U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 AM

6,061 posts, read 8,874,998 times
Default Anyone have trouble using Google phone numbers w/new area code dialing change?

A family member uses a Google number that rolls over to his cellphone.

Some people call it, and it works, and some get a "This number has been disconnected" message. And yes, both are dialing 919 first.

Is anyone having a similar problem?

It started when it became necessary to dial the area code first to all local numbers.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 AM

210 posts, read 374,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
A family member uses a Google number that rolls over to his cellphone.

Some people call it, and it works, and some get a "This number has been disconnected" message. And yes, both are dialing 919 first.

Is anyone having a similar problem?

It started when it became necessary to dial the area code first to all local numbers.

Thanks.
Just tested mine w/o issue. 919 number called from 919 number.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 AM

4,551 posts, read 4,531,198 times
I had someone email me today saying my office number was disconnected, and that they had dialed the area code. But others have called me with no issues. Secretly I wouldn't mind some days if everyone got a disconnected message to my office phone.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I had someone email me today saying my office number was disconnected, and that they had dialed the area code. But others have called me with no issues. Secretly I wouldn't mind some days if everyone got a disconnected message to my office phone.
Interesting. Maybe there are problems with some phone numbers, not necessarily Google numbers. Hmmm.

Anyone else?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 AM

I found by dialing "1" plus the area code, the call goes through. I don't understand why some phones you don't have to dial "1" and some you do. Oh well. The mysteries of technology.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 AM

791 posts, read 1,744,909 times
Quote:
I found by dialing "1" plus the area code, the call goes through. I don't understand why some phones you don't have to dial "1" and some you do. Oh well. The mysteries of technology.
This could be it. I have Ooma and I must dial the one or I end up calling a completely different person. It took me awhile to get used to it, but I remember now. I also have to make sure I have the one recorded for her in my speed dial or I get the same problem.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM

1,382 posts, read 1,138,014 times
Quote:
You are only supposed to need to dial 1+ for long distance calls (the ones we used to have to pay for before wireless and VoIP killled LD). Many phone system operators are taking the lazy way out and making people dial 1+ for everything.

Here are the specifics on dialing from the NC Utilities web site.

http://www.ncuc.commerce.state.nc.us/984info.pdf
"Because of the addition of the new 984 Area Code, you will be required to dial 10 digits (Area Code + 7-digit phone number) when making local calls. Long-distance calls will require 1+10-digit dialing. Operator assisted calls will require 0+10-digit dialing. Remember to use the new 984 Area Code as needed."

Old 04-03-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
You are only supposed to need to dial 1+ for long distance calls (the ones we used to have to pay for before wireless and VoIP killled LD). Many phone system operators are taking the lazy way out and making people dial 1+ for everything.

Here are the specifics on dialing from the NC Utilities web site.

http://www.ncuc.commerce.state.nc.us/984info.pdf
"Because of the addition of the new 984 Area Code, you will be required to dial 10 digits (Area Code + 7-digit phone number) when making local calls. Long-distance calls will require 1+10-digit dialing. Operator assisted calls will require 0+10-digit dialing. Remember to use the new 984 Area Code as needed."
Yes, I know. The problem is that different phones, from the same general area, were responding differently. One could call the number without the "1" and the other could not. The number being called is not out of the area and not long distance.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:26 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,162,744 times
my iphone automatically added a bunch of +1's to my 919 Contacts, beginning about 3 weeks ago. What that means, I don't know ... I just assumed it meant Apple loved me so much they were making the changes for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary