U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 AM

12 posts, read 14,931 times

Advertisements

We did end up moving here about two months ago from AZ. Honestly, I thought this summer would be worse than it has been. There were maybe a handful of days that seemed hot to me. Yes, there is humidity, but I would take this weather over Phoenix area for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 01:38 PM

189 posts, read 386,464 times
I am reading this thread sitting here wondering why I am even considering
living in Phoenix? I mean yes there is humidity in Raleigh but like
it has been mentioned Raleigh has seasons and a real FALL! I am not ready
to get rid of seasons and all that Raleigh has to offer. I mean the beach is under
2 hours and the mountains are only 3 hours the other way! I have lived in phoenix
in the past for several years and this summer in Phoenix reminds me of why I left.
Phoenix is like one big convection oven from late may thru late October!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 PM

224 posts, read 381,589 times
Default Hot in CA

The various weather descriptions in this thread's been very helpful. It's been triple digit in SoCal as we're nearing the end of summer. Summer's finally arrived! We'll be in Raleigh in a couple of weeks, and hopefully, the weather will be "a bit" cooler.

When we relocate, we'll be leaving behind the best thing about CA -- the weather.. I'm willing to trade that for 4 seasons and more friendly, real people .

Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 AM

448 posts, read 717,876 times
The humidity here is pretty high and when we moved here, we moved here when roads were buckling due to the extreme heat. At the time, I was saying, 115 is not too bad. However, as the season has continued, I am thinking it is not too bad and there are some lows in temp.

I am definitely looking forward to a real fall.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 AM

23 posts, read 32,889 times
I lived in Raleigh 8 yrs, until 2010. Loved it but...:

- If you have a screen porch with a ceiling fan on a non-sunny side of the house, it will pay for itself in pure joy the first few summers....

- The humidity is a bear, no way to soften that truth. AC is your best friend in the summer. It won't cool off at night like the desert does in parts of AZ, thats for sure....

- Trees block a lot of potential breezes....

The great springs and falls (and usually mild winters) make up for the hot summers, generally...

Mike

Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM

2,039 posts, read 2,374,632 times
Dew points in Raleigh are typically in the 70s in summer. Occasionally they will approach 80. Even people who are acclimated to the deep south will say it's uncomfortable when the dew point is 75 or higher. The temperature might be only in the 80s, but it's the dew point that makes things sticky.

Places outside the deep south also see dew points in the 70s -- but usually not the near-continuous 70s that you find in the deep south from Memorial Day to Labor Day. (As I write this, the Raleigh dew point is 65.)

People often quote a relative humidity number, but it's a complicated measure that most people don't really understand. Just find out what the dew point is and use that.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,727,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesWorld9999 View Post
- The humidity is a bear, no way to soften that truth. AC is your best friend in the summer. It won't cool off at night like the desert does in parts of AZ, thats for sure....

the low was 91 last night. This part of the desert sure doesn't cool off!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:22 AM

23 posts, read 32,889 times
Dont get me wrong, I loved Raleigh, seriously. Its just AC city in the summer, but lots of sun and puffy clouds and you kinda deal with it. Plus Raleigh is in the "pine tree zone" (unlike the Triad), so lots of green trees to look at throughout the area in winter. Its one of the reasons we moved there. (that, and a lot less interstate billboards along I-40, which drive me batty if its overkill)

Old 08-15-2012, 06:48 AM

247 posts, read 385,596 times
The difference is AC can cool you off in a car or house quite fast here. I did not find that true in AZ, especially in a car. And you do have nice breezes in the summer in AZ but its often felt like a oven blowing in your face. I do not miss the summer in AZ.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 PM

26 posts, read 91,453 times
Default Heat in arizona

There are many summers in Phoenix when it will be over 100 degrees for more then a 100 days in a row
and many days it will be 110-117 degrees . Also summers in Phoenix are for 5-6 months of the year.
So that is why so many people live here only during the winter months. And just to let everyone know
the heat and humidity in South Florida is by far the worst , North Carolina is nothing compared to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary