Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times

Advertisements

The Herald-Sun - Southpoint hits 10 years since its opening (http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/17784020/article-Southpoint-hits-10-years-since-its-opening? - broken link)

It's been 10 years since the Southpoint Mall opened and this part of Durham has continued to see growth. I am wondering if people who live South Durham have a list of what they would like to see added to our area. And also for those of you who visit and shop but live else where, what sort of changes would you like to see.

Lastly, does anyone know how long Brier Creek has been around? Was Southpoint & BC built about the same time?

As someone who lives here, I would like to see either a YMCA with an indoor pool or the City build a community center with an indoor pool. I also wish that we had more non-chain restaurants in the area, but I think that is a nature of the rent in this area. And of the chain restaurants that I would like to see are:
Old Spaghetti Factory, Chevy's Fresh Mex, Taco Del Mar, Sonic, IN-N-OUT Burger, and Burgerville. Yep, I know some of these are west coast only or California only in the case of IN-N-OUt, but I didn't say the request had to be reasonable ones. Oh and occasionally I crave a Taco Time crisp bean burrito and all it's unhealthiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:30 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
The Herald-Sun - Southpoint hits 10 years since its opening (http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/17784020/article-Southpoint-hits-10-years-since-its-opening? - broken link)

It's been 10 years since the Southpoint Mall opened and this part of Durham has continued to see growth. I am wondering if people who live South Durham have a list of what they would like to see added to our area. And also for those of you who visit and shop but live else where, what sort of changes would you like to see.

Lastly, does anyone know how long Brier Creek has been around? Was Southpoint & BC built about the same time?

As someone who lives here, I would like to see either a YMCA with an indoor pool or the City build a community center with an indoor pool. I also wish that we had more non-chain restaurants in the area, but I think that is a nature of the rent in this area. And of the chain restaurants that I would like to see are:
Old Spaghetti Factory, Chevy's Fresh Mex, Taco Del Mar, Sonic, IN-N-OUT Burger, and Burgerville. Yep, I know some of these are west coast only or California only in the case of IN-N-OUt, but I didn't say the request had to be reasonable ones. Oh and occasionally I crave a Taco Time crisp bean burrito and all it's unhealthiness.
The land for Brier Creek was acquired in 2002 and the plaza itself opened in 2005, so it was three years behind Southpoint.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:33 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Southpoint, Triangle Town Center and Brier Creek were all conceived around the same time. Brier Creek was supposed to be a mall but shifted gears when the two other malls beat their developer to the punch. Personally, I would have preferred that Brier Creek had become a super mall at the expense of the other two. This would have positioned a mall near the geographic center of the Triangle. ...but that's just my opinion.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM

423 posts, read 1,094,858 times
I would gladly take a post office and some new schools in SW Durham. Maybe even a continuous sidewalk on 751 and a real bicycle lane? And if we can dream big, restaurants that are BYOB like I had in NJ.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Personally, I would have preferred that Brier Creek had become a super mall at the expense of the other two. This would have positioned a mall near the geographic center of the Triangle.
As someone living in the western part of the Triangle, I'm grateful for Southpoint being where it is.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Wow, it has already been 10 years already; Im starting to fill old.
That exit has transform alot within the last ten years and I expect it to transform even twice what it is now with shopping centers, big box stores and apartment complexes.

I remember before the mall, old simple exit on two lane road with nothing but a country drive to Jordan Lake.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 PM

107 posts, read 143,836 times
Remember when people said it would never work in that location? LOL

Were they ever wrong or what? It changed everything.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:24 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Wow, it has already been 10 years already; Im starting to fill old.
That exit has transform alot within the last ten years and I expect it to transform even twice what it is now with shopping centers, big box stores and apartment complexes.

I remember before the mall, old simple exit on two lane road with nothing but a country drive to Jordan Lake.
OMG! I thought the same thing. Holy smokes, where did the time go?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM

17 posts, read 28,365 times
I was attending NCSSM when Southpoint opened in 2002. We used to have a weekend activity bus that dropped off students at South Square mall and the movie theater, and they started going to Southpoint instead when it opened. Northgate is conveniently within walking distance so I usually went there if I needed to get a food court fix or grab something small like a CD or DVD.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCfolks View Post
Remember when people said it would never work in that location? LOL

Were they ever wrong or what? It changed everything.
They are the same people that can't understand why urban development (eg: light rail, etc.) will work.

I remember I had just started my job in RTP as they were clearing the place where the mall is. I watched that thing get built from "I wonder what it will be" to "Daddy, can we go to Southpoint"? If asked, I would have guessed it is closer to five years old. The time, it flies....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary