U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 PM

14 posts, read 18,839 times

Advertisements

Hi city data friends

at first i would love to say a BIG THANK YOU to all from bottom of my heart, your guidance,advice and encouragement was a BIG DEAL of HELP to my family .

a small recap: we got to durham 3 weeks ago and BOY was i surprised,i didnt expect that much traffic but thats ok, i also didnt expect that much Food choices, stores etc WOW but most of all People and Weather AMAZING, however time to switch over to NC license plates - those YANKEE plates are way to obvious! lol

ok, we will be moving into our new home soon, we decided on the ENO area and are in love with it - WHY DID NO ONE WARN ME ABOUT THE SHEER AMOUNT OF COOKIE CUTTERS in the triangle area?

now i would need some help for the obvious things like:

a REAL GOOD dentist ?

a real good family doctor who is NOT AGAINST none traditional treatments? ( like acupuncture etc )

some great eateries,local stuff to go and do that is NOT in the Tourist magazines etc whatever you can think of would be great ....

Thanks so much, we are more than happy that we took the leap of faith,specially since we had our 1st ER visit and we got seen within 5 min, where in and out within 30 min. IMPRESSIVE !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 PM

4,598 posts, read 8,640,399 times
Quote:
specially since we had our 1st ER visit and we got seen within 5 min, where in and out within 30 min. IMPRESSIVE !!!
haha don't count on that happening every time. A couple months ago my husband had an asthma attack that sent him to the ER. First visit was in the wee hours of the morning and we were seen right away. He was sent home after treatment but had a relapse in the afternoon. Back to the ER we go around 5pm and it's PACKED. Took 45 minutes just to be admitted.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 PM

23 posts, read 78,044 times
Dr. Amy Gadol is now practicing in Durham. I saw her while she was a dentist at Meadowmont and she is fantastic! When she opened her own practice in Durham, I could no longer see her because I saw on my way home in Raleigh from UNC where I work. Just google Gadol Family Practice.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:55 AM

520 posts, read 853,626 times
I believe the Independent will be putting out its Best of the Triangle soon, so I would suggest grabbing a copy soon as you see it. They cover a lot of the things you asked about.

You may also want to think about signing up for Angies list or checking out Yelp for recommendations & reviews.

Make a stop by the visitor's center downtown. They actually have resources for people moving to the area as well as visitors. They were an amazingly valuable resource when we first moved here. And the staff is very friendly, knowlegable & happy to help.
Durham, NC - Official Visitors and Newcomers Information (http://www.durham-nc.com/ - broken link)

As for restaurants, don't rule out the places in the magazines.... they made it there for a reason. Even though listed in tourist books/magazines they are worth trying.
A few of our favorites in no particular order include Revolution, Dos Perros, Chamas, Mellow Mushroom, Tylers, Toast, Bocci, Cuban Revolution (not the same as plain Revolution), Mama Dips, Squids, Sparticus, Alvia's, Parker & Otis, Saffron and Daisy Cakes.

Check out the food tours available. That might be a good way for you to get an introduction to several restaurants in one afternoon. We've done the Durham one (Chapel Hill is up for us next month) and it was fun & we found a few new places we need to try.
Home

Check out the local food trucks. Will & Pops, Only Burger, Chirba Chirba, Kokuy (sp?), Farmhand Foods are a few of our favorites, but there are dozens of them in the area. Every so often there is a food truck rodeo at Durham's Central Park w/20 - 30 trucks which gives you a good opportunity to sample them all in one place.

And speaking of Central Park be sure to check out the Farmer's Market. They should be expanding to summer hours (Sat & Wed) here pretty soon.

Check out the Museum of Life & Science, Morehead Planetarium, Nasher Museum, Ackland Museum, NC Museum of Art, Duke Gardens and UNC Botanical Center.

We are also lucky to have numerous vineyards in the area like Vineyards at Southpoint, Chatam Hill, and Starlight Mead. They offer tours, samplings & lovely areas to sit, picnic and enjoy the sunny days.

And for shows we have DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center), Duke Univ. & UNC also have active theatre departments that have numerous shows. Usually very well done at a slightly cheaper price than DPAC. Over in Raleigh there is the Progress Energy Theatre. And of course the RBC Center, Carolina Theatre, Walnut Creek & Koka Booth.

Sports - you have the Durham Bulls, 'Canes & college basketball.

I'm sure I've probably forgotten/missed a whole bunch.

OK - sorry this is so long, but you asked...

Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,171,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstanja View Post
WHY DID NO ONE WARN ME ABOUT THE SHEER AMOUNT OF COOKIE CUTTERS in the triangle area?
I'm kind of surprised that that wouldn't be obvious to anyone considering any high growth suburban area in the U.S., including the Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary