U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,150,823 times

Advertisements

Could have been predicted...the release of the Hunger Games has spurred interest in women's archery and my girls want to try it out.

Is there a range somewhere in the Triangle?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 AM

285 posts, read 620,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Could have been predicted...the release of the Hunger Games has spurred interest in women's archery and my girls want to try it out.

Yes. Lifetime Archery

My wife has been going here for years. They have a Tues. night ladies archery class. John, the coach, also coaches many kids.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,583,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post

My 12 year old son just got his very first bow. He's excited. But his is less to do with Hunger Games and more to do with picking up the archery bug through Boy Scouts.

Durham County Wildlife Club
Check out Durham County Wildlife Club if they decide they want to proceed past lessons. Also, if they are Girl Scouts and are 4th grade and above, Girl Scout camps offer archery. My dd is so excited that she is finally be old enough to do archery at GS Camp!

Mays the odds be ever in your favor! Sorry couldn't resist.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,816,935 times
My daughter does it through through girl scouts!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM

1,969 posts, read 2,971,716 times
God forbid people ever had to decide on hobbies because they showed genuine interest in them instead of "seeing them in a movie."

Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 PM

31,622 posts, read 55,349,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
God forbid people ever had to decide on hobbies because they showed genuine interest in them instead of "seeing them in a movie."
Archery predates movies by a few months. Or maybe it is several centuries. I lose track.

Why does the source of inspiration matter? Who is to say the interest is not genuine?
At least the kids aren't just playing archery video games behind drawn curtains in this beautiful spring weather.

All that said, when the exploding shafts come out, I'm heading for the pool hall...

Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,816,935 times
Who cares what inspires an interest in a young person?
She may have never been exposed to it if she hadn't seen the movie, now she wants to try it to see if she likes it.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,050,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Who cares what inspires an interest in a young person?
She may have never been exposed to it if she hadn't seen the movie, now she wants to try it to see if she likes it.
Exactly. What about all those young girls (or boys even) who read something like Misty of Chincoteague or Black Beauty and became interested in horseback riding? Or someone who reads Silent Spring and decides to become involved with the environmentalism movement? It's the same thing in my book (lol).

Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 AM

1,336 posts, read 2,696,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Exactly. What about all those young girls (or boys even) who read something like Misty of Chincoteague or Black Beauty and became interested in horseback riding? Or someone who reads Silent Spring and decides to become involved with the environmentalism movement? It's the same thing in my book (lol).
Oh man, I'm in TROUBLE! I just read LIFE (Keith Richards Autobiography)

All jokes aside, I agree with the others, it's cool that kids get inspired to "do something". In this day and age, I'll be thankful for "whatever it takes".

Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,583,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Who said they were inspired by the movie. If they are like most pre-teen and teen girls (and many boys too) I know they have read the whole series of books. The movie was just the icing on the cake for them.

But even if they are inspired by the movie how is this different than being inspired by the Olympics. Enrollment in girls gymnastics and ice skating always surges after the Olympics.

Archery is not an easy thing to pick up quickly. I imagine there will be a surge in interest. Some kids will stick to it and some will find other things that interest them more. Hopefully in 5 years we'll see a surge in Archery competitors on the Olympic Level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary