U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:23 PM

129 posts, read 613,225 times

Advertisements

I am redoing my front mulch bed (clearing out all weeds, creeping grass, existing plants, etc).

Here are pictures of current progress:

http://www.brinkleys.org/users/tsl/Files/bed1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.brinkleys.org/users/tsl/Files/bed2.jpg (broken link)

http://www.brinkleys.org/users/tsl/Files/bed3.jpg (broken link)

I am going to clear out the dirt (remove old roots, weeds, etc) and then will add fertilizer and then till up the soil. I then plan to lay a cloth weed barrier over this to prevent this area from once again being overtaken by weeds. To keep the zoysia grass from creeping in here again I plant to put in 6 inch deep plastic edging between where grass ends and mulch bed begins. Then I will install new plants and re-mulch this bed.

So my question is what sort of plants should I plant in this shallow area? Want something whimsical (e.g. not too dense). Something that won't die during the winter/colder months and won't really bloom with tons of flowers (don't want to be overtaken by bees). Also something that doesn't grow super crazy since I don't want to have to trim it every month or too. Hopefully there is some sort of shrub/plant that meets these requirements :-).

So how many of these plants should I put in? 3 or 4 or more?

Thanks in advance everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 PM

306 posts, read 621,086 times
What plants were in the bed before that you didn't care for?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,255,477 times
By something that won't die, do you mean you mean literally that or that you want something evergreen-ish?

Personally, I would just skip the landscape fabric and just mulch the area. It is small enough that it shouldn't be that hard to keep it weed-free with a good layer of mulch.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM

129 posts, read 613,225 times
Mean that I would rather it not become branches during cold months. Have some sort of vegetation on it. The previous plants were some sort of bushes that used to be near my AC unit in the shade. Don't think they were meant for direct sunlight....grew WAY too fast and tall. Want something lower, not as thick, etc. so when I sit on the porch people can see me and I can see them.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 PM

4,598 posts, read 8,673,706 times
An easy solution would be something like holly or boxwood. Personally I think they're ugly but they're evergreen and easy to keep trimmed to a low height. Another option would be Illicium parviflorum, a type of native anise tree. Technically, like all shrubs, it flowers but they're insignificant and like any shrub keeping it regularly trimmed will prevent it from flowering altogether. It's a native plant so does well in our soil, pretty drought resistant, and evergreen. A shrub-like evergreen plant that doesn't get much higher than five feet is plum yew (but make sure it's a compact or dwarf variety). Or you could skip the shrubs altogether and do some native ornamental grasses like yucca in the back of the bed with some interesting groundcovers like sedum or creeping mint in the front.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 PM

932 posts, read 2,740,882 times
If you want to go with shrubs, try Gardenia-they're evergreen and flower. There are some varieties with really pretty blooms. Monkey Grass does really well at my house. Also, you could plant some bulbs in the fall. It doesn't take many to make it look nice. Just put bone meal down when you plant them and you really don't have to worry about them. I have 500+ tulips and about 100 daffodils in my front yard and don't have a problem with bees. You obviously don't have to have that many, a few look nice.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,847,941 times
Well, my first choices all have flowers.. but maybe a privet of some sort, or nandina?

I have Swift Creek Privets and Fire Power Nandina in front of my house (mixed in among Knock Out Roses, a Butterfly bush and some other things).

I like this website for ideas:

Trees2Go

Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 PM

18 posts, read 28,408 times
How much sunlight does it get? My front bed gets morning sun but generally shaded most of the afternoon. Gives me a bit more freedom!

Sounds like you want something evergreen. I'd go for the dark green to set off the nice brickwork in the backdrop. I'd go with something you can make a hedge out of. Someone else mentioned privet - that's the first thing that comes to my mind.

Also, just off to the side I'd plant a tea olive (osmanthus). I planted one by my front door and in early spring and late fall it gets white inconspicuous flowers but the wonderful smell fills the entire front yard.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,739,408 times
Lantana would be a nice perennial for the front or middle front. Really lasts in the NC heat. I believe it dies back to the ground every winter as well. No muss no fuss.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,891,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vthok View Post
Mean that I would rather it not become branches during cold months. Have some sort of vegetation on it. The previous plants were some sort of bushes that used to be near my AC unit in the shade. Don't think they were meant for direct sunlight....grew WAY too fast and tall. Want something lower, not as thick, etc. so when I sit on the porch people can see me and I can see them.
You might find some ideas in this video I did when a guest speaker at a Brentwood Garden Club meeting discussed plants and bushes that look great in winter:

WINTER GARDENING - Brentwood Garden Club, Raleigh, North Car - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary