U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:01 PM

919 posts, read 2,023,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Plastic can cause condensation to build up and damage the plants anyway. You're better off using something like cardboard boxes. I'm debating whether to cover up my plants or just leave it to fate and see if they survive lol.

I'm hoping for the best. We have a bunch of tomatoes and peppers that have been in the ground for four weeks now. The last frost we had was on March 6, and I felt like we were pressing our luck, but we'll see how it goes. The tomatoes are all about 18" tall now and looking pretty beefy, so I'll hope for the best. In years past, I've had tomatoes produced past last frost and harvested the last batches on Thanksgiving. I'm hoping these guys are in good enough shape to last the few hours of cold we get tomorrow night (although looking now it seems like Durham will approach freezing but not quite get there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 PM

25 posts, read 28,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I'm hoping for the best. We have a bunch of tomatoes and peppers that have been in the ground for four weeks now. The last frost we had was on March 6, and I felt like we were pressing our luck, but we'll see how it goes. The tomatoes are all about 18" tall now and looking pretty beefy, so I'll hope for the best. In years past, I've had tomatoes produced past last frost and harvested the last batches on Thanksgiving. I'm hoping these guys are in good enough shape to last the few hours of cold we get tomorrow night (although looking now it seems like Durham will approach freezing but not quite get there).
All my pots are in the garage and the veggies are covered. We shall see how it goes. Please let me know how you make out because if you do alright then I may not leave things covered tomorrow night.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:34 PM

4,598 posts, read 8,632,668 times
I decided to cover my seedlings with some pine straw tents. Hopefully that will give them enough protection. Feeling much too lazy to break out the row covers.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM

8,263 posts, read 21,803,020 times
Well, the good news is that if you do loose anything to the frost, it's plenty early to get started again without loosing any growing time.
My neighbor in Raleigh growing up was a master Gardner with the Extension agency and he still says that planting before mid April doesn't result in a higher yield than waiting until mid April.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwick View Post
All my pots are in the garage and the veggies are covered. We shall see how it goes. Please let me know how you make out because if you do alright then I may not leave things covered tomorrow night.

The tomatoes looked great this morning. I didn't peak at the peppers as I was in a rush, but I'll take a look at them when I get home.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The tomatoes looked great this morning. I didn't peak at the peppers as I was in a rush, but I'll take a look at them when I get home.
You may laugh when you read this. Yesterday morning I went out to remove the plastic from the veggies. It was cold, but no frost and my fountain was running. This was at 7:00am. I went out back and removed everything. I came right back to the front to get in the car to leave and I noticed my fountain stopped. It froze up. There was ice in the fountain. I had to clear that and shut it off. I started to drive away and noticed frost started to show on the lawn. It wasn't there 20 minutes ago. When I got home I found one half of one tomato plant got nipped by the frost. Everything else seems to have survived. I will have to see how everything looks when it starts warming up.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwick View Post
You may laugh when you read this. Yesterday morning I went out to remove the plastic from the veggies. It was cold, but no frost and my fountain was running. This was at 7:00am. I went out back and removed everything. I came right back to the front to get in the car to leave and I noticed my fountain stopped. It froze up. There was ice in the fountain. I had to clear that and shut it off. I started to drive away and noticed frost started to show on the lawn. It wasn't there 20 minutes ago. When I got home I found one half of one tomato plant got nipped by the frost. Everything else seems to have survived. I will have to see how everything looks when it starts warming up.

Were you able to trim back the stricken 'mato? It should be fine, we've had to chop 80% of a few plants off in mid-May last year after we got some early blight. Ughh. We still got plenty of tomatoes, though, they were just 2 weeks later than everyone else.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Oops, I never followed up, but even some 2-week old heirloom transplants we pulled out a week ago look great. And, hopefully we've seen the last frost until Halloween.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Were you able to trim back the stricken 'mato? It should be fine, we've had to chop 80% of a few plants off in mid-May last year after we got some early blight. Ughh. We still got plenty of tomatoes, though, they were just 2 weeks later than everyone else.
Yes. The one nipped plant had two different stalks coming up. One died and one seems okay for now.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 PM

I ended up losing two tomato plants. A third may make it. I hope that was the last frost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary