Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 AM

22,649 posts, read 36,640,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
New listings in February:

Year new listings YTD
2010 4290 8417
2011 3587 6826
2012 3182 6330

Wow, that's a big drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 19 days ago)

43,165 posts, read 76,782,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wow, that's a big drop.
In addition, it is interesting to execute an MLS search and pull up 100+ homes, and then see a cluster of homes at up to 50 Days On Market, and another cluster at 200+ DOM, and scattered results between those two.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 AM

9,134 posts, read 14,709,628 times
I wish this would trickle over to my neighborhood, where the two idiots that bought the $315,000 2500 sf house next to me for no money down in 2006 as a rental investment and then proceeded to rent it to scumbag after scumbag, most of which left owing thousands in back rent in the middle of the night have finally had enough and kept it on the market for 6 months and still have not sold even though it is well cheaper than any recent sales in the neighborhood. According to what one of them told me they are facing having to come up with $20k each to get out at the price they are asking.

It did need a fair amount of work before and instead of doing it up front they waited till they had a buyer and then had to do all the work anyway after agreeing to sell for less money than they should have. Of course that buyer fell through and they are below that price.

I told the guy from the beginning they would be better off sitting on it and fixing the things that were broken first and waiting until the spring, but nope, they just had to put it on the market at the end of October with carpet replacent and drywall parching/painting still in the works and pieces of siding missing like the idiots they are. Then of course they wait till the weeds are 3 feet high before mowing and people either drive by or assume they can get a super low offer accepted. Their realtor is not really doing them (or me) any favors IMO. I've honestly thought about getting a bunch of the neighbors to try to form an LLC to just buy and hold the thing for a year till things get better. It's not like this is an undesirable area.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,135,837 times
Yuck, we have a house like that in our neighborhood. I don't know the full story on it but the public records show the owners live in Virginia, it has sat empty FOREVER, the lawn and landscaping are all overgrown and awful looking, and there's building supplies just sitting in the driveway. A neighbor told us it used to be a rental but no one has lived in it awhile. Last week they pulled out the overgrown bushes in front of the house, but now instead of overgrown bushes you get to see rotting siding. Lovely. I like to think they're getting ready to sell but there's been no activity on the house since the bush pulling escapade so who the hell knows what they're doing.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,415,323 times
I think many areas across the US are seeing a low inventory of houses. Im a broker in Metro Detroit (soon to be Raleigh) and most homes that come on the market here are going to multiple offers within the first week of being listed. Even the tri level and bi level homes that would have had a hard time selling a few years ago are selling above list price. There are a lot of buyers and not enough properties on the market.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,612,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Yuck, we have a house like that in our neighborhood. I don't know the full story on it but the public records show the owners live in Virginia, it has sat empty FOREVER, the lawn and landscaping are all overgrown and awful looking, and there's building supplies just sitting in the driveway. A neighbor told us it used to be a rental but no one has lived in it awhile. Last week they pulled out the overgrown bushes in front of the house, but now instead of overgrown bushes you get to see rotting siding. Lovely. I like to think they're getting ready to sell but there's been no activity on the house since the bush pulling escapade so who the hell knows what they're doing.
call your local real estate investors. They'll find out if the owner will sell, rehab the house and sell it to someone who would take better care of it

Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,155,380 times
I wouldn't want to try to sell my home right now, BUT...my friend just sold his in 3 days. We watch real estate in our general area, and many of the better deals get snatched up very quickly. The ones that seem drastically overpriced, sit.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM

525 posts, read 1,296,140 times
Wish this was happening in my neighborhood in N. Raleigh too. Based on similar home sales, I think I've lost around 5-8% of the value compared to what we paid in 2009. Maybe things are starting to turn though.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM

71 posts, read 148,329 times
It's sure happening in the established/older neighborhoods in off Highhouse between 55 and the Davis Dr. area. I have been watching the sales in Cary for several months, and with a few exceptions, houses in the $300-$450 range in that particular area seem to be selling incredibly quickly. Not sure how the prices compare to 2009 though...

Old 04-11-2012, 03:08 PM

43 posts, read 80,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Why would you expect the market to be better for a buyer here?

People are largely flocking TO the Triangle, not running away.

There is huge competition in lower price brackets for houses in good areas.
Where I am coming from, the real estate market is pretty much dead. While I expected the Triangle to have a stronger market, I didn't think it would be this STRONG.

I have seen houses with serious structural problems nonetheless go under contract days after we've viewed them. MikeJaquish is right - small supply, high demand = what I'm experiencing. It still astounds me to see some houses that are quite frankly garbage in not so great areas go within the first ten days of listing and at almost listing price.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary