U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 6,344 times

Advertisements

My son will be attending kindergarten at Polenta Elementary School in the fall. I had heard that it is a highly rated school, "among the few public schools in North Carolina to receive a distinguished GreatSchools Rating of 8 out of 10." I also checked the "Education First NC School Report Cards" and Polenta generally outperforms other elementary schools in the district and state (2010/2011). But when I read reviews from parents online, the reviews seem to be really mixed. Many people report good experiences, but there seem to be a lot of parents complaining about rude and disrespectful administration staff. But many of the reviews have been from years ago. I would love to hear from parents who have children currently enrolled, so I have a better idea what to expect. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,536,839 times
I was just scanning the boards, saw polenta, and got hungry! If they serve good polenta in the cafeteria, then go for it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:37 PM

4,598 posts, read 8,638,775 times
I have to laugh at the name too. I hope this school was named after a person otherwise what a strange choice!

Quote:
Many people report good experiences, but there seem to be a lot of parents complaining about rude and disrespectful administration staff.
I'd probably take those with a grain of salt. During my teaching days it seemed like 9 times out of 10 the parents who were the loudest about complaining about administration were the helicopter parents whose children were special snowflakes and no one else's children matter.

Last edited by evaofnc; 04-05-2012 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: s

Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,583,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
During my teaching days it seemed like 9 times out of 10 the parents who were the loudest about complaining about administration were the helicopter parents whose children were special snowflakes and no one else's children matter.
I have to say I find this very surprising. Maybe you taught at a school with a strong administration. But in my experience the parents who have complained the loudest about the administration are not helicopter parents but parents who believe in strong teacher autonomy and want to support the teachers from a heavy top down management style that is so often see in the world of test centric education models now. Personally I just want my kid's teacher to be given the leeway and support to do his/her job without administrators (or parents) telling him or her how to do it. This is all most of us want.

OP, sorry I don't know anything about Polenta Elementary. But I would recommend contacting the PTA at the school to see if you can get parent comments about what you have read online. Also, I recommend visiting the school to see what sort of vibe you got.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM

Usually the complaints our administrators would get would be along the lines of:

1) Why did the teacher fail my child in this class? You should let him pass anyway because of ________.
2) Why is my child being made to repeat a year? You should let him advance because of __________.
3) Why is my child being penalized for not turning in homework. You should supersede the teacher's syllabus because of __________.
4) Why does my child get in trouble for showing up to class late every day? He shouldn't be punished for oversleeping all the time.

You get the idea.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 PM

420 posts, read 965,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I have to laugh at the name too. I hope this school was named after a person otherwise what a strange choice!
The name is because it is close to Polenta Road. It's actually on Cleveland Rd, but there is already a Cleveland Elementary down the road.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:31 PM

789 posts, read 1,596,108 times
Both of my kids go to Polenta, currently in kindergarten and fourth grade. We've been very happy for the most part. The older one has had a few teachers that I didnt love, but has also had a few that were truly wonderful. I was originally upset when my one child ended up in one of the trailer classrooms for a year, but that was the year we had an amazing teacher and it ended up being one of the best years. I haven't had a lot of run-ins with the administration, but I'm fairly involved in my kids' education and don't have any complaints (I'm not a room mom or helicopter parent, but I did pull my older child out of kindergarten at our old school when I wasn't happy with the teacher or administration, so I'm also not entirely passive either). In a nut shell: Would I recommend Polenta to a close friend or family member? Yes.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 PM

When I was a kid I loved ending up in a trailer classroom. It was like our own little world and the teacher could control the thermostat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary