U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,740,673 times

Advertisements

Great! I'll have to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:07 AM

358 posts, read 458,516 times
I can't wait to try it. Do they have trivia nights or the trivia games?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 AM

15,828 posts, read 24,179,739 times
Menu looks a bit overpriced but we are going to try it this week - we, too, are happy to have something local and not just empty space there so we'll support them. The guy who owns it also owns the Dunkin Donuts there so he is single handedly trying to keep that shopping center afloat, LOL.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:22 AM

71 posts, read 132,364 times
The sandwiches are pretty large and come with a side and the "side salads" are huge (the salad is close to an entree size by itself), so I think the prices reflect that. I have not tried the burgers or other entrees yet. The pricing looked similar to/maybe a tad lower than Tribeca which I go to pretty regularly so I did not have an issue with the prices. Maybe they will add a smaller portion option (half sandwich etc) at a reduced price. The appetizers seemed well priced and the one we all shared probably could have been a meal for one person. I am sure they will tweak along the way as they get input since small local businesses tend to be pretty responsive to their customer base.
Nice cozy atmosphere and I am happy to have a place like this in Western Cary away from the DD/highouse intersection. It is always so crowded around that intersection and when that apartment/townhouse complex starts going up in the Fall on that DD/HH corner it is going to get really crazy around there!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 AM

441 posts, read 785,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Menu looks a bit overpriced but we are going to try it this week - we, too, are happy to have something local and not just empty space there so we'll support them. The guy who owns it also owns the Dunkin Donuts there so he is single handedly trying to keep that shopping center afloat, LOL.

THAT'S where I recognized him from! It's been driving me crazy!!!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRdu View Post
The sandwiches are pretty large and come with a side and the "side salads" are huge (the salad is close to an entree size by itself), so I think the prices reflect that. I have not tried the burgers or other entrees yet. The pricing looked similar to/maybe a tad lower than Tribeca which I go to pretty regularly so I did not have an issue with the prices. Maybe they will add a smaller portion option (half sandwich etc) at a reduced price. The appetizers seemed well priced and the one we all shared probably could have been a meal for one person. I am sure they will tweak along the way as they get input since small local businesses tend to be pretty responsive to their customer base.
Nice cozy atmosphere and I am happy to have a place like this in Western Cary away from the DD/highouse intersection. It is always so crowded around that intersection and when that apartment/townhouse complex starts going up in the Fall on that DD/HH corner it is going to get really crazy around there!
I think some of the prices though are a bit deceptive - like just a straight burger isn't terrible pricewise, but if you change it to salmon or tuna, you're adding 4 bucks to the cost. Understandable for fish vs beef, but it ends up more than Tribeca.

I don't know where the food is from, but I like the fact that when we go to Tribeca for example, the majority of the ingredients comes from within the state.

Plus I'm biased against a place that uses american cheese on their cheesesteak!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:13 PM

71 posts, read 132,364 times
Have you tried the cheesesteak yet? My dinner companion had one, and as a former NYer he was skeptical of the idea of it being served with queso cheese. He almost asked to sub for provolone, but he gave it a shot and really liked it. I tried a bite of it, and it was quite good. The quality of the meat was especially good. They did mention the cheese was from nearby but I can't remember where- maybe Virginia?

I have to admit that for me a large part of the dining experience is the atmosphere, and this place really has a great vibe.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRdu View Post
Have you tried the cheesesteak yet? My dinner companion had one, and as a former NYer he was skeptical of the idea of it being served with queso cheese. He almost asked to sub for provolone, but he gave it a shot and really liked it. I tried a bite of it, and it was quite good. The quality of the meat was especially good. They did mention the cheese was from nearby but I can't remember where- maybe Virginia?

I have to admit that for me a large part of the dining experience is the atmosphere, and this place really has a great vibe.
Oh I'm sure it's delicious, but I hate american cheese, so yeah, I'd have to hope they'd let me sub for provolone.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,051 times
Just had my second meal at WPT Monday night, I wanted to give them a couple weeks to break everything in after the first trip. After two visits this is what I've found. The decor is top notch. The wait staff is very spotty. I asked the waitress for recommendations and she actually recommended something and followed it up with I think it's great but a lot of people don't like it. So I applaud her honesty but it wasn't very helpful. Both times the initial service was great. Prompt drink taking, servering, and order taking, the food came out quickly, but then we never saw our server until we were almost finished. The second time when our food was being served we said we would be needing another round in a couple minutes to try and tip her off, and again MIA until we were almost finished. Both times we had some standout items both good and bad. The french fries and onion rings are some of the worst we've ever had. The fries were way over cooked sopping with grease. The onion rings were 100% devoid of flavor, even the onion was flavorless. I had a seared ahi tuna wrap, It was great. My wife had the burger way over charred and so dry you could only chew it with a drink. Second time we had the chicken tender trio, fries were just as bad but the tenders are good, the sauces were great. I had the special, a pineapple, sausage, and chicken sandwich. I normally never order the special, unless it's a recurring special, for several reasons. The sausage was way over charred and so dry, it like the burger, was almost inedible. The chicken was way overcooked but not leather dry, it was however one of the blandest pieces of chicken I ever had. The pineapple was grilled to perfection. Again the sauce that came with it was awesome. The bar chips were spot on cooked perfect. Both times we told the waitress what we thought when she asked, she said nothing, then after we paid the check the manger came over and asked how everything was and we said the same thing and we got the same response "I wish you said something before you paid we would have made it right." I'm going to wait 1 more month to let them try to work out the bugs but if both meals aren't on point I'm going to have to write this place off and continue with my mainstay Tribeca where I've only ever had a single problem meal. I'm really afraid WPT is more of a bar that serves food then a restaurant with a bar. So overall.
atmosphere (Decor) - it's a great space
atmosphere (people) - it's hard to judge the crowd it's was a 1/3 or less full both times, but the space is deceptively large
waitstaff, up to bringing food, fantastic, after very poor, knowledge of menu ehh
food - sauces fantastic, protein, inconsistent, sides poor.
Prices - if things were on point I was say they were on the high end of about right for a new restaurant, for what it was way high.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 AM

2,932 posts, read 6,740,673 times
Any good drink specials?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary