U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:01 PM

61 posts, read 116,648 times

Advertisements

Check out the 'Lake Royale' area/developments in Louisburg. ... but, a bit far out from Raleigh.
BTW, I'm from Boston originally ... we love it here (bought a home in Wendell).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM

919 posts, read 2,035,853 times
If you don't mind commuting an hour to RTP, you can look at Hyco Lake. Or, you can look into a weekend home there, if you're able to.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 717 times
Default Welcome...

We moved from Groton,MA to Raleigh four years ago. There are many lakes of varying sizes,but they don't look like the lakes in New England.
The lakes here aren't as clear or blue.There is no snow runoff here.
That said,I couldn't be happier here. The sky is a gorgeous blue,the weather is wonderful and I still love to swim in the local lakes.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 AM

982 posts, read 2,153,353 times
The lakes here are not clear blue like up in the Northeast. Lake Royale (someone mentioned here) is a man-made lake, and has had some problems if I remember correctly.

When I drove across the bridge of Falls Lake for the first time, it was an enormous disappointment as compared to Lakes in the Northeast because the water was not clear, and was filled with mud and muck. It wasn't pretty like the crystal clear blue lakes of New England.

The most beautiful lakes in this country are in the North. Kerr Lake isn't too bad, but it's quite a drive.

Good luck to you.
Toodie

Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM

11,566 posts, read 17,992,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
I know this is a bit off topic, but to clarify, this is not true for all of central NC. There are TONS of lake front properties on Lake Norman and Lake Wylie (outside of Charlotte). This is also true for many other large lakes in NC (ie, Lure, Toxaway, Gaston, etc.) But IMHO the reason that I love the lakes around here is that there are no lake-front homes. It makes for a much more natural view
Not sure about Wylie but Lake Norman is a reservoir like the two aforementioned lakes in the Triangle.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,785 times
Thanks! Finding out that lakefront/waterfront/waterview may just be a view of a pond - but one you can kayak/canoe - just so hard to give up a lake right in our backyard - have a great dock and was saving up for a pontoon - tough decision

Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,785 times
Thanks to all who responded - yeah - not going to find what we have here - but just came back today from a long weekend in the Cary area - really liked it - may have to give up the lakefront/view for a nicer, larger home -

Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 PM

1,533 posts, read 5,033,606 times
Glad you liked it here. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary