U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,492,142 times

Advertisements

We pay $50/month for water in our apt. Two adults and a washing machine.

Of course, our Raleigh bill is padded with lots of junk fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,420,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm2802 View Post
North_Raleigh_Guy, as you can see from the posts above some people don't even have to pay for water. We moved to this area from the Northeast and in that part of the country charging for Water/Sewer is almost unheard of when it comes to renting.
Every renter is paying for water / sewer one way or another. You either get your own bill or the average cost per household of the utilitiy is factored in to the rent you pay. Aprtment complexes and local governments aren't in the business of giving services out for free. Trust me, people might think they are getting it for free, but in reality they realy aren't.

I assume you knew the terms of your lease included that you would pay a separate water bill and in all fairness paying one penny per gallon for water/sewer is very cheap. I'm not sure what grounds you would have to complain to the management company but good luck.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:00 AM

1,254 posts, read 4,265,247 times
Anyone stating that water is free in their apartment is mistaken, water is built into the rent, you're not getting anything for free...when I had an apartment in Brier Creek, they said "free basic cable" but they built $60.00 into the rent for that "free" service...TWC confirmed it when I added services like a digital cable box and internet...

As far as the water, I've posted before about the rates in Town of Cary...my opinion, extremely high...I'm in a home, single, and my bill averages $50-$60 a month...yes I shower everyday, sometimes twice and do laundry once a week with an HE washer...so it's definitely the rates not the consumption...My current bill is $4.36 per 1,000 gallons {entering} and $10.10 per 1,000 gallons {exiting} for sewer. I average 2,500-3,000 gallons monthly...also there is a base $5.00 charge each month... Oh well, what can you do, you need water service and it's a monopoly, can't go anywhere else for water/sewer...unless you drill a well, which I don't think the HOA will allow...lol

Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 AM

31,611 posts, read 55,335,524 times
Average $60.00/month here, with two people, and that includes trash and recycling.
I think our use of water is average.

$4.36/thousand gallons is a Morrisville rate as the residents amortize the cost of the merger of Morrisville and Cary utility services:

http://budget.townofcary.org/budget/currentyearapproved/aob/utilityrates.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 AM

676 posts, read 1,475,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm2802 View Post
North_Raleigh_Guy, as you can see from the posts above some people don't even have to pay for water. We moved to this area from the Northeast and in that part of the country charging for Water/Sewer is almost unheard of when it comes to renting.
Where in the Northeast are you from? I am from Maryland and it is unheard of for them NOT to charge for water/sewer there. When I moved here I was extremely surprised (and happy!) to find an apartment in Cary that didn't charge for water.

I'm not sure there is much difference in the cost of water/sewer between apartments and private homes, though, other than an admin. fee for third-party billing for apartment complexes. Either way, you're paying for what you use.

We do pay for water now in my apartment complex (I'm very thankful for the two years that I lived here that we didn't have to pay) and my bill averages $36/month for ~2600 gallons/month. This includes an $8 admin. fee which drives me crazy. Without the admin. fee it works out to ~$.01/gallon for water/sewer combined.

It's just me and my teenaged son and we usually each only shower once a day, however he does take a second shower some days if he's been out playing basketball. I take a bath once a week.

There is a single lady in my building who is very conservative with her water and her bill averages $16/month. Half of that is the admin. fee.

Edit: I just found this on the third-party billing website:

Sewer

Sewer service is provided by Town of Cary, PO Box 8049 Cary, NC 27512-8049. They can be contacted at (949) 469-4050. You are billed at sewer service rates based on the amount of water used in your unit. The meter reads listed are in per gallon units. You are charged $0.00773 per gallon.

Water

Water service is provided by Town of Cary, PO Box 8049 Cary, NC 27512-8049. They can be contacted at (949) 469-4050. You are billed at water service rates based on the amount of water used in your unit. The meter reads listed are in per gallon units. You are charged $0.00408 per gallon.

Water Admin Fee

Administrative fee consisting of $3.75 for meter reading, billing and collecting costs and a $4.72 base charge for water and sewer service.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,637,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
Anyone stating that water is free in their apartment is mistaken, water is built into the rent, you're not getting anything for free...when I had an apartment in Brier Creek, they said "free basic cable" but they built $60.00 into the rent for that "free" service...TWC confirmed it when I added services like a digital cable box and internet...
Exactly. They find one way or another to charge you for it.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM

3,154 posts, read 3,820,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post

Water Admin Fee

Administrative fee consisting of $3.75 for meter reading, billing and collecting costs and a $4.72 base charge for water and sewer service.
Now that the ToC completed installation of the new Sensus system which eliminates manually reading the meter, does that cost go down?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,492,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Now that the ToC completed installation of the new Sensus system which eliminates manually reading the meter, does that cost go down?
You must be dreaming! It went up in Raleigh. We even got a 15% thanks for reducing consumption by conservation.

Cities are no better than private utilities and. with the assumption they are acting in good faith, are not regulated by the NC Public Utilities Commission.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM

3,406 posts, read 8,993,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
Where in the Northeast are you from? I am from Maryland and it is unheard of for them NOT to charge for water/sewer there.
I concur. I lived in CT and NY and was charged seperately for water in both places. Conversely, I wasn't charged for water when I first moved to NC. I'm currently at about $100 a month (2 adults in a 3BR apartment).

Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM

41 posts, read 53,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I concur. I lived in CT and NY and was charged seperately for water in both places. Conversely, I wasn't charged for water when I first moved to NC. I'm currently at about $100 a month (2 adults in a 3BR apartment).
We rented various apartments in MA and never had to pay for water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary