U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,507,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdisc View Post
chapelhillnews.com | Taxpayers to eat unpaid school lunch tab

I'm always happy to see my tax dollars used to reinforce the lack of personal responsibility by others.

I really think they should've just sold the debt to a collection agency after the numerous attempts to collect in completely reasonable ways. Didn't we learn enough about moral hazards in the last couple of years?

Please note I believe that food is a basic need and that no child should go hungry. However, the behavior of the parents in question and the school board in response in this case is disappointing.
The school should notify Child Protective Services before forgiving the balance.

If the family is needy, CPS can help them get free or reduced cost meals. If not, action can be instituted to get the children out of the unfit home if food money is being wasted on non-essential purchases (e.g. booze/drugs).

Also, birth control should be offered - "Don't breed 'em if you can't feed 'em".

Should it be discovered the family has no right to be in the US, Immigration needs to remove them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 AM

15,766 posts, read 24,025,669 times
It can become part of the school budget once we get teachers a raise every year (they haven't had one in 4 years here in Wake County - think at some point THAT might affect your student's performance?), and the major transportation issues get resolved.

It is a school's duty to educate children. It is a parent's duty to feed, clothe, and house them. What's next - kids who don't come to school with a jacket get to pick and choose from the lost-n-found? Parents lose their house to foreclosure so they get put up in the school gym?

There are resources for people who cannot afford school lunch. Not taking advantage is sheer laziness, but I suspect most of the people who are the biggest deadbeats here are ones who can well afford to pay for lunch.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,645,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The school should notify Child Protective Services before forgiving the balance.

If the family is needy, CPS can help them get free or reduced cost meals. If not, action can be instituted to get the children out of the unfit home if food money is being wasted on non-essential purchases (e.g. booze/drugs).

Also, birth control should be offered - "Don't breed 'em if you can't feed 'em".

Should it be discovered the family has no right to be in the US, Immigration needs to remove them.
Dear Lord talk about jumping to conclusions. The fact is we have no idea why these debts are unpaid. Heck, my little sister used to go get lunch on loan from the cafeteria because she wanted to eat their crappy pizza instead of the nice lunch my mom provided us. The kaputs got put on that real quick once the school called my mom and told her the bill my sister racked up. Rather than wasting taxpayer dollars sending out CPS to all these homes they should just send these bills to collections like any other unpaid debt.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,507,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Dear Lord talk about jumping to conclusions. The fact is we have no idea why these debts are unpaid. Heck, my little sister used to go get lunch on loan from the cafeteria because she wanted to eat their crappy pizza instead of the nice lunch my mom provided us. The kaputs got put on that real quick once the school called my mom and told her the bill my sister racked up. Rather than wasting taxpayer dollars sending out CPS to all these homes they should just send these bills to collections like any other unpaid debt.
No,

Having worked in a collection agency many years ago, I need to share with you.

Small bills normally get no more attention from an agency than one or two form letters. This is because the agency is only paid a percentage fee if they actually collect the debt. Most flakes know that and simply ignore the form letters.

If the school has called home and sent notes, CPS needs to investigate the home in my opinion at least to get the family's attention.

The family can be asked to appear at the CPS office to save taxpayer money.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:37 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,052,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
At my school we have about 900 kids. a lunch costs $2.50. In a year of school that is $409,500. So I don't see schools just putting it in their budgets. I see two types of kids who owe money: One that parents don't take it seriously and the other that parents don't have the money but do receive food stamps and also qualify for free lunch but are slow at getting it done. Once the free or reduced lunch paper is done it is not retroactive so it doesn't take care of balances.
Maybe in the bolded part there's a way to 'split the difference'. What if they did something like this:
If you owe a balance you can then fill out the paperwork for free or reduced lunch. If you qualify, the balance is forgiven and you're now enrolled in the program. If you don't qualify, you gotta pay up or go to collections. That way, the parents who could afford it in the first place (just lazy or thinking the school wont act) are held accountable and those that weren't paying because they can't stop racking up the debt.

That way, the school at least gets back some of the money it's owed and hopefully this happends less in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary