Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 AM

5,824 posts, read 6,886,448 times

Advertisements

The N&O recently made changes
Drescher: News & Observer will get a new look - Drescher - NewsObserver.com

I'm OK with the new layout. Even though they claim no changes in font size, I find the section where they note business updates (people with new jobs, charitable activities, etc) harder to read.

On the comics, I was sad to see them drop "Scary Gary". I thought it was stupid at first, but then came to like it. I think they should instead drop some of the strips where the creator has died, such as Peanuts or BC.

(I'm sure there are some who will comment "What's a newspaper?", but I enjoy having a physical paper to read.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,893,300 times
I still read the N&O daily. The recent cosmetic changes seem fine. Can't say it's going to help anything - the N&O is in a death spiral. Rising costs and dropping subscriptions have caused it to cut back on its content to such a degree that there is less and less justification to pay for the paper - thankfully the coupons offset the cost.

Everyone reads it for their own reasons - I personally don't care about comics and other fluff. I read the front section and the local/business section - the rest just gets recycled without a glance.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,136,495 times
If they brought the content back up to old levels and brought back the weekend events magazine they had on Fridays, MAYBE I would still read that paper. But paying 75 cents for something that's a tiny fraction of the size it used to be? No thanks.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,376,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Everyone reads it for their own reasons - I personally don't care about comics and other fluff. I read the front section and the local/business section - the rest just gets recycled without a glance.
I immediately toss the sports, ad inserts and sometimes the front page too, but I hang on to the Life and the Triangle & State sections. I find the front page to be mostly a repeat of stuff I've heard on NPR or seen in AP breifs other places, though I do read the Ed page occasionally.

I also have to admit that probably 90% of the reason I still get the N&O is for the puzzles. I have puzzles on my kindle, but there's just something about doing them on paper that I'm not ready to give up yet. They moved the puzzles in the new lay out changes but thankfully kept the content the same, but I was scared for a sec when I couldn't find them in their old spot right before the funnies.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 AM

521 posts, read 1,596,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I think they should instead drop some of the strips where the creator has died, such as Peanuts...
Blasphemy!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM

307 posts, read 671,700 times
I wasn't sure it was still being published.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 AM

4,297 posts, read 5,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
I wasn't sure it was still being published.
It must be...they've called me three times in the past week trying to get me to sign up.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:39 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,683,960 times
The new typography is fine. At some point this week, the sheet size will be reduced.

The N&O has fared better than other newspapers because population growth has mostly offset the ongoing decline in newspaper readership percentages. How those two factors will play out for the N&O in future years is anyone's guess. A boost in the economy would help too.

That said, I also tire of reading one AP story after another. On the other hand, they have to run some kind of copy around the advertisements in Section A. Beyond the first three pages, that's basically the purpose of all those AP stories. I almost always start reading the paper at Section B.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 AM

4,297 posts, read 5,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
It must be...they've called me three times in the past week trying to get me to sign up.
Make that four times.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 AM

770 posts, read 2,750,377 times
I agree the N and O is in a downward spiral but I still like to read it. Its my Ying to the WSJ Yang in the morning. I just renewed for (7 day delivery) $140 plus $20 HT gift card.
LIke another poster said, the cost is more than covered by coupons at that price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary