Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,709,846 times

Advertisements

We live in Wake Forest and wonder where we can take paint, oil, old tires to have disposed of?
We're also trying to clear out the trash people have dumped in the woods behind our home so how about propane tanks as well . .thanks Peeps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 06:59 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,120,801 times
Quote:
Household hazardous materials cannot be disposed of in the landfill because of their caustic properties and potential for environmental contamination. The County has established a collection program where residents can drop-off these materials to then be properly disposed of by a certified Household Hazardous Waste contractor.

North Wake Solid Waste Management Facility
9037 Deponie Drive [driving directions]
Monday–Saturday, 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
South Wake Solid Waste Management Facility
6130 Old Smithfield Road [driving directions]
ACCEPTED MATERIALS

acids / bases
automobile fluids / antifreeze
batteries
cooking oil / motor oil
fire extinguishers (dry chemical)
fluorescent light bulbs
fuel oil / lighter fluid / kerosene
household cleaners /chemicals
mercury thermometers
paints / lacquers / polishes
pesticides / herbicides / poisons
photographic chemicals
solvents / thinners / wood preservatives
UNACCEPTED MATERIALS

ammunition
commercially generated waste
explosives / shock sensitive items
hypodermic needles /syringes
medical waste
radioactive materials
smoke detectors
trash / recyclables
unknown materials
WakeGOV.com - Household Hazardous Waste

I'm guessing you're talking small propane tanks for grills and the like? It looks like that would fall under accepted items but I'd call ahead to be sure.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,535,274 times
North Wake Solid Waste Management Facility
9037 Deponie Drive

This is an amazing facility -- we were disposing of an old t.v. and took it here -- and I noticed they have areas for paint, cooking oil, motor oil, old toys, computers, monitors, tvs, paint, etc etc etc. when you drive in, the area to the left is for building materials, metal, recyclables and household trash. If you drive straight and then to the right, that is the area for all the areas for paint, etc etc. When you load it in your trunk/car/truck/trailer, just put like things together and then they'll tell you where to dispose of it when you are there.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,644,716 times
Paint and oil I just dump down the drain. The drains near my house say "drains to local waterway" and I believe the the waterway leads to the ocean (eventually) so we're good there.

Tires I typically burn. It keeps the mosquitoes away.

Just kidding, the links above are how you are supposed to properly dispose of these materials.

For paint, I believe I read that you can fill the can with sand and then dispose in your regular trash. Motor oil can be taken to any auto repair place (I use AutoZone) and they will dispose of it properly.

Not sure about tires.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM

273 posts, read 616,967 times
I live in Wake Forest as well.

With respect to the propane tanks, I'd love to take them off your hands if they arent junk tanks. I use them for glassblowing.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:19 PM

441 posts, read 1,287,661 times
I took 12 cans of paint there last week, the guy at the paint area was very nice and told me to stay in the truck and he will unload, in / out 10 min. Great service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary