U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 PM

919 posts, read 2,028,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Would certainly offer a reasonable commute in both directions, but be aware there is much planning work going on right now between Durham and Chapel Hill regarding that area, which traffic-wise is one of the most congested in the Triangle.

Most of the traffic is from Durham-> Chapel Hill in the morning, though, right? I really don't know, but I assumed OP's husband would be traveling against traffic for the most part to head to RTP. Being adjacent to a CH Transit bus stop in that corridor would be a good call, for sure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM

864 posts, read 1,374,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Or commute in to Chapel Hill and use one of several park and ride lots to catch a bus to campus.
My wife found it far better to just catch the bus to work directly from home, rather than drive, park, and THEN still have to catch a bus. We specifically chose an apartment at Glen Lennox that was like 1 or 2 minutes walk from a stop on the S bus line.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:04 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,191,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Most of the traffic is from Durham-> Chapel Hill in the morning, though, right? I really don't know, but I assumed OP's husband would be traveling against traffic for the most part to head to RTP.
Although I don't travel that area extensively, my experience has been that it's congested in both directions, and predicted to get worse - although the worst of it may be as you described.

chapelhillnews.com | Solution elusive for congested I-40, N.C. 54 intersection

Old 04-04-2012, 01:35 PM

804 posts, read 1,748,860 times
should have clarified that my friend lived in cary, just off of 55. she was doing the park & ride for a while & found it so cumbersome that she managed to get a "cheap" parking space that she rented from some organization. i think she still walked about a mile to her office, but it was better than nothing.

i'm assuming that if the OP was living near RTP area that she congestion would be greater for her. in this situation, it might make more sense to try to live in CH on a busline & have her husband commute to RTP.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:57 PM

13 posts, read 34,283 times
Thank you everyone for your replies, this is very helpful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
As for UNC parking, it is expensive (~700/year). The real issue is will your employing department have a parking permit for you. Some departments have enough to go around, others do not. If you have a permit, parking is no problem. If you live along Hwy 54, there are buses that go directly to UNC campus. However, you can easily spend 1-2 hours per day on the buses.
Wow 1-2 hours? That sounds worse than driving then using the park and ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
should have clarified that my friend lived in cary, just off of 55. she was doing the park & ride for a while & found it so cumbersome that she managed to get a "cheap" parking space that she rented from some organization. i think she still walked about a mile to her office, but it was better than nothing.
So I was thinking about using the park and ride ... say if I drove ~15 min to the park and ride at Friday Center, how far would the bus ride be to the medical side of campus? I found this link which seems like its another 15 minutes http://www.townofchapelhill.org/index.aspx?page=715

Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM

524 posts, read 1,099,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain41 View Post
So I was thinking about using the park and ride ... say if I drove ~15 min to the park and ride at Friday Center, how far would the bus ride be to the medical side of campus? I found this link which seems like its another 15 minutes Town of Chapel Hill : FCX Route
I used to do that ride from the Friday Center to South Campus quite often, and it's 10-15 min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary