U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 PM

11 posts, read 20,344 times

Advertisements

My good friends daughter was gang raped as a student at southeast Raleigh. I know rapes happen everywhere, in every culture, in every socioeconomic standing, but after this incident I'd leave wake county before my kid went to this school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 05:28 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,686,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedascreenname View Post
My good friends daughter was gang raped as a student at southeast Raleigh. I know rapes happen everywhere, in every culture, in every socioeconomic standing, but after this incident I'd leave wake county before my kid went to this school
Not trying to downplay what happened to your friend's daughter, but I highly doubt this was an on campus event unless it happened a long time ago. The school has strict policies in place regarding student activities and supervision, so I don't see how a gang rape could take place today if those policies are being followed and enforced.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
With all schools now being "schools of choice", I wonder how much will change.

I graduated from Enloe, back when it was just so so. Now that it is a magnet, I have had lots of friends who kids went there. They told me that as long as your students were not in the base population, they were ok. But...again, I wonder how things will change with all the choices that everyone now has?

Vicki
I can't speak for all schools, but we are seeing a slightly negative impact to the magnet programs at SRMHS to some degree, but I'm not sure if it's because of the new school choice policies or because of budget cuts. Either way, the magnet school program offerings are being reduced which may hurt some schools such as SRMHS in the long run.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 PM

11,796 posts, read 27,462,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I can't speak for all schools, but we are seeing a slightly negative impact to the magnet programs at SRMHS to some degree, but I'm not sure if it's because of the new school choice policies or because of budget cuts. Either way, the magnet school program offerings are being reduced which may hurt some schools such as SRMHS in the long run.
I wondered if the magnet schools would be impacted. They were started to draw in the folks that wouldn't allow their kids to go to those schools. So, they added certain programs in the magnets to make parents HAPPY about busing the kids AND thus allowing the base kids to be bused to the better schools. Now, with choice, will the magnet schools remain as popular?

Vicki

Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 PM

574 posts, read 1,077,989 times
Our son was on a magnet track to SERMHS through middle school. We chose to exit the magnet program after 8th grade. I did my research, and it was not a risk I was willing to take for the positives it would give him.

I also wonder about how the magnet choices will change, because even the draw of the magnet extras wasn't enough for me to send my kid there. You can always supplement a child's education. A few good classes isn't worth the danger on the bus, in the hall, in the lunch room, etc. Safety had to be our top priority.

Sorry, I agree with your neighbor.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post
Our son was on a magnet track to SERMHS through middle school. We chose to exit the magnet program after 8th grade. I did my research, and it was not a risk I was willing to take for the positives it would give him.

I also wonder about how the magnet choices will change, because even the draw of the magnet extras wasn't enough for me to send my kid there. You can always supplement a child's education. A few good classes isn't worth the danger on the bus, in the hall, in the lunch room, etc. Safety had to be our top priority.

Sorry, I agree with your neighbor.
I certainly respect your opinion. However, my son's SRMHS bus also picks up middle school students from another school which I'm sure is common across all of Wake County to help reduce busing costs. Danger on the bus? Nope.... unruly behavior is simply not tolerated and many buses have active cameras in them these days. Any misbehaving students are suspended from riding the bus...period.

I'm curious as to why you feel that any "danger" would be limited to SRMHS and could never occur at any other public high school in Wake County?

I'll say it again, my son has attended SRMHS for the past three years and not once has he felt threatened or in danger at any time either while on school property or riding the bus.

If there are research statistics available based upon facts and not hearsay that prove SRMHS is more dangerous than any other public high school in Wake County, then I'm all ears. We simply can't shelter our kids from the society they live in forever.

I would be more concerned about the impact of the new school selection policies on the magnet school programs overall than any "perceived danger" at SRMHS.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I wondered if the magnet schools would be impacted. They were started to draw in the folks that wouldn't allow their kids to go to those schools. So, they added certain programs in the magnets to make parents HAPPY about busing the kids AND thus allowing the base kids to be bused to the better schools. Now, with choice, will the magnet schools remain as popular?

Vicki
I think the continued success or failure of the magnet school programs is in the hands of the school board. My son has accelerated his knowledge in many different areas of technology under the SRMHS magnet program and it would be a shame to see the magnet program dismantled because of stupidity.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 PM

574 posts, read 1,077,989 times
"However, my son's SRMHS bus also picks up middle school students from another school which I'm sure is common across all of Wake County to help reduce busing costs. Danger on the bus? Nope.... unruly behavior is simply not tolerated and many buses have active cameras in them these days. Any misbehaving students are suspended from riding the bus...period. "

That is exactly our first introduction to SRMHS. My son was bussed among the high school kids on a magnet express bus. He then waited 30 minutes at SRMHS to catch said express bus. It was a nightmare. Unruly behavior not tolerated? Maybe. That might be why a resource officer met with the bus often. Very often. That's great it's reported when it happens. Doesn't mean I'm ok with my child going there.

I can tell you straight up that stuff doesn't happen at other high schools. Do you need to believe me? No. If you want to believe all WCPSS high schools are the same, that is fine. I only have to raise my child. I only have to protect my child.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:22 PM

677 posts, read 1,476,483 times
Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate them very much!

For those who have kids there, is the Academic Coaching program as good as it sounds on paper? One of my son's biggest problems in school has been that nobody has taken much interest in helping him be a better student because they feel at his age he should be more responsible for himself and seem to ignore the fact that he has ADHD and a learning disability that make it difficult for him to take the initiative other kids his age seem to do with no problem.

His English teacher offered to mentor him at the beginning of the school year, then after a month and a half of me emailing her and asking her if she had started yet, since my son said she hadn't, she finally replied and said she decided not to because he didn't seem to have any interest in receiving help and she didn't want to waste her time on a student who 'doesn't care'. It surprised me that it took a month and a half of me emailing her for her to finally reply and said she wasn't doing what I had been under the impression she was doing all that time.

Middle school was easier for him because they had a period of Guided Study every day, but the only similar help in high school is Curriculum Assistance and the school won't provide that to him until he has a IEP or 504 plan in place (which we are currently working on).

My thought was that it would really benefit him to have an assigned staff member as a mentor that he could meet with on a regular basis to help keep him on track and plan for the future. From what I read about Academic Coaching, it sounds like it fits the bill, but again I'm wondering if it's really as good in practice as it sounds on paper.

I am also curious about the project-based learning. My son has trouble keeping on track in class and frequently zones out when he has to sit and listen to the teacher lecture or when he has to do assignments on his own. During third quarter he was missing 11 classroom assignments in Science and his teacher said she would frequently find his blank paper left on the table after class without a single word written on in. However, when they worked together interactively in pairs or groups, he did very well and always completed this work.

Thanks in advance for any additional feedback you can provide.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 AM

906 posts, read 2,071,107 times
We almost sent our son to SRHS but decided that the calendar wasn't right for us. Otherwise, we had no hesitation other than the distance. We are currently at E Millbrook Middle, which has similar demographics & have not experienced any issues so we weren't worried about SRHS from a crime perspective at all.

As for the cuts there, I think it is due to budget cuts that are affecting everybody. It's not part of a conspiracy to eliminate magnets. I think that the magnets were not as affected by budget cuts in the past, but things are pretty desperate right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or