U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-05-2012, 02:57 PM
 
15 posts, read 15,739 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Im a college senior at SUNY Cortland, near Syracuse NY, 21 years old. I recently have 2 job offers in different places and im not quite sure what is best for me. I really have always wanted to move to NC and I hear Raleigh is quite a good spot for college grads and that happens to be where I have a job lined up at BulkTV (8537 Six Forks Road #100 Raleigh, NC 27615). I love warm weather and don't have much family in NY im leaving behind, also NC job offers much more money then NY job!

Overall I just had a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer to make this tough decision easier on me;

How friendly is everyone? Is it easy to meet other 20-30 year olds(good population of that age)?

Is it a fun place to live overall? How is the night life? A good place to start a family? Is town down lively?


I would like a commute to be about 20-30 minutes AT MOST, love sports and the outdoors (beaches/ocean especially).

Mainly I just want a friendly, nice environment to keep me active, smiling and happy!

*This is very important because I will be moving within the next month and I really would like to hear everyones opinions on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2012, 04:03 PM
 
9,680 posts, read 23,511,594 times
Reputation: 4122
If this is commissioned sales, you really want to be sure it will provide enough to live.

Direct TV is being sold in numerous places including inside Walmart. Very competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 PM
 
15 posts, read 15,739 times
Reputation: 10
not commissioned sales, a marketing position..bulktv has been adding jobs and family that owns bulktv is close with hometown family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Creedmoor, NC
18 posts, read 28,340 times
Reputation: 14
I made a similar move about 13 years ago. I graduated from SUNY ESF (adjacent to Syracuse campus) and then moved to NC. It's a great place to live, imo. As long as you stay out of the rural areas it is still somewhat forward thinking. I'm not big on bars or whatever, but I met my wife soon after moving and we have two kids. The six forks (North Raleigh) area is a great location - hoping to move there if I sell my home in Creedmoor, NC.

Personally, I'd recommend coming down for a weekend and getting a feel for things, including apartments and such. There are lots of unique areas to live (from suburbs down revitalized downtowns) to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 04:55 PM
 
15 posts, read 15,739 times
Reputation: 10
yeah I have go for a couple of interviews in early may..I am looking forward to seeing the area and looking at all it has to offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM
 
Location: New England
935 posts, read 1,394,599 times
Reputation: 698
by forward thinking do you mean "liberal", as in people who watch MSNBC? If so I may need to rethink my move to NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matted View Post
I made a similar move about 13 years ago. I graduated from SUNY ESF (adjacent to Syracuse campus) and then moved to NC. It's a great place to live, imo. As long as you stay out of the rural areas it is still somewhat forward thinking. I'm not big on bars or whatever, but I met my wife soon after moving and we have two kids. The six forks (North Raleigh) area is a great location - hoping to move there if I sell my home in Creedmoor, NC.

Personally, I'd recommend coming down for a weekend and getting a feel for things, including apartments and such. There are lots of unique areas to live (from suburbs down revitalized downtowns) to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
452 posts, read 616,600 times
Reputation: 1109
Lots of friendly people !

Check apartments in the Triangle Town Center area. I think that would be an easy commute for you. Plenty of outdoor sports and things to do but the ocean is 2 - 3 hours away, but so are the mountains, so its a great location!

Definitely a great place to raise a family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 04:41 AM
 
3,744 posts, read 9,450,765 times
Reputation: 4154
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
by forward thinking do you mean "liberal", as in people who watch MSNBC? If so I may need to rethink my move to NC.
As opposed to FOX News? Ummm...yes! Maybe you should consider one of the smaller outlying towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 06:21 AM
 
9,680 posts, read 23,511,594 times
Reputation: 4122
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorinCary View Post
Lots of friendly people !

Check apartments in the Triangle Town Center area. I think that would be an easy commute for you. Plenty of outdoor sports and things to do but the ocean is 2 - 3 hours away, but so are the mountains, so its a great location!

Definitely a great place to raise a family!
I live in Northridge Crossings, very near Triangle and a nice choice with reasonable rent.

Check us out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2012, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Downtown Durham, NC
919 posts, read 2,028,114 times
Reputation: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
by forward thinking do you mean "liberal", as in people who watch MSNBC? If so I may need to rethink my move to NC.

Wake's pretty mixed in the whole liberal-vs-conservative thing, but Durham and Chapel Hill/Carrboro are some of the most liberal places in the South. We're both pretty damn proud of it, too. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top