U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 AM

16 posts, read 77,534 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I searched and searched last night on various Durham City websites to try to figure out the setback requirements for building a carport. I want to put a carport on the side of my house (single car/single level) and I am trying to figure out how much room I need to leave between the carport and my neighbor's property line. I am in zone RS-8 according to the Durham City zoning atlas. Does anyone know the answer to this question or can you point me in the direction of where I can find the answer? As a last resort I could go downtown to the planning and zoning office but I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,049,653 times
It's going to depend on where you want to put the carport - to the side of your driveway, in the back of the house, etc. I hate to say it, but I'd just call the Planning Office and talk to someone. Going down there is a pain and many times these things can be handled over the phone.

However, you could also try looking at their UDO (Unified Development Ordinances) here: Durham, NC - City of Medicine
I'd start with Article 7: Design Standards and then maybe check out Article 10: Off-Street Parking and Loading.

If you're going to call, it might also be a good idea to check out the UDO before doing so, just so you're at least somewhat familiar with what they're going to tell you...

Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,190,219 times
I would second the suggestion to call Planning. You can find it in the UDO, but it's not the easiest. We are soon building a garage/apartment on our property in Durham and while I was able to understand (I thought) the requirements under our zoning, Planning was very helpful and answered most of my questions in 5 minutes over the phone. Those that they couldn't they transferred to Inspections, which also took my questions over the phone and gave me good info. Of course be sure to write down the name of the person you speak with if there are discrepancies in the future. Not sure whether a carport has less stringent standards than a full enclosed building. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 AM

919 posts, read 2,023,924 times
Planning and Zoning have a combined walk-up desk that you can try to get help at in person as well. They've really streamlined their process over the past couple of months, so walking in and asking for help isn't too much of an ordeal.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 AM

16 posts, read 77,534 times
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm off this Friday maybe I will just head down to the walk up desk. I tried reading the UDO and it wasn't very clear to me. Unless someone on this forum works directly for planning and inspections I think my question has been answered. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,719,909 times
This link will help, but I second just heading downtown to the planning department. They're on the lower level just off the elevator.

Durham, NC - City of Medicine (http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/planning/zoneord/section6/res.cfm - broken link)

Frank

Old 04-04-2012, 05:28 PM

7,745 posts, read 6,110,007 times
If you have Friday off, guess what - they may have Friday off.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 AM

Oops, Bo makes a great point. Most city offices are closed for Good Friday.

City of Durham - News and Noteworthy Details

The press release doesn't mention planning, but I'd call and ask if they're open tomorrow.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM

11,791 posts, read 27,436,549 times
I remember selling a home in Durham about 2 years ago and my client asked about extending her patio.

We were told by the builder that Durham has a strong policy against impervious surfaces. Meaning they only allow so much concrete areas in n'hoods.

Definitely ask about this, as I don't remember the details.

Vicki

Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I remember selling a home in Durham about 2 years ago and my client asked about extending her patio.

We were told by the builder that Durham has a strong policy against impervious surfaces. Meaning they only allow so much concrete areas in n'hoods.

Definitely ask about this, as I don't remember the details.

Vicki
Yep, there's a limit to how much you can have. It's 30 or 33%, if I remember correctly, but if you're in a subdivision you may be able to "borrow" or "buy" some shared impervious surface so that you can get above that number on your land. I've also heard stories of some folks having some of their impervious surface taken by the developer and that it was all in the plat book when they bought the house but didn't notice it until a few years later when they wanted to build a patio.

Durham's looking at spending $800 million or more to clean up Fall's Lake (a reservoir they never wanted and actively lobbied against), so they have to take this stuff seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary