Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times

Advertisements

I'd just throw out that the points about "don't move to Cary" are valid, but based on all the info you provided, you still want to weigh things out.

As mentioned, the fun, the nightlife, the booze and "ladies" are going to be in DT Raleigh. (Stuff to do at night), but if you live in Cary, then you have immediate access to one of the best greenway systems in the Southeast (IMO), which gets you easy access to parks, outdoor activities, and even a short (less than 15 miles) bike ride into DT raleigh for daytime activities and festivals. The drive from my Cary Apartment is less than fifteen minutes to Glennwood South, Cameron Village, or Moore Square, so it's not bad to get out at night.

The trade-off is that I'm not a huge drinker, so I don't need to worry about how to get home at night. I'm sure it's a semi-cheap cab-ride if I ever needed it.

My point is that only you can decide which location is best. Raleigh has the nightime, social fun, Cary has the "active lifestyle" fun. There are also a plethora of fun pubs, bars, local restaurants, and ethnic cuisine in Cary. I venture to say that Cary has the best ethnic diversity in food for the area, if that appeals to you. (Durham is arguably better, but not really an option for where you will be working.)

Just trying to play devils advocate now, while you still have a choice, and get as much info as possible out there.

Whatever you decide, this region is awesome. In addition to everything already discussed, you are:
-2 hours from the beach
-3-5 hours from beautiful mountains
-4-5 hours from DC
-5-6 hours from Atlanta
-2-3 hours from Charlotte
etc
etc
etc.

There is so much to do within a day's drive here, you will never get bored unless you want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,020 times
I partially agree with rory and jeff... do NOT move to Cary, or at least do not buy a home there!

I lived there for about 18 years and hated it. You will be the only one your age; there is no "young crowd". I laughed when you said "downtown" because there really is no downtown to speak of. Cary is culture-less and the last place a young single person would want to be. There are few opportunities for the sorts of recreational activities you mentioned. Sterile is an understatement- it's just a sea of parking lots and strip malls!

I would recommend living in downtown Raleigh or just temporarily renting a place in Cary until you can relocate to Raleigh, Durham, or the Chapel Hill area (if you decide to stay in NC).

Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng85 View Post
Outside of work I'm pretty active... Run/bike/hunt/fish/snowboard/sports/etc.
Well, you can leave that snowboard behind, for one thing!

Quote:
the I-40/440 circle
FYI, this is known locally as "The Beltline".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary