Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 PM

59 posts, read 101,141 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was accepted to a nursing school in Greensboro and was thinking of commuting from hillsborough to school in greensboro. Is there anyone out there that does this drive? About how many minutes one way? I'm out of state so don't know the area too well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
It's gonna run you 45 minutes to an hour, most likely. Depends on time of day and exactly where you're coming from/headed to.

I wouldn't do it. But, I hate facing a long drive every day if it's not a necessity.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,106 times
I know a lady that commutes from Greensboro to Cary every day. And that is 20 mins more than to Hillsborough. so it is doable -- but you might want to consider recording your lectures so you can 'study' in the car by re-listening to the lectures to/from! And think of other ways to use that drive time instead of just letting it be a time sink...

Also - check out the times of classes in the nursing school -- do they start at 7am, 8am or 9am -- because traffic may become an irritating issue for you. The other thing to consider is befriending someone who lives more local in case winter weather causes an issue to/from school -- those nursing schools generally do *not* like snow/weather excuses for missing class...

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,515 times
It's about a 45 minute drive, depending on where in Greensboro you're going.

While I don't think it'll be a terrible drive for most of it, that's going to depend on factors affecting the traffic situation (especially time of day, like WeLuvNC said) in Greensboro more than anything in between the two places. Greensboro can get kind of congested at peak times like anywhere else but you might be able to get around that if you plan your classes right.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
It's about a 45 minute drive, depending on where in Greensboro you're going.
And where in Hillsborough you're starting from.

It's about 50 miles on I-40 between Hillsborough and Greensboro. Time of day and traffic will impact how long that takes. Of course, you have to plan for the unplannable traffic snafu, meaning you're probably going to need to allow a 20-30 minute buffer. On top of that, you have to add the driving time off the highway and time to park and get to class. Given that, I think it's safe to plan on about 1:15 - 1:30 conservatively, or best case about an hour.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
Is this at NC A&T? We somewhat regularly visit the Greensboro Childrens Museum, which is quite close to there, and it takes us about 45 minutes to get there on a weekend. Your proximity to I-40/85 in Hillsborough will dictate exactly how long it will take you to get there (could subtract 10 min if you are right off the highway or add 10 if you are north of town).

Old 03-21-2012, 12:09 PM

126 posts, read 314,210 times
45 minutes, 60 in traffic, rush hour or an accident on i-40/85

Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 PM

59 posts, read 101,141 times
Thanks for all your replies! And yes, it is NC A&T.

Do you guys have any comments on the particular university's reputation?

Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,219 times
Quote:
but you might want to consider recording your lectures so you can 'study' in the car by re-listening to the lectures to/from! And think of other ways to use that drive time instead of just letting it be a time sink...
Like we really need someone else driving down I40 and concentrating on something other than driving.

To the OP,
Like the others said it is 45 minutes+ depending on where you are going in Greensboro and where in Hillsborough. It is 65 mph interstate most of the way and unless there is road construction or an accident traffic rarely backs up until you get to Greensboro.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:34 PM

569 posts, read 1,978,219 times
I don't know much about their nursing program except from what I read it has been struggling with low test scores. UNC committee approves nanoengineering programs at N.C. A&T : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis

http://www.news-record.com/node/13864
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary