U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,993,454 times

Advertisements

I think the new system is working well. I really liked have multiple choices for this school year and took full of advantage of it.

I'm sure it is a nightmare for realtors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,325,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
...Its the "tracking" system that is horrible...if you have more than 1 child on different tracks its a nightmare.
That is incredibly rare- all your kids go on one track, even if it is not your track of choice, it is one track.
If you have preschooler or a high schooler on traditional, then, yes, you have two schedules with which to contend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
Also, not going to the school closest to your house is also ridiculous to me.
Well, here is where we get into the hallmark of WCPSS- trying to create equivalent access to students despite their socioeconomic background.

I think it is a worthy goal, and it certainly attracted us to Wake County. Of course, the devil is in the details, and seeing how this goal has been implemented by the different boards has been interesting to say the least.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 990 times
I'm in the early process of relocating to RTP from the midwest and am interested in some of the better high schools within a 20 min commute of RTP. With this lottery system in place, what should I expect if I don't get a residence locked down until July?

Starting to worry about my options as I have a gifted daughter that I'd like to get into a good curriculum. Also, what's the deal with the magnets? Are there really any advantages besides managing the over crowding?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 PM

8 posts, read 6,550 times
Thumbs up Painless

We are moving to triangle next month from Massachusetts. We visited last month, found an apartment and signed a lease and registered our daughter for school. We went through the ranking process, and got the first school of our choice. It was pretty easy and not bad at all. Only thing we couldn't do was we were not able to pick the track (we picked a multi-track school). We were told that preference will be given to existing students and newcomers will be allocated on a first come first serve basis based on availability. But we will be given a chance to transfer tracks next year. Makes sense.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 AM

37 posts, read 67,870 times
We got into our 2nd choice school, which sounds better than it feels. Our 1st choice is literally across the street & visible from a window in our new home. A 1 minute walk. Our 2nd choice involves a bus ride & a different neighborhood. Both are good schools in nice areas.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:51 PM

374 posts, read 1,439,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnc View Post
We are moving to triangle next month from Massachusetts. We visited last month, found an apartment and signed a lease and registered our daughter for school. We went through the ranking process, and got the first school of our choice. It was pretty easy and not bad at all. Only thing we couldn't do was we were not able to pick the track (we picked a multi-track school). We were told that preference will be given to existing students and newcomers will be allocated on a first come first serve basis based on availability. But we will be given a chance to transfer tracks next year. Makes sense.
just curious...what school did you pick?

Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 PM

8 posts, read 6,550 times
Morrisville Elementary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary