Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Yeah I think you'll be fine because it's all relative. If you're used to bad heat and humidity, it won't seem so bad here. I remember when I moved to Kyoto, which has the same climate as Raleigh in the summer, my coworkers from Michigan were acting like they were going to literally drop dead in the street from the heat and humidity. Meanwhile myself and my coworker from Georgia were like, "Y'all are crazy, this isn't even that hot."
This reminds me a few years ago someone I worked with had just moved down from northern Ohio over the winter, which was great from their point of view. Then the first day it was 80 and pretty humid and he was complaining about sweating and how hot it was. All I could do is laugh and say just you wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:42 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
This reminds me a few years ago someone I worked with had just moved down from northern Ohio over the winter, which was great from their point of view. Then the first day it was 80 and pretty humid and he was complaining about sweating and how hot it was. All I could do is laugh and say just you wait.
we get the same here! people move from a frigid snowy waste land and rave about the 70's in january....then april comes!!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
Quote:
The Raleigh weather history shows lows in the 60s and 70s during the summer. This looks like it would offer a reprieve from the heat at night and in early morning. Is this accurate?
Not in my opinion. June can be ok some days, it just depends on Mother Nature. But July, August and the beginning of September are miserable, IMO. The air is so thick, it's difficult to inhale. The evening "cool off" isn't really a cool off - and I don't recall 60 degree evenings here. Maybe mid to high 70s on a good night, but thick/solid air. The combination of heat and humidity is extremely oppressive, IMO. I hate summers in NC, but spring, fall and winter make up for it.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:06 PM

247 posts, read 452,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
generic, but very informative. If you wouldn't mind me eventually asking some questions please accept my "friend request" here on C-D.

I can only think of two questions really. Where there any big surprises moving there (taxes, culture, shopping, etc.), and besides friends families and Filly B's what do you miss most of Az?

I can't wait for rain!
Accepted! Some of the biggest surprises have come from cars. Speeding tickets go through lawyers and no traffic school. You register your car and license plate then a few months later you get a tax bill for your car. Also while you can get a discount for having your car and house insurance from the same company it has to be done differently here than it was in az.

I find shopping here to be great though Tucsons shopping scene isn't as huge as Phoenix so my comparison may not br the best reference. I did move out to a more rural area in Johnston county so not having a grocery store or shopping center within 5 -10 minutes took some getting used to.

Aside from friends, family and food I miss the mountains and the university, huge wildcats fans! I also miss seeing brightly painted low riders.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
ha! I walk outside in the morning here after being in my air conditioned house and immediately start swearing. Anything has got to be an improvement over this!
Swearing or sweating? or both?? lol

Old 04-11-2012, 01:35 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Swearing or sweating? or both?? lol
swearing! I go into full on gremlin mode....

usually goes like "aw %@#$ its so $%^&ing hawt! who the $%#@ thought a $%#&ing city in the %#$#ing desert was a good #$% %*@$ idea!"

Then i get my second foot out the door and the sweating starts

edit: I often compare the summer here to winter in the north east. I spend all my time outdoors shuffling from conditioned space to conditioned space with my head down.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM

12 posts, read 17,746 times
We are thinking of a move from Phoenix as well...this is a great thread. I have lived in FL before and the humidity wasn't too awful. I am assuming it is similar to that..could be wrong. My husband, on the other hand, has never lived anywhere but the desert, but I think he knows what he is getting into...hmm...

Old 04-11-2012, 02:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
We came from New Orleans and found the humidity OK.

However, the humidity makes it feel better at 100 in Vegas than 80 in Raleigh.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:04 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I like it when I go out to pick up the morning paper at dawn and the driveway is still hot on my feet from the day before.
Now, that there is a summertime experience!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Personally, I think the difference between our summers and less humid ones can be best felt when you either a) try to dry off after being in the pool or ocean or b) try to dry clothes out on a line. Notice how I used the word "try" at the begining of both of those statements? Yeah, that's because neither are really easy or quick. Drying off after getting out of a pool takes a good toweling because air drying aint gonna happen any time soon and clothes on a line can take aaaalllll day even in the sun because the air is almost as moist as the clothes!!

I've lived here all my life and wouldn't have it any other way but it's something for the newbs to think about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary