensive than Atlanta but there are websites that you can compare the two.

12. Retirement communities better than Atlanta?

I know there are a lot of aspects, but if you could compare only one or two that you are aware of, and reply by the question number, that would be AWESOME!!!! Or whatever related opinion that I might have missed on. Thank you soooo much!
I think the reason you didn't get as many people to respond is that you are comparing Raleigh to Atlanta. If you don't know Atlanta but do know Raleigh, it isn't easy to respond.

I added a few answers, below your questions. They got mixed in with your questions but they are there!

Hope that helps a bit.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 AM

804 posts, read 943,080 times
i will bite (although i would caution you on getting snippy early on when you have listed a very wide array of questions in one thread with a somewhat vague title).

1. We are in the remodeling residential market, having projects averaging within $10-$60,000. It has been quite slow for us here past 3-4 yrs. What is the market in Raleigh for such projects? Are there a lot of remodels or more new construction? Does anyone know if projects are paid better in Raleigh vs. Atlanta? I keep reading in the builder news that Raleigh has better unemployment, job growth and more stable housing market.
i know that GA was hit hard in the construction industry. NC was hit, too, but likely not as hard. our housing market is still holding steady in comparison to other parts of the country but i have no idea the market for upgrades/projects on homes since this is a buyer's market & it's quite possible people are able to buy more home for their money & therefore may/may not need additional repairs/projects.

2. We don't care much for fancy shopping, night life, or sports events. But we have four children that LOVE outdoors. Can you compare the opportunities of quick, inexpensive weekend getaways for families with kids between the two areas?
there's plenty to do in terms of getting to the mountains (3-4 hours away) or the beach (2-3 hours away). see the visitnc site for more info on our lovely state.

3. How does the college education level compare between the two?
i recommend checking out the city-data page on the triangle area. we are one of the areas that boasts a rather well-educated population given the number of universities & colleges in the area, as well as the research triangle park.

4. Are there a lot of homeschoolers in the area?!
i've heard there's a decent homeschooling population. do a search on homeschooling on this forum & i know a number of threads will pop up that may better answer your question.

5. Do you see the conservative values and hospitality being more prominent in Raleigh vs. Atlanta?
no idea.

6. Local Farmers Market opportunities or small farms in the Raleigh area where to buy locally grown food like meat, eggs, milk?
there are some CSAs in the areas, as well as the raleigh farmers market

7. Are there as many bugs as in Georgia? The palmetto bugs are extremely disgusting, really! :P
no idea.

8. I understood that the weather is similar. While we can take hot weather, the humidity can be overpowering here, sometimes. Is it just as humid there or less? Are there more chances of hurricanes/tornadoes there than here?
very humid here, just as GA is in all the times i've been there. we do often see the effects from any hurricane that hits the coast & have had some damage before from hurricanes coming directly through. last year we had a huge outbreak of tornadoes (like much of the country) & occasionally we do have tornado warnings. i'd recommend checking NOAA for more info on the history of hurricanes & tornadoes in our area.

9. Is gardening growing season similar to GA? I am interested in growing tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, herbs.
i would assume so but would have to defer to better gardeners than i since my husband is our resident farmer in our small garden.

10. Cost of living between the two cities? Gas prices in Raleigh?
again, i would refer you to the city-data page for our area which will provide a lot of info that you will probably like to review. gas prices will certainly be higher as our tax is higher. cost-of-living in comparison to the atlanta area will depend on many things like what sort of housing you seek, where you live in the area here compared to there (i.e., living in buckhead there versus garner here would be apples to oranges in comparison with buckhead severely outweighing garner's cost of living; living in duluth there versus north raleigh here may be somewhat comparable with raleigh probably having a higher cost of living)

11. Is housing/land more affordable or less affordable in the Raleigh area?
i fully believe that GA prices are cheaper, especially given the housing/foreclosure market there. but again, city-data would be your friend on that more than i could state.

12. Retirement communities better than Atlanta?
no idea.

i'd recommend reviewing the city-data page for the raleigh area & then doing a search on these forums to answer questions, then posting specific questions once you've reviewed all of that.

Last edited by LoopDeLoop; 03-21-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 AM

13 posts, read 9,750 times
goldenage1, I actually have been researching quite a little bit this forum and other statistic data and professional data in comparing the two. However, there is not much comparison out there from people who lived in both metros, that are in our field or that are homeschooling, which is totally different than statistics and I prefer. If you think I just pop some questions inhere because I am too lazy to do my own research, you are highly mistaken...

Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 AM

804 posts, read 943,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The area is probably fine for your family.

It would seem to hinge on business opportunity.
As a GC, you should take a look at the NC Licensing Board for General Contractors site.

Those $60,000 jobs will require a state license.
very good point, mikejaquish. anything over $30K will require a GC license.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM

Sorry, for getting "snippy", but I got an email warning that said:
"There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again. All the best, City-Data Forum"

I did check the NC Licensing Board for GC and the Real Estate Board, I did check city-data for any comparison thread posted here, I did check bestplaces.net, I do get the builder news all the time and watch the industry trends. And I don't understand why do I have to defend myself like this right now, when the above aspects are very important to our family and actually might help other similar families out there.
VickyR and LoopdeLoop, thanks for the replies, they do help.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
very good point, mikejaquish. anything over $30K will require a GC license.
I know, I checked that and my husband should be able to get a license.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM

18,938 posts, read 28,378,657 times
Quote:
I know, I checked that and my husband should be able to get a license.
Cool.
Then it just turns into building a network of subs he can work with, and being able to sell his work.

We still have opportunity here, even with building slow down. It is just that the margins are slimmer and projects tend to be smaller.
Running a lean business, great quality and service, and he may do OK.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Cool.
Then it just turns into building a network of subs he can work with, and being able to sell his work.

We still have opportunity here, even with building slow down. It is just that the margins are slimmer and projects tend to be smaller.
Running a lean business, great quality and service, and he may do OK.
I know it will take a while until we have it up and running, but we have good reviews on kudzu, which should transfer, good referrals, experience and lots of pictures to speak for itself.

Also, I see that my real estate license would transfer under the reciprocity with GA, so that will be great!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 AM

18,938 posts, read 28,378,657 times
Quote:
I know it will take a while until we have it up and running, but we have good reviews on kudzu, which should transfer, good referrals, experience and lots of pictures to speak for itself.

Also, I see that my real estate license would transfer under the reciprocity with GA, so that will be great!
Read up some on reciprocity.
There is a test now

Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Read up some on reciprocity.
There is a test now
Ok, I see, it makes perfect sense, I am surprised it was not required until now. I see that there are 8h CE required vs. 6h in GA. Not too bad.

Since you are in the field, do you know if I might find a willing broker to accept me with an active license, even if I will not be very active in the beginning? We still have little ones in the family and it will take us a while to make new contacts in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary