U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:31 PM

51 posts, read 144,801 times

Advertisements

Wow, it's raining here, I'd forgotten what that sounds like I'm building a new house in wake forest and it's not weathered in yet. Windows, rough plumbing and electrical is in and they've even slapped the siding on and painted it. But no roof shingles up top yet! So now it's raining and there are a lot of unsealed gaps in the roofing. I swung by earlier today and several of the windows were open Anything to worry about here (i.e. future mold problems, long term moisture damage)? That's untreated wood in the interior framing, so what happens when it gets a good soaking? This is the first time I've built a house, so any input to lower my general anxiety is much appreciated!

Last edited by Legal Alien; 09-14-2007 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 07:49 PM

19,689 posts, read 31,496,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Alien View Post
Wow, it's raining here, I'd forgotten what that sounds like I'm building a new house in wake forest and it's not weathered in yet. Windows, rough plumbing and electrical is in and they've even slapped the siding on and painted it. But no roof shingles up top yet! So now it's raining and there are a lot of unsealed gaps in the roofing. I swung by earlier today and several of the windows were open Anything to worry about here (i.e. future mold problems, long term moisture damage)? That's untreated wood in the interior framing, so what happens when it get's good soaking? This is the first time I've built a house, so any input to lower my general anxiety is much appreciated!
I believe you will be fine.
The house will air out and dry out.
The wood framing will not be bothered at all by a few good soakings.

The floor and roof decking will not be bothered by a few rains.
The resins and binders in the subfloor panels are made to withstand the elements for some exposure during construction. You might see some very minor surface material loosen, but overall it will not be material to the quality of your home.

To some extent, it can be a benefit, as it will help the roof and floor decks accept a level of moisture and acclimate. Panel products like OSB and plywood come from the factory very dry, maybe 4 or 5% moisture. They do well to acclimate to ambient air moisture of a much higher level. Duringthis acclimation, the panels will expand a little. Of course no builder has time to lay out sheets of plywood for a few days before installing, so the products tend to acclimate after installation. Good practice is to allow 1/8" space around the edges to permit expansion.
But.....
If you have ever seen a roof where you can see the outline of the 4X8 sheets of roof deck, it is because the decking has expanded after the shingles were installed and at the joints between sheets of plywood or OSB the shingles heave just a little. It can be very visible as the sun goe lower and casts the shadows.
I would actually feel a little good to have the roof deck soaked a couple of times before the shingles were installed. Might help avoid the heaves.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:28 PM

51 posts, read 144,801 times
MIke, thank you for your detailed reply and the reassurance. I had some problems with damp/mold in my last two (pre-owned) homes so I was worried about today's rain on the new place.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:30 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,967,240 times
Quote:
MIke, thank you for your detailed reply and the reassurance. I had some problems with damp/mold in my last two (pre-owned) homes so I was worried about today's rain on the new place.
I don't know the details...but I do know that our home was rained on at least once before waterproofed....it's been four years now and not a trace of mold of damp.

I would listen to Mike and not worry.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:31 PM

23,900 posts, read 19,942,340 times
Default Now I really feel great Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

The floor and roof decking will not be bothered by a few rains.
The resins and binders in the subfloor panels are made to withstand the elements for some exposure during construction. You might see some very minor surface material loosen, but overall it will not be material to the quality of your home.

To some extent, it can be a benefit, as it will help the roof and floor decks accept a level of moisture and acclimate. Panel products like OSB and plywood come from the factory very dry, maybe 4 or 5% moisture. They do well to acclimate to ambient air moisture of a much higher level. Duringthis acclimation, the panels will expand a little. Of course no builder has time to lay out sheets of plywood for a few days before installing, so the products tend to acclimate after installation. Good practice is to allow 1/8" space around the edges to permit expansion.
But.....
If you have ever seen a roof where you can see the outline of the 4X8 sheets of roof deck, it is because the decking has expanded after the shingles were installed and at the joints between sheets of plywood or OSB the shingles heave just a little. It can be very visible as the sun goe lower and casts the shadows.
I would actually feel a little good to have the roof deck soaked a couple of times before the shingles were installed. Might help avoid the heaves.
Geeeez Mike, here I was feeling great that from ground breaking until today and we are under roof, brick and siding on, that there had been no rain. Now I find out I would be better off if there had been some. Here I was happy for nothing.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Geeeez Mike, here I was feeling great that from ground breaking until today and we are under roof, brick and siding on, that there had been no rain. Now I find out I would be better off if there had been some. Here I was happy for nothing.
But...But... Uh-h-h-h-h... Your house is the exception and it is absolutely perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just how it is!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:47 PM

22,063 posts, read 40,023,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Is Mike really Bob Villa Or Ty Pennigton?? oooo oooo

I get nosey in a thread and I learn stuff from his posts I know how HVAC works and now roofing. Maybe he hosta that website How Stuff Works.. Or maybe we should have a thread that just says "Ask Mike"

Old 09-14-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Is Mike really Bob Villa Or Ty Pennigton?? oooo oooo

I get nosey in a thread and I learn stuff from his posts I know how HVAC works and now roofing. Maybe he hosta that website How Stuff Works.. Or maybe we should have a thread that just says "Ask Mike"
He is the creator and host of "How Stuff Gets Busted and Never Gets Fixed."

Old 09-15-2007, 11:28 AM

3,155 posts, read 7,033,954 times
Quote:
Wow, it's raining here, I'd forgotten what that sounds like I'm building a new house in wake forest and it's not weathered in yet. Windows, rough plumbing and electrical is in and they've even slapped the siding on and painted it. But no roof shingles up top yet! So now it's raining and there are a lot of unsealed gaps in the roofing. I swung by earlier today and several of the windows were open Anything to worry about here (i.e. future mold problems, long term moisture damage)? That's untreated wood in the interior framing, so what happens when it gets a good soaking? This is the first time I've built a house, so any input to lower my general anxiety is much appreciated!
Mike gave you some good info! We use to live in Portland, Or where it rains 9 months of the year. And we had several neighbors take the roof off and add additions. I asked a contractor friend the same question as you asked and basically got the same answer Mike gave you. So if they can pull off building in the rain in Oregon you know it can be done here in NC.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:23 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,720,763 times
We had the same problem when we built our home. It was started in February and complete in July. It rained on it and even snowed when we were building it and we never experinced any problems. The house has plenty of time to dry out as other people that commented on your question said. I would not worry about it if it has not been insulated yet or sheetrocked.

Remember the lumber yards for the most part keep the lumber out side and it gets wet when its stored and shipped. Plus it sometimesw gets rained on when its delivered to your house before it is used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary