Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 AM

130 posts, read 503,377 times

Advertisements

I have quite a bit of furniture that I would like to get rid of as we have just bought new furniture. I am a little hesitant to sell the furniture on Craigslist just because I am not crazy about having strangers come to, or into, my house with all of the horror stories I have heard about this. I understand that donating the furniture would be another option but, because I don’t itemize, I don’t think I would be able to get a tax write off for it. It is a lot of stuff – kitchen table/chairs, 8 room dining table set with hutch, Lazyboy sofa/chair, end tables so it will add up to a pretty good amount. Are there any other options that you can think of as far as selling this furniture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Garage sale on one day, with a Craigslist ad for the garage sale and then ads for the individual items with the mention that they are available for a specific price at the garage sale. Have a specific start time. Then donate what you don't sell. Price everything to sell.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 AM

232 posts, read 553,218 times
You can make an effort to screen who you actually allow to view the furniture if you post on Craig's list. Many people put the furniture they are selling in their garage so potential buyers don't actually go into the home. Also make sure someone else is with you when people come to look.

Other than that, having a yard sale or trying to sell it through a furniture consignment store seem like obvious alternatives.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,547 times
Whenever I've sold larger items on Craigslist, I've always had it waiting in the the driveway when they came, and did it when someone else was with me. I've also done what brentwood mentioned and had great success.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 AM

413 posts, read 877,899 times
Post pictures and a firm cash price. That will help weed out the "lookers"
I'd think.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAVacation View Post
You can make an effort to screen who you actually allow to view the furniture if you post on Craig's list. Many people put the furniture they are selling in their garage so potential buyers don't actually go into the home. Also make sure someone else is with you when people come to look.

Other than that, having a yard sale or trying to sell it through a furniture consignment store seem like obvious alternatives.
Besides a garage sale, I would second putting the items in your garage (if you have one) and let perspective buyers look there. I did this years ago when I was selling furniture before leaving GA and it worked out well.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM

130 posts, read 503,377 times
Some good ideas! Thanks for the tips.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 AM

226 posts, read 610,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
Whenever I've sold larger items on Craigslist, I've always had it waiting in the the driveway when they came, and did it when someone else was with me. I've also done what brentwood mentioned and had great success.
This is definitely the way to do it on Craigs List. I also require that we speak on the phone, before I give out my address. If it's priced right, you should sell it quickly.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,543 times
I would also suggest that you tell them to put in a phone number for you to call if they are serious and not reply to any emails that don't contain it. This will weed out the spammers.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 PM

58 posts, read 130,260 times
Also, put the dimensions of the piece you are selling - ideally use a photo editor to write the dimensions right on the picture of what you are selling so it is clear what you are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary