U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM

96 posts, read 179,471 times

Advertisements

I posted a few days ago freaking out because I had a job interview in NC lined up and am overwhelmed by the Wake county school system. Well, the job interview went pretty well and I think we may want to make the move down there from the northeast. We are originally from NC and have a lot of family there, so that is why we've been looking.

I do not know too much about the Raleigh area, but I think we'd like ITB area Budleigh, Cameron Park, etc), which would also be extremely convenient for my job. My questions -

1. I see North Raleigh mentioned on this forum a bit - where is that exactly? Our home budget is probably up to about $700k, but we certainly don't need to spend that much (we like a nice safe neighborhood, but are not looking for a Mcmansion).

2. Are there any community pools - swim/tennis clubs ITB?

3. We need a good elementary school - looking for a school with minimal behavioral issues, with a flexible or possible accelerated curriculum for our daughter who will be in 1st grade. We'd love a foreign language class early on. Does anyone on here have experience with Lacy or Olds elementary, or the magnet schools in the area? I am still trying to reach the school board, but I feel like our best bet initially if we move in August is to rent something that guarantees us admission to the school by proximity and go from there. I am thinking getting into a good magnet program is probably out for this upcoming year, and we are hoping to avoid private schools at this point.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 PM
rfb

1,843 posts, read 5,013,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri1000 View Post
1. I see North Raleigh mentioned on this forum a bit - where is that exactly? Our home budget is probably up to about $700k, but we certainly don't need to spend that much (we like a nice safe neighborhood, but are not looking for a Mcmansion).
North Raleigh covers a large swath of Raleigh. Many view it as bordered by US-70 on the West, Capital Blvd on the East, and north of I-440. Others may move the lower border up to Millbrook or Spring Forest, or narrow the East/West boundaries a bit. Regardless, this is a very diverse area in terms of price, age and architecture.

The cost of a home depends on many factors (location, sq. ft, lot size, custom built vs. tract built, age and condition). You can spend a lot less than $700K as well as a lot more - it depends on what you are looking for in a home.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:35 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,643,305 times
Have you looked at Wiley Elementary? Granted it's a magnet so you'd have to be able to get into it but they have a wonderful foreign languages program.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 AM

11,546 posts, read 17,908,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Have you looked at Wiley Elementary? Granted it's a magnet so you'd have to be able to get into it but they have a wonderful foreign languages program.
Can't a child also attend a magnet school simply by living in its zone? Wiley abuts Cameron Park.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,643,305 times
That's the way it used to work. No idea now with the choice plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary