Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM

23 posts, read 47,612 times

Advertisements

Looking online they have huge homes that are amazingly cheap. Cheaper than Apex. Does it have bad areas and thats why the homes are cheap? or is it just cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Durham has been described as gritty. (In some parts.)

Apex is a tiny suburban town and has never been described as gritty. Apples and oranges.

See Durham, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Durham - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here and compare it to the addresses of the homes for sale.

I don't know any city on earth that doesn't have different types of areas within it.

Of course, compared to California, everything here seems like a deal.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:54 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
Durham has some very bad areas and some very nice areas too. If you use Trulia you can use a map feature to see crimes near the home you are considering (I'm sure it's not a foolproof tool, but it helps).

Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 PM

74 posts, read 203,589 times
Unfortunately we do not live in a utopia. In the most serene of neighborhoods, every community in America has crime of some sort. Nice is dependent on what you are used to and your neighbors. I haven't liven anywhere where ignorant people don't also hold residence. That's makes a difference.

I live in Southpoint - I think it's nice. But recently heard an acquaintance talking about how Southpoint was too "built up." Depends.

If I'm not mistaken, Apex has a lot of planned communities, so that may have an impact on price.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,152 times
Thanks Lovebrentwood - I had not seen that website before.

RAIDS is another on-line crime tracker that you can use too:
RAIDS Online - Crime mapping, email reports and tips for the public

As far as why the house may be so cheap, I know the schools in Durham have a reputation of not being as good as neighboring towns. I have no idea if that is true or not? But with that reputation I imagine demand for homes would be diminished since families with kids would gravitate to towns (like Apex) with better school reputations. Lower demand means lower prices to attract buyers.

Something else to check out is what type of sale it is.
I actually read this a few days ago. "Nicer" houses in upscale neighborhoods are being foreclosed/abandoned & by the time they are resold are fixer-uppers. Rich Neighborhood, Poor House - SmartMoney.com
If it works for you, could be a good investment. But I'd make sure to see the house with a realator so you know what you are getting.
I'm not saying all the houses in Durham are like this, but be aware they are out there (forewarned is forearmed).

Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
What area are you looking in?

I don't know that I would just look at houses online for Durham and go for it but this rule pretty much applies for Durham, "if it looks like the hood, IT IS". Also drive around about a 2-3 mile radius to see the neighboring areas.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM

23 posts, read 47,612 times
Thank you

Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
What area are you looking in?

I don't know that I would just look at houses online for Durham and go for it but this rule pretty much applies for Durham, "if it looks like the hood, IT IS". Also drive around about a 2-3 mile radius to see the neighboring areas.

Isn't that a good rule for any city?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Why is it that the standard advice given regarding Durham seems always to be to check to crime stats? If someone was asking a similar general question about Raleigh or Wake County (which also have their share of bad areas), would the same type of advice be given?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbstar3 View Post
Looking online they have huge homes that are amazingly cheap. Cheaper than Apex. Does it have bad areas and thats why the homes are cheap? or is it just cheaper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Why is it that the standard advice given regarding Durham seems always to be to check to crime stats? If someone was asking a similar general question about Raleigh or Wake County (which also have their share of bad areas), would the same type of advice be given?
Seems in this case to be reasonable input to the OP.
The "check stats" didn't come out of left field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary