U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 AM

11,812 posts, read 27,543,233 times

Advertisements

One of my clients is a teacher. Yesterday, I spoke with her about the new "choice" program within Wake County. She calls it "controlled choice". I said I thought it was more control than choice!

She agrees that scores aren't the only thing to check when looking at the schools. She suggested checking to see the teacher retention scores. She said that if the teachers are trying to get out of the school as fast as they can, that could mean that the school is having issues and/or the principal isn't getting the issues resolved.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 AM

906 posts, read 2,076,480 times
Vicki--your client is right on. It is absolutely a controlled choice model. It irritated me to hear Student Assignment give their spiel--"for the first time ever, parents get to choose where to send their children to school". Not exactly.

SRHS has a new principal, John Wall. He came from a Garner middle school where he was very successful. I like that he has high expectations for all of his students, no matter who they are or where they come from.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 21,885,385 times
Great to hear! We are considering applying there for high school in a few years as well!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 830 times
Default Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School

I am not sure of how many people are still reading this thread, but as a Bulldog Mom, I would like to throw my 2 cents in for what it is worth. I always knew that my kids would be going to our base high school. It was the football team they dreamed of playing for when they were little. Then, the open house came. We went to our base school, fully expecting for it to be a magical moment. It was not. We were crushed.It was a nightmare in fact. We went back during a typical school day to give it another shot, what we saw at Open House was repeated at that visit too. We went to the office to ask for the transfer papers immediately. Our boys dream school was not what we desired in regards to a high school.

Since we did not really research any other high schools, I was back at the drawing board looking for a school. SRMHS kept coming up as a good choice for our kids, but like the many posters on this board, I heard NOTHING good about this school - EVER. Then, we went for Open House. I was skeptical, downright negative and was looking for all of the negative things I had heard about this school. Well, our night was magical! The band mystified us, the students raving about New Tech/ PBL learning bowled us over, the energy from current parents attracted us and welcomed us in and the electricity in the air was amazing. BUT that was Open House - that is how it is supposed to be right? I went in, uninvited, often alone and sometimes with my kids in tow. You know what, the hype at Open House was real. It was authentic and I never had so many kids ask, "May I help you? Are you looking for something or someone specific? Do you have any questions? We love our school!"

Long story short, my kids go there. They are in sports, student govt, clubs, New Tech, Engineering, Digital Media, etc etc.. They are thriving, SAFE, happy, they LOVE their school .They are now ambassadors for the school and we are involved in many ways. Happily. My hubby and I wish we had a high school experience like SRMHS back in the day. Is it perfect? No. Are there fights? Yep. Are there disrespectful students? Yep, just like all the other high schools in Wake County. Never go off what you have heard. Come and visit. You will be happy you did!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:16 AM

8,269 posts, read 21,885,385 times
Thanks for the positive update. We're still considering leaving our Cary High assignment and trying for SE Raleigh for high school next year. Looking forward to going to the open house!

Old 12-10-2013, 12:00 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,498,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
my son will be attending southeast raleigh magnet high school next year. I chose this school for him because he has adhd and a minor learning disability and i thought that the project-based learning and academic coaching programs and the modified calendar would be a good fit for him. He is also great with computers and will most likely attend a computer-centric technical school (as opposed to college) after high school, so i figured a more technologically-based high school would also be a good fit.

When i mentioned this school to my neighbor, she said that she would not send her son there because it is not a 'safe' school. She said that the kids there are rough and there are a lot more fights and suspensions compared to our base school (cary hs).

Now she has me concerned that i've made a bad choice in choosing this school for my son. I am looking for some feedback from any who has first- (or even second-) hand experience with this school and could tell me how worried, if at all, i really need to be.

I'd also like to hear some feedback about the project-based learning and academic coaching and what i can expect from them.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School-southeast-raleigh-high.jpg

Old 07-15-2015, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 487 times
SoutheEast is a terrible school and I would not allow my child to go there. There is a lot of violence including the school being shut down due to a a fight between two races. If I worked in the board of education I would have this school shut down ASAP. Suicide has been committed to many times at this school even jocks which is a stereotype but still. So if you have other options choose anything but SouthEast. Enloe HS may be a not so good school either but compared to SouthEast its amazing so think about your options before you put your childs life at risk.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,293 times
For people that find this, read this, and are looking for recent information, I thought I would add my thoughts. My son will be a junior for the 16-17 school year. Like 13mom above, we were hesitant but when we went to the open house, then the tours, and even just popped in on regular school days, we were so impressed. This was the nicest group of kids I have met, always so polite and helpful too. Even the superintendent said Southeast has less problems than the other schools he is in charge of. My son has had a great experience. There have been a couple fights at the school but there were fights at Apex high when my other kids were there too. We have seen no gang stuff. My son has seen some kids with marijuana but again, that is at all schools. His teachers have been great, the electives are great, and the counselor helps us deal with his ADHD issues successfully. The bus is very normal, my daughter who is in middle school has been on the same bus the whole time since she was in sixth grade and my son was in ninth. No major issues, all very safe. We love the school and are very happy there. I get angry with people saying negative things about it when they did not have a child there. If you want to be say it is unsafe or bad, tell me your kid was a student at the school first and you pulled them out, not that you hear it is or a friend told you or you saw something negative once. Ninety percent or more of the people at the school love the school, the other ten percent might not have anything to compare it to either. We have had kids at Apex high and Raleigh Charter and I would pick Southeast for my son over those two schools any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or