Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:37 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times

Advertisements

In Soviet Wake County, you don't choose schools, schools choose you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,538 times
well wer used to be in WCPSS and moved 2 years ago to private, with the hope of moving back during the Middle School years. We have a great Middle School in our development (supposedly built for the development) and guess what? Its full, no seats. we cant get in!!!

even stranger....5 people from our private school applied to that middle school and the only one that got in is a family that lives 5 miles FURTHER than the rest of us. Something is fishy for sure!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM

37 posts, read 82,337 times
Sent an email with that very question a couple of days ago. Here's what I received:

In other words--it's a leap of faith to move into WCPSS next year.

Hi,
There are no base schools for the 2012-13 school year. You will apply for a school assignment for your child for next year based on your address once you move to Raleigh. Once you have moved and established your address you will follow the instructions that will be posted on the Wake County Public School System website for the process to follow to get your child's school assignment for next year.

Thanks,

Carrie B. Keel
Senior Administrator
Student Assignment Office
5625 Dillard Drive
Cary, NC 27518
919-431-7274

Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 PM

57 posts, read 108,592 times
I really didn't think a school board could possibly screw up as bad as the New Orleans Public School System Board Members (pre-Katrina, thankfully it has improved), but it is very disturbing that these Board Members in Wake County managed to convince so many people to vote for them. Just when you think you are moving to a better place, you find yourself with children living across the street from a school and one will not be attending. How is proximity (walking distance) and siblings in Middle School, not enough to warrant the younger child put on the same schedule?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 PM

i dont blame the school bd entirely. there was so much "ouside pressure" from various factions that once they started trying to appease everyone, the appeased no one. my opinion.
why couldnt it just have been eas...go the the school closest to your house unless you choose to attend a magnet.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:54 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfamilyof4 View Post
i dont blame the school bd entirely. there was so much "ouside pressure" from various factions that once they started trying to appease everyone, the appeased no one. my opinion.
why couldnt it just have been eas...go the the school closest to your house unless you choose to attend a magnet.
Because there's too many kids and not enough schools. If you followed that guideline, you'd have some schools literally stuffed like sardines. That has been an issue in this area since the 70s.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Because there's too many kids and not enough schools. If you followed that guideline, you'd have some schools literally stuffed like sardines. That has been an issue in this area since the 70s.
yep need more classrooms, for sure!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Might be an ignorant question but... why would they approve building a school in an area that needs students from other areas to fill it up? Wouldn't it make more sense to build more schools in areas that need it? it's probably a lot more complicated than this, but that's what I'm seeing.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM

189 posts, read 507,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Might be an ignorant question but... why would they approve building a school in an area that needs students from other areas to fill it up? Wouldn't it make more sense to build more schools in areas that need it? it's probably a lot more complicated than this, but that's what I'm seeing.
This is not the case. They are building schools in the newer areas but lagging behind the housing development and also there is no way to really plan the number of people moving into this area. Some years ago, Cary used to have a ban on new housing for this reason.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM

98 posts, read 216,127 times
I emailed the school board about entering 1st grade, as we cannot move to Wake County until late July or early August. Here is the response I just received:

Good Morning: We have a walk-in process in place until the end of May, then the Task Force will give us directions as how we will accommodate parents after that. I have enclosed the process below for what is in place now. When we have additional information it will be on our website. Thank you

April 13 – May 1
Families can continue to pre-enroll at any school for the grade of the student. Families can also pre-enroll at the Office of Student Assignment or the Center for International Enrollment, both located at Cary Crossroads I.
No school assignments will be made during this time period. Staff will be working to complete the school assignments for Choice Round 2, giving parents final notification April 26.
Families who pre-enroll during this time period will be given their student’s NCWISE number AND information on how to rank their choice selections using an online Choice Selection Site that will begin May 1.
May 1 – June 30
On May 1, 2012, the online Choice Selection Site will be activated. Families who are newly enrolled, had a change of address, or pre-registered after April 13 can begin submitting their school choice rankings. They will be asked to rank ALL of the proximity choices for their address AND can rank the magnet choices for their address. Students in regional Special Education programs in grades KI, 01, and 02, will have separate choices for their address based on the program that meets the requirements of their IEP. If a parent ranks magnet choices and proximity choices, the magnet choices will be considered first.
The online Choice Selection submissions will be processed daily. They will be processed in the order they were submitted, date and time-stamped. Families will receive their school assignments within 2 business days of submission. School assignments will be loaded into OASIS and back into the Choice Selection Site. Parents can return to the Choice Selection Site to view their school assignment. Parents will also be sent written notification.
After June 30 – more information to come

I asked again specifically about moving later in the summer and this is the response:

Good Morning: There will be a walk-in process in place and I just do not know the steps as of yet. I know you will enroll your child(ren) and make a selection of the proximity schools at that time.

So, I assume you just get whatever is left. I put in a couple of addresses in the neighborhoods that interest us, and there are some very good schools, and some pretty undesirable schools on the same proximity list. Hmmm.

Last edited by dimitri1000; 04-20-2012 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: formating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary